IMG friendly PM&R programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that NY state in general is IMG friendly. But does anyone know of specific PM&R prgrams in the country that are more receptive to foreign grads who are US citizens?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you have to look for IMG friendly residency programs in PM&R. I applied to most of the residencies outside of NY and CA(about 50) and had probably 40+ invites as a USIMG. Do a rotation, get letters of rec refering to your interest in PM&R, and score better on the MLEs than the average US applicants and you will have alot of options.

Good Luck

PS-call the programs and speak with the residency secretaries, they will give you an idea. Colorado and Washington basically told me not to bother applying(I did anyway and did not get an interview).

PSS-Read Dr. Cuts thread under international section on maximizing the match for alot of great insights on successfully matching as a USIMG.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
nvrsumr,

thanks for the reply. since u applied to many programs in NY & CA, do u know of some of the less competitive PM&R programs that are IMG friendly? i barely passed the USMLE Step 1, so my options will be limited.

I applied to most of the programs outside of NY and CA. Sorry I cant be of more help.

nvrsumr,

is it possible to "rotate" after i already graduated and did an internbship in the philippines? i am currently revewing for step1 in d.c. and was going to try and find a place and see if they would allow me to"volunteer"

thanks