IM to Anesthesia? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedIM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just about done with my first year of internal medicine. It was always my dream to do cardiology, however, since I started residency I am just not satisfied with IM. I am not quite sure what it is but I think I just don't enjoy the patient interaction. I am really tired of psych patients and social admits. I am also tired of how IM is just a dumping service. I feel like I just can't put up with these patients anymore. I always wanted to do cardiology but just thinking of going through 5 more years of being unhappy is making me depressed. A friend encouraged me to consider going into Anesthesiology, but I am not sure if this is the best decision for me. My concerns about it are does it have enough medicine? Does it have a lot of physics (not my best subject)? Also, I don't really like the critical care setting. I am doing a rotation in it to help me figure things out. However, I need to act fast if I want to join it because July is around the corner & there probably aren't even any vacancies left. So far what I like about anesthesiology is that everything is so fast. It's just case after case and you don't have to worry about seeing the same patients everyday. There is little patient interaction and you don't have to worry about social admits. I also really like doing procedures. I am very confused about whether I should stay in IM or switch to anesthesiology. I don't want to make a mistake. Also, I think I might be too late to make the switch for this July. I am fearing leaving something like IM that is comfortable to me (in terms of knowledge) and leaving it for something I know so little about. Please give me advice/suggestions. I could use all the help I can get! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I switched from IM to anesthesia and Have some strong thoughts on it if u would like to pm me I will elaborate.