Position Wanted IMG ophthamologist and starting over in the states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel R

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a board certified ophthalmologist in my country . ECFMG certified recently . my academic credentials are excellent . I am willing to start over in the states . I would like to ask about the best way to do so !
should I apply for fellowship or residency first !
as I don't have any research experience ,,, what is the best way to find a paid research position in this field so that I increase my chances !
Should I give it a chance or this seems to be a waste of time !

Appreciate your suggestions and input .
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Ophthalmology is very competitive field among US graduates. As an IMG, it would be even more difficult.
You would def need research, letters for US ophthalmologist etc and even then it would be an uphill battle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Ophthalmology is very competitive field among US graduates. As an IMG, it would be even more difficult.
You would def need research, letters for US ophthalmologist etc and even then it would be an uphill battle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Angel,

Most FMGs will need to have an incredible CV and USMLE scores. If you haven't taken those exams, that would be your first goal- crushing the Steps.

Can you legally come to the US? VISA issues are very real- especially with this administration.

Since ophthalmology is a very competitive specialty, you will probably need at least 2+ years of productive research (writing manuscripts as first author publications in high impact factor journals) with well-known ophthalmology faculty- top tier institutions. These positions are typically UNPAID. You need to being able to network, work hard, and be well-liked. Your PI/mentors will need to be able to write an incredibly strong letters of recommendation and be willing to advocate on your behalf (make phone calls, etc).

If English is not your first language, you will have an additional barrier to overcome.

If you really have the drive, it can be done, but it's going to take several years of very hard work- and in the end, there is still no guarantee.

If you have a solid job in your home country, do you really want to spend the next 5-8 years doing this with the high potential not to work out? Only you can answer that question. You won't be operating on patients for a very long time and will have revisit the dreaded PGY 1 internship.

I love ophthalmology, but would I be willing to go thru the arduous process of residency again- no less in a different country? I don't know.

There are few rare stories where an FMG ophthalmologist completed a clinical fellowship and during that year applied to ophthalmology residencies- and ended up getting a position. Others, applied- did not get in. Went on to do residency in Internal Medicine. Midway thru, found and was offered a position off-cycle.

So there are many permutations, but each takes time and is a roll of the dice.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your answer. I guess you have mentioned all points I was wondering about .
I passed USMLEs with good scores ( step1 255 , step 2 269 , CS pass from first attempt ) . I have B1/B2 visa but I can come if the programs sponsor J1 or H1 visa as well . Regarding if I am willing to work 7 more years to get something that is not guaranteed , I am thinking of this as a way to practice what I love in the long term in a place where they respect hard work and dedication . Being able to reach this will make it worthy .I think at this point I will apply for fellowship so that I will be more familiar with system and at the same time trying to do some research . The following step after that will be applying for residency if circumstances allow .
Again , I appreciate your comment and reply . Wishing you all the best

Regards ,
QUOTE="foureyes, post: 19033210, member: 94461"]Angel,

Most FMGs will need to have an incredible CV and USMLE scores. If you haven't taken those exams, that would be your first goal- crushing the Steps.

Can you legally come to the US? VISA issues are very real- especially with this administration.

Since ophthalmology is a very competitive specialty, you will probably need at least 2+ years of productive research (writing manuscripts as first author publications in high impact factor journals) with well-known ophthalmology faculty- top tier institutions. These positions are typically UNPAID. You need to being able to network, work hard, and be well-liked. Your PI/mentors will need to be able to write an incredibly strong letters of recommendation and be willing to advocate on your behalf (make phone calls, etc).

If English is not your first language, you will have an additional barrier to overcome.

If you really have the drive, it can be done, but it's going to take several years of very hard work- and in the end, there is still no guarantee.

If you have a solid job in your home country, do you really want to spend the next 5-8 years doing this with the high potential not to work out? Only you can answer that question. You won't be operating on patients for a very long time and will have revisit the dreaded PGY 1 internship.

I love ophthalmology, but would I be willing to go thru the arduous process of residency again- no less in a different country? I don't know.

There are few rare stories where an FMG ophthalmologist completed a clinical fellowship and during that year applied to ophthalmology residencies- and ended up getting a position. Others, applied- did not get in. Went on to do residency in Internal Medicine. Midway thru, found and was offered a position off-cycle.

So there are many permutations, but each takes time and is a roll of the dice.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.[/QUOTE]

Honestly best possible thing to do would be get a TY or prelim surgery position. Heck even a regular get surgery wont hurt. Coz for IMG they are looking for super strong US experience mostly clinical. thats what my take is. Also i think you need to go through san fran match for optho.

I am a board certified ophthalmologist in my country . ECFMG certified recently . my academic credentials are excellent . I am willing to start over in the states . I would like to ask about the best way to do so !
should I apply for fellowship or residency first !
as I don't have any research experience ,,, what is the best way to find a paid research position in this field so that I increase my chances !
Should I give it a chance or this seems to be a waste of time !

Appreciate your suggestions and input .
Thank you

Try to apply ophthalmology pathology which counts as pre-residency training! available in several top ophthalmology programs like Palmer, Wills, Casey.

Then you will have some connection in ophthalmology.