IM rotation: best practical guide (ideally electronic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdultEndo

Reaction score
Background: I'm an adult endocrinologist, out of residency by almost 20 years. I'm getting pulled to do hospitalist work due to the pandemic. I'm looking for books (ideally electronic) that you all would use to prepare for a 4th year IM sub internship and that you would want to have with you when doing admissions. I really am hoping to find one reference that will get me started placing orders and refamiliarizing myself with how to do inpatient general internal medicine.

Can someone point me to the best reference for practical orders (including dosing) in the inpatient setting as in "here's your patient with an exacerbation of systolic HF, here's the basics of what you order" or "here's the basic choices of antimicrobials for cellulitis." I've narrowed it down to Pocket Medicine (mass general) or Maxwell Quick reference. Preferences or other suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this aging endocrinologist who took her original IM boards with a pencil!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a hospitalist so these programs for your phone may help :

I use the subscription-based Epocrates routinely when I need to look up certain disorders, key tests I need to order for those more esoteric disorders you don't see everyday. Epocrates is also great for pharmacy and drug interactions now that everybody and their great grandmother is on amiodarone or some-such.

UCSF Hospitalist Handbook is free on your phone. I reference this mainly for my students, because it's got good generic guidelines for management on the bread and butter you should see on the wards and admissions coming through the ER. So you may find this one most helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Many thanks for those suggestions! I’m hopeful I don’t need this knowledge but want to be prepared!