I'm starting my senior year of high school, how do I look so far?

C4WDeX

Doctor Who?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to become a doctor ever since my dad had a brain tumor and required very risky surgery around his pituitary gland.

GPA (Right Now): 3.8
Class Rank: Top 25% (I'm thinking around 33rd/400.)
PSAT Score: 1100/1600 (I can do a lot better, I didn't take the PSAT's seriously as they are a joke.)

I'm taking my SAT in September and AP Physics this year. I've done 3 years of Latin, and am an honor's student. I know I don't compare to some of the people here with 13 AP classes in High School, but I don't believe taking them with a High School schedule of 45min classes a day.

My ECs are a little better...

• Participated in UConn's Mini-Medical Program (2-Hour seminar, once a week, for 10 weeks. High School students are lectured about various positions in the medical field and what they do.)
  • Best Sportmanship Award at ConnCollege's Lacrosse Camp
  • National Honor's Society
  • First Male President (in our school's history) for National Art Honors Society
  • 300 Hours of Volunteering at my local hospital.
  • First job was CNC Milling surgical equipment.
  • Nominated to become a Peer Mediator within my school.
  • Going to shadow a general surgeon in my local hospital for a week.
Can't think of others ATM, but I know there are more. Plus I plan on starting a couple of clubs and joining a couple of others for my senior year.

I know I am not like some of the kids here who have resumes to make Yale student's jealous. But I would like some constructive help on what I should improve, do, and change.

I do not plan on taking an accelerated program to MD. I am most likely going to do 4 years of an undergrad at University of Connecticut which is very diverse and offers everything including a hospital with a trauma center. After that, medical school, which UConn has a very good one. But you never know.

Thanks guys :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Really, the only thing I can say for you to do is to continue to work this hard in college. For the most part it doesn't really matter what you did in high school.

When it comes time to apply for med school you can briefly mention your involvement/medical work experience in high school as further proof that you've thought long about this decision and have been working towards this goal for a while....but that's about it.

Have fun, try not to burn out your senior year of high school because you're going to want to work hard during undergrad to stay competitive while also hopefully enjoying the fun side of college.

My Advice: Do some research. Contact local colleges or hospitals to see if research is available. Also, try to become a EMT-b, that might be very educational and helpful in your admissions. (Your comments about 13 ap classes resemble my thread...;-0)