IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got an email from Hoboken FM residency asking why I'd like to train there. This was last week monday. Anyone else get it as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
3 interview invites, 1 waitlist, 4 rejections

I'm really really freaking out about how little IIs I've got :( I sent out emails to my top programs 2 weeks ago but no response.

3 interview invites, 1 waitlist, 4 rejections

I'm really really freaking out about how little IIs I've got :( I sent out emails to my top programs 2 weeks ago but no response.
If you US IMG, 3 IVs can be enough. Just do very well on interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
How many interviews as non-US IMG require for a possible match?
i have seen people matching with 1-2 iv. have seen people not matching with 7-9 iv. but ideally, you would want 8-10 to be safe. but again it all depends on your IV skills and most importantly luck. Good luck

1st IV today!!! - LSU Monroe

Reactions: 4 users
Did anybody got an interview invite from Robert Packer Hospital/Guthrie Program Family Medicine not able to schedule this interview through eras, opened it just 2mts after I got the mail, it shows only the waitlist option. Any idea of how to approach this issue.

Did anybody got an interview invite from Robert Packer Hospital/Guthrie Program Family Medicine not able to schedule this interview through eras, opened it just 2mts after I got the mail, it shows only the waitlist option. Any idea of how to approach this issue.
their IV dates have been full for a while, so youre on the waitlist probably

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, In the email, they say you have been selected for an interview Not waitlisted, I think they have invited more candidates then the interview spot I guess. In this session, nobody seems to cancels the interview.

I’m sorry, but my anxiety and depression has been haunting me a lot these past few weeks and I just had to get this off my chest...

I feel so sad and embarrassed at how little interviews I’ve gotten. True, there are others with less than me and I am grateful that the programs that have accepted me for an interview so far have been incredibly generou. I feel very fortunate. Yet I feel so sad when I hear about my IMG classmates receiving more invitations than me and I feel so insecure about myself. I already emailed letters of interest to programs twice and have not heard anything. It’s so tough being an img where you work harder and see little to no results. Everyday I grow more worried and upset with no eras notification and keep wondering what I’ve done wrong and what if I don’t match and more crazy thoughts. Again I know that there are others out there with worse off situations than me, but I feel really down...

I’m sorry, but my anxiety and depression has been haunting me a lot these past few weeks and I just had to get this off my chest...

I feel so sad and embarrassed at how little interviews I’ve gotten. True, there are others with less than me and I am grateful that the programs that have accepted me for an interview so far have been incredibly generou. I feel very fortunate. Yet I feel so sad when I hear about my IMG classmates receiving more invitations than me and I feel so insecure about myself. I already emailed letters of interest to programs twice and have not heard anything. It’s so tough being an img where you work harder and see little to no results. Everyday I grow more worried and upset with no eras notification and keep wondering what I’ve done wrong and what if I don’t match and more crazy thoughts. Again I know that there are others out there with worse off situations than me, but I feel really down...
I understand where you are coming from. Especially this cycle since its so hard to tell whether 5, 6 or however many interviews have been enough to match in the past will be enough this year given the situation and how all interviews are virtual. Just stay positive and remember we are only a little more than a month into this application cycle.

I am sorry for how you are feeling. I am in a similar boat.
Would you mind elaborating on how many interviews (or what range) constitute as having “very little interviews”? And how many interviews your IMG classmates are receiving that will count as “more invitations”.
Thanks in advance

I am sorry for how you are feeling. I am in a similar boat.
Would you mind elaborating on how many interviews (or what range) constitute as having “very little interviews”? And how many interviews your IMG classmates are receiving that will count as “more invitations”.
Thanks in advance

I was hoping for at least 4-6 interviews at this point? (Haha now that I write this sentence I feel so foolish and arrogant for thinking I was good enough to be considered...). From what my research has shown (again, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong), at least 5+ interviews would help increase your chances of matching...

One classmate who is applying into both FM and IM applied into 90 programs total and has received 7 invitations. Another classmate is applying into pathology (I know I shouldn't compare myself to their situation as it's another field, but can't help feeling so insecure...), applied to around 35 programs and got 10+ invitations already.

Has anyone heard from Oakland Physicians Medical Center Program in Pontiac MI?

Has anyone heard from Oakland Physicians Medical Center Program in Pontiac MI?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
So obviously this is messed up, but also the following is pretty problematic for a residency program:

"While Pontiac General is licensed for 306 beds, only about 30 of the licensed beds are staffed in a medical-surgical unit that ranges occupancy from 25 percent to 50 percent. It also operates a 30-bed adult psychiatric unit that averages more than a 90 percent occupancy rate."
-Doing the math here means that on average the hospital seems to have had only 7-15 pts on their medical unit. I'd be worried about the training here.

So obviously this is messed up, but also the following is pretty problematic for a residency program:

"While Pontiac General is licensed for 306 beds, only about 30 of the licensed beds are staffed in a medical-surgical unit that ranges occupancy from 25 percent to 50 percent. It also operates a 30-bed adult psychiatric unit that averages more than a 90 percent occupancy rate."
-Doing the math here means that on average the hospital seems to have had only 7-15 pts on their medical unit. I'd be worried about the training here.

wow pretty disgusting...not surprised at all.

Anybody IV'd at JFK, New Jersey and can share some insight into the IV day?

Does anyone have any advice about waitlists? I feel so anxious and have reached out to programs that have waitlisted me.

you should be good then. Nothing to worry about

I only have 2. and those are from contacts. and I also passed step 3 last month. nothing but crickets this month. so consider yourself lucky and relax

I only have 2. and those are from contacts. and I also passed step 3 last month. nothing but crickets this month. so consider yourself lucky and relax
Best of luck, I really hope you get more interview invites. Congrats for passing Step 3 as well!

Guys, have 5 IV’s total (3 completed) 1 in IM 4 FM, another waitlist still waiting, just wanna make sure i’ll match... whats the chances... US IMG, step 3 passed...

got an interview from a program back in November and had it scheduled for next week. i get an email today stating that for "unforeseen circumstances" my application has been put on waitlist and that if something comes up they will be in touch.

What could possibly be the reason for something like this? is this even allowed to happen? can a program grant an interview, schedule it, then take it away a week before.? I called and emailed the program coordinator and no response. also sent an email to the PD and still no response. what should I do?

got an interview from a program back in November and had it scheduled for next week. i get an email today stating that for "unforeseen circumstances" my application has been put on waitlist and that if something comes up they will be in touch.

What could possibly be the reason for something like this? is this even allowed to happen? can a program grant an interview, schedule it, then take it away a week before.? I called and emailed the program coordinator and no response. also sent an email to the PD and still no response. what should I do?
They certainly can do it, but it's quite messed up. It's possible they canceled their remaining interview dates, felt they had enough applicants or the interviewers don't have time or something.

As far as what you should do, I think you have done what you should as far as attempting to contact the program coordinator. I'm sorry this happened.

That is too bad, which is this program they should be reported i assume, or at least let us all know the name so that this can be taken care of while ranking.

They certainly can do it, but it's quite messed up. It's possible they canceled their remaining interview dates, felt they had enough applicants or the interviewers don't have time or something.

As far as what you should do, I think you have done what you should as far as attempting to contact the program coordinator. I'm sorry this happened.

OK. honestly I'm pretty upset. I didn't have many interviews to begin with and now my chances of matching have further decreased. I really just want an honest clarification. We pour practically our lives and well-being into this process and the least they can do is give a short explanation. stating that there was an unforeseen circumstance sounds vague and undoubtedly fishy at best.

Is it possible or worthwhile to take this up with ERAS? I am considering filing a complaint?

Thank you.

That is too bad, which is this program they should be reported i assume, or at least let us all know the name so that this can be taken care of while ranking.

Sorry wish I could. I don't feel comfortable posting the program name.

OK. honestly I'm pretty upset. I didn't have many interviews to begin with and now my chances of matching have further decreased. I really just want an honest clarification. We pour practically our lives and well-being into this process and the least they can do is give a short explanation. stating that there was an unforeseen circumstance sounds vague and undoubtedly fishy at best.

Is it possible or worthwhile to take this up with ERAS? I am considering filing a complaint?

Thank you.
After you match, I would file a complaint. If you don't match its ultimately up to you as far as risk vs benefit. Its messed up, but they have have far more power in this process than applicants do, and some programs abuse it.

I remember when I applied one time I had scheduled an interview right after Thanksgiving and they asked if I wanted to change it and offered other dates, but I couldn't due to other interviews and work, so they honored it and I couldn't meet with everyone that I would have. They should have done the same for you, and the fact that they didn't is really messed up and I think warrants reporting them. Now whether it does anything is anyone's guess.

Last year it was much more active. remember guys by sharing your experience you helping future candidates and you set realistic expectations for them. it is end of the match seasons. please share how many IVs you got and your credentials . From the sound of it , it was tough year in general for IMG. Most of my friends with stellar scores only received 5 or less IVs. I am guessing SOAP will play big role this year, because it is clear residency programs got fooled by attendance from AMGs because of online interviewing.

IMO, any hospitals < 300 beds should not be the primary site of an IM residency program. FM is not too heavy inpatient, so I think 200+ beds should be ok.

Last year it was much more active. remember guys by sharing your experience you helping future candidates and you set realistic expectations for them. it is end of the match seasons. please share how many IVs you got and your credentials . From the sound of it , it was tough year in general for IMG. Most of my friends with stellar scores only received 5 or less IVs. I am guessing SOAP will play big role this year, because it is clear residency programs got fooled by attendance from AMGs because of online interviewing.
201/217 step 1/2
Repeated preclinical term
Big 4 Carib school

12 IVs total (9 FM + 3 psych)

**Hoping this thread becomes more active too because I've been hearing from basically no one (in person or online) this entire interview cycle.

IMO, any hospitals < 300 beds should not be the primary site of an IM residency program. FM is not too heavy inpatient, so I think 200+ beds should be ok.

225/217 OET
YOG 2018 Non US IMG with Green Card
3 months USCE
Interviews: 3 FM and 1 IM

Non US-IMG - Needs Visa

YOG: 2021
Step 1 : 23X (1st attempt)
Step 2: 24X (1st attempt)
CS: Applying through Pathway 4
OET: Pass (In January 2021)
Step 3: Not done
USCE: All cores/electives in US
4 US LORs
5 Journal Publications + 3 Posters

Interviews: 11 FM and 6 IM

Non US-IMG - Needs Visa

YOG: 2021
Step 1 : 23X (1st attempt)
Step 2: 24X (1st attempt)
CS: Applying through Pathway 4
OET: Pass (In January 2021)
Step 3: Not done
USCE: All cores/electives in US
4 US LORs
5 Journal Publications + 3 Posters

Interviews: 11 FM and 6 IM
You will match somewhere, but I am surprised that you only got 6 IM invites...

Hey guys did anyone match here? I did and I will write a review of my journey for future readers. Other peoples posts have really helped me and I want to make sure I contribute.

Reactions: 1 users