Img anthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you all know the cause and probably the solution to your problem.

Cause is greed.

Solution is to beef up your residency and make it noticeably more comprehensive than the nurses. There is just no way anesthesia residency can be done in 3.5 years in the OR or ICU. Just impossible when the rest of the English speaking world take 5 to 8 years.

And that's the rub. There's not much difference on paper between you two so they claim.

They can't do that to a Canadian, a brit or an aussie. And they don't.

It’ll be interesting to see where the difference comes. The training probably has more ICU time in countries outside the USA. And raw EEG;). Are all trainees in UK and Canada coming out with better echo, regional, and peds skills? More liver and lung transplants?

Members don't see this ad.

Their residencies are so long that by the end of it they forget how to wake someone up from a volatile anesthetic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I found training in Ireland to be very bed side oriented. RCSI med students/residents were top notch.

I found training in Ireland to be very bed side oriented. RCSI med students/residents were top notch.
What do you mean bedside oriented? And as far as adding in years like @Newtwo suggested, do the hours come close I wonder? I mean working 55-65 hours a week during residency versus 40 hours, there is a difference. It maybe equivalent to a 5 year residency over there.
But consultants over there also manage the ICUs which most anesthesiologists in this country hate. And that does require extra training.
The difference is honestly greed. This I agree with.
I would love to hear @dhb experience with CRNAs in Europe. Most of the ones I work with at my second gig are cool and respectful. And always call for help and inductions. It’s the culture.