IMG match to family medicine residency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalupatti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an IMG, did medical school from India and wish to do family medicine residency in Canada. What are the chances of matching once I complete the MCCexams? Does research experience make a difference in the chances?
Also, what other credentials do the Canadians look for in a candidate?
It would be great if anyone could help me with these questions.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am an IMG, did medical school from India and wish to do family medicine residency in Canada. What are the chances of matching once I complete the MCCexams? Does research experience make a difference in the chances?
Also, what other credentials do the Canadians look for in a candidate?
It would be great if anyone could help me with these questions.

thanks.

Why do you want to do family med in Canada? Are you Canadian?
Think more about this decision because it comes with consequences. Read about RoS contracts. Also you most likely have to be a fresh graduate from a recognized university. No, research is not important for FM. You will be competing with hundreds of Canadian-citizen applicants from highly respectable universities in Europe so it's not easy at all. Also I suspect Canada to start favoring Canadian citizens in the near future, as many of the Canadians are now studying abroad with huge debts ($300k+) and would like to go back home. So they won't be happy if Canada goes around accepting foreigners and forgets about their students (who did their Undergrad degree in Canada).

It's really competitive to get a residency in Canada. Many FMG's only make it as a doctor in Canada after many years of trying while they do something else.

Anyway if you have specific questions, pm me. I'll warn you though, if you are really serious about moving to Canada there is a big chance you won't be able to practice medicine and will have to choose a different path.

Members don't see this ad :)
I met so many doctors in Canada that graduated from Asia/Africa and are now cab drivers.

There are many true FMGs doing residency in family medicine especially in Ontario. If you think you have a strong application and are a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, I would definitely try. Just because you didn't grow up in Canada does not mean the door is closed to you.

Also I suspect Canada to start favoring Canadian citizens in the near future

One more time for everybody in the cheap seats:

To match to a Canadian residency you must be a Canadian citizen or PR.