IM residency vs Pathology as an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docsbc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this my 1st post. I am IMG applying for this year residency requiring visa, with creds 253/256/cs 1st attempt, yog 2014 and pathology home country residency from India year 2014-2017. My husband is having home country IM residency with 245/239/cs 1st pass and same yog 2014. So he is definitely applying for IM.. We want to go for couple match.. And I am in big dilemma regarding IM vs pathology.. I like the lifestyle of pathologist, but at the same time worried about the job market as I will need H1b after residency and I don't want to go for 7days off and on hospitalist job after IM.. Right now in US and doing IM observership..

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of options in the IM pathway. Primary care, hospitalist, sub specialty, etc.
Path - seems most of my hematopath colleagues are doing even another fellowship even after this, so 6 years total training just like the IM sub specialties, in order to stay on the coastal cities. If you guys are going the J1 visa route, you may do better going IM and both taking waiver years while being paid handsomely to do so. Or you could always dual apply....

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your reply.. Which branch do you think would have better couple match chances as per our profiles? Both of us going for IM or he goes for IM and I for pathology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply.. Which branch do you think would have better couple match chances as per our profiles? Both of us going for IM or he goes for IM and I for pathology?
Probably doesn’t make much of a difference though if both of you are going for IM you may find that some of the smaller programs may not want to have a couple in the same program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Probably doesn’t make much of a difference though if both of you are going for IM you have fond that some of the smaller programs may not want to have a couple in the same program.
Okay.. Thank you..

Probably doesn’t make much of a difference though if both of you are going for IM you may find that some of the smaller programs may not want to have a couple in the same program.

I think this is a decision you should make based on whether you want to see patients or if you never want to touch a living patient again unless its an intermittent needle biopsy. Once you choose path, you will never really be patient facing again. This is important to some people.

Reactions: 1 users