i'm such an idiot!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was making up sample loading buffers for westerns and silver gel stains...i should've worn a mask. apparantly some of the brilliant glue and bromophenol blue went up my nose, because i've bot blue snot now. guys...seriously, is this stuff carcinogenic?

Members don't see this ad.

you will die in approximately 27 minutes from now

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
you will die in approximately 27 minutes from now

Seriously, I know someone who died because of that. It took 35 minutes, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Seriously, I know someone who died because of that. It took 35 minutes, though.

dangit...you're right.

My lab TA gave me the wrong calculation. I'm going to book a flight and meet up with him, and tell him how pathetic he is teaching me the wrong stuff. That bastard....

i hope you have life insurance. at least the family can have a nice steak dinner on you.

:D

i doubt a small amount that you may have snorted would do anything.

Yeah, it's probably carcinogenic.

Worse stuff I know of that people have survived:

1). My AP Chem professor told us that when he was in college, his lab partner accidentally spilled some perchloric acid on himself. He didn't notice until a few seconds later when his lab coat was completely destroyed.

2). A chem student two years ahead of me took an open bottle of bromine water out of his fume hood for a few seconds. He inhaled some, which started destroying all of the double bonds in his lungs. He couldn't speak for 3 days because of the damage. Then he was horse for awhile.

3). On two separate occasions in my chemistry lab, a post-doc and a grad student dripped some HF (aq) on their arms while using it to clean glassware. One of it was only a drop, the other was a large spill. I believe they had to have part of their bones drilled into to remove the parts affected by the HF spill.

4). I was checking to see if some acetic anhydride I had that wasn't working had turned into acetic acid. Took a tiny whiff instead of wafting some of it into the air (waft when smelling chemicals people, waft!) and bam, crappy headache and I thought I was going to pass out. Luckily it was only a small whiff and I put it under the fume hood quickly enough.

The headache lasted until I took advil.

(Yeah, yeah, I know mine was the least dangerous of the 5 examples. grr... )

I do know that bromphenol blue is used in some medical imaging procedures. I doubt that would be the case if it were a powerful carcinogen.

Originally posted by Rendar5
Yeah, it's probably carcinogenic.

Worse stuff I know of that people have survived:

2). A chem student two years ahead of me took an open bottle of bromine water out of his fume hood for a few seconds. He inhaled some, which started destroying all of the double bonds in his lungs. He couldn't speak for 3 days because of the damage. Then he was horse for awhile.

:wow: man, and i thought the sulfuric-acid induced hole on my fave pair of jeans (what was i thinking, wearing them to lab :rolleyes: ) was bad. oh, there was one time i was identifying an unknown compound and one of the clues was "fishy odors = amine compounds", so i did the smell thing instead of wafting...dang, that stuff burned a hole through my nose. oh well. i guess it's part of the road we brave as the scientists willing to make true sacrifices for knowledge ;) :p

oh, to the op: everything is freaking carcinogenic these days. i'd tell a supervisor about it and see what they recommend. but i wouldn't worry about it as long as you're feeling ok. i don't know what brilliant glue is, but bromophenol blue...that's just a weak acid/indicator, right? probably tells you something about the pH of your snot...

Brilliant is an irritant but not a carcinogen, if my lab memory serves me right...

I once spilled concentrated HCL all over my shirt, which I promptly ripped off... there was the giant pink discoloration where it spilled on the fabric. The weird thing was, I looked at the shirt two days later and the color was back to normal. Freaky.

I also once managed to get acrylamide IN MY MOUTH... I don't even want to explain how.... Also have inhaled glacial acetic acid many times because our lab doesn't have a fume hood in it and I'm too lazy to go to our hood room.

yeah, my lab where I work now doesn't have that great fume hoods for working with chemicals, and I end up getting fumes of acetic acid all the time. I also occasionally have to deal with HCl fumes from 10M bottles (the official description of the smell of HCl that I saw in a really old CRC or some chemical reference book was "choking". So true.)

Absolute worst thing I hate inhaling? Yeast extract. bleagh.

Finnpipette posted that message an hour and a half ago. MAYBE HE'S ALREADY DEAD!!!:eek:

Originally posted by Slickness
Finnpipette posted that message an hour and a half ago. MAYBE HE'S ALREADY DEAD!!!:eek:

well theres one less applicant to worry about.

;)

:laugh: :laugh:

just playing fools...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jlee9531
well theres one less applicant to worry about.

;)

:laugh: :laugh:

just playing fools...;)

ditto except i ain't joking.

so i guess we should do some type of sdn memorial to finne?

i mean its the human thing to do right?

a moment of silence...

..let's PARTY!!!

No guys, I'm serious. Maybe he is dead.

Wow, this thread is so appropriate.
Right now I'm in my lab working overtime (developing my western and stuff)

Anyhow, I once had a spill which involved some ethidium bromide on my lab coat, shirt, shoes, etc... Lucky for me it was diluted like 1 to 1000000 and I didn't get any on my skin. Whew! I won't be having 3 eyed kids after all...

Wait, is this acrylamide on my arm????

[To be continued]

Originally posted by premedi-kid
Wow, this thread is so appropriate.
Right now I'm in my lab working overtime (developing my western and stuff)

Anyhow, I once had a spill which involved some ethidium bromide on my lab coat, shirt, shoes, etc... Lucky for me it was diluted like 1 to 1000000 and I didn't get any on my skin. Whew! I won't be having 3 eyed kids after all...

Wait, is this acrylamide on my arm????

[To be continued]

I spilled Ethidium Bromide on my hand a few years ago *oops*

My fav chem story is the time in general chem when we were doing the lab problems and one said "what would have happened had you mixed X and Y, instead of X and Z" and we got the bright idea of trying by experimentation. Our answer read "it will quickly boil, then explode scattering the test tube all over the lab".

Just look at the MSDS sheet and will find the necessary procedures for exposure.

Herp

let me get this straight, this guy got in a potentially chem lab accident, realized it, and proceeded to post on SDN rather than going to a hospital?

That's like, finding myself being on fire and then logging on AIM to tell everyone...

where is s/he? finnpipette...post and let us know you're ok?

Originally posted by spumoni620
where is s/he? finnpipette...post and let us know you're ok?
I think he's dead.

Blue snot!!? Try to sneeze onto as many people and things as possible on the way to the hospital!

Hope you feel better man,

TF

Yeah, my lab partner def. spilled some ethidium bromide onto my pants, arm, and all over the floor. It was EVERYWHERE. I ran to get a spill kit and he proceeded to wipe it up without gloves on. Doesn't that stuff intercalate between your DNA? I sure hope his repair-e-rases are working okay.....

So far, I haven't grown a 3rd arm or seen any patches of scaly skin so I think I'm alright for now.

There is a man in my lab who never wears gloves when handling EtBr gels, a common occurence for him.

(Russian accent): "But I have seven layers of skin that are like seven layers of gloves protecting my hands."

No sixth finger or cancer yet....;)

Dude, are you still alive?

Originally posted by Treg
There is a man in my lab who never wears gloves when handling EtBr gels, a common occurence for him.

(Russian accent): "But I have seven layers of skin that are like seven layers of gloves protecting my hands."

No sixth finger or cancer yet....;)

now THAT is comedy.

yeah.. dude. are you alive? this is the last thread you posted

im sure hes just enjoying thanksgiving dinner with his family while etbr is intercalating between his dna....;)

Excerpt from MSDS from www.acros.com

Section 10 - Stability and Reactivity
Chemical Stability Not available.
Conditions to Avoid Incompatible materials.
Incompatibilities with Other Materials Strong oxidizing agents.
Hazardous Decomposition Products Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, hydrogen bromide.
Hazardous Polymerization Will not occur.

Section 11 - Toxicological Information
RTECS# CAS# 115-39-9: SJ7453000
LD50/LC50 Not available.

Carcinogenicity BROMOPHENOL BLUE INDICATOR - Not listed by ACGIH, IARC, NIOSH, NTP, or OSHA.
See actual entry in RTECS for complete information.

I'll think he'll pull through

I think I am the queen of lab accidents....

I have spilled bacteria all over the micro lab, I have broken more glassware than I could ever admit to my lab director, and I spilled some chemical all over my lab parter in Orgo that burned his hand.

However, the best is in my high school lab when we doing one of those simple little experiments in the classroom. Our teacher was in his office mixing up chemicals for the next portion and the rest of us were using the fume hood for something (I don't remember exactly what, but it had sulfur in it, because it stank!!).

The room started stinking really badly, and all of our eyes and noses started running. My teacher came out and got mad at us for not using the hood, but when he came over, he saw that we were. We looked at the pipe going into the wall. He ran next door and saw that the vent went out of our room, down the wall of the next, and back into our room. He came back in, and sure enough, there was a hole leading right back into our room. We had to evacuate teh entire hall because the stuff stank so bad!!!

Originally posted by drlexygoat
Yeah, my lab partner def. spilled some ethidium bromide onto my pants, arm, and all over the floor. It was EVERYWHERE. I ran to get a spill kit and he proceeded to wipe it up without gloves on. Doesn't that stuff intercalate between your DNA? I sure hope his repair-e-rases are working okay.....

So far, I haven't grown a 3rd arm or seen any patches of scaly skin so I think I'm alright for now.

You won't feel the effects, but your children will. If it gets into your germ-line cells, your children will be born with defects. I say get gonadectomized ASAP!

....or look it up your Merck. You do have a Merck, don't you?