IM program invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at both. Seemed to me like Pennsy had a more family oriented vibe and the hospital staff and faculty seemed (from vine i got from the residents as well as reddit etc) more enthusiastic about teaching and everyone was more chill. NJMS i hear the overall vibe at the main hospital (university hospital) is pretty cuthroat and there are attendings that arent very nice and ignore you. NJMS overall as a program is a decent academic program with plenty of resources and very very solid match list yet the vibe i got on interview day is that you really have to bust ur butt and dig deep to find research opportunities so someone interested in GI where research is mega important that may be a con for you bc I know it is for me. Pennsy seemed like the research opportunities were endless with HUP connects and ample opportunities to get set up with well known/strong GI mentors based on interactions with residents. Pennsy just seemed better overall in most aspects. Yes its a “communiversity” program and NJMS is a full university/academic program but I dont think that really matters much. For what its worth and I know I may get hate for this comment Pennsy got ranked 21 for rep/prestige on Doximity so take that how u want it some may say doximity hyped them too much idk. Im personally ranking Pennsy above NJMS
agree with the above, Pennsy has way better QOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys have any opinions on any of these programs or how you would rank them?

IU
U Mass
USF
UKMC
UT San Antonio
URMC
Loyola
Penn State
MCW
SLU

Do you guys have any opinions on any of these programs or how you would rank them?

IU
U Mass
USF
UKMC
UT San Antonio
URMC
Loyola
Penn State
MCW
SLU
what are ur priorities? what are ur career goals? fellowship? if u care about rep the most then IU MCW Rochester and USF should be in top 4. IU and Rochester are the best programs on ur list. USF for location and Hemeonc (Moffitt)

Members don't see this ad :)
what are ur priorities? what are ur career goals? fellowship? if u care about rep the most then IU MCW Rochester and USF should be in top 4. IU and Rochester are the best programs on ur list. USF for location and Hemeonc (Moffitt)

Priorities: hem/onc fellowship & research, non-malignant, QOL, reputation

Just got my step 2 score back. 252. Really underperformed considering i had a 2 point drop from my Step 1 and my practice NBMEs were 260+ which was my goal. How much you guys think this will hurt me for ranking? @AlteredScale any input?

Just got my step 2 score back. 252. Really underperformed considering i had a drop from my Step 1 and my practice NBMEs were 260+ which was my goal. How much you guys think this will hurt me for ranking?
Really doubt it’s gonna hurt you. 252 is really solid still and as long as it’s still within a few points of ur step 1 you should be fine.

Priorities: hem/onc fellowship & research, non-malignant, QOL, reputation
If QOL is a high priority, MCW's 28 hour calls probably won't be your jam. Unless you're into that sort of thing!

Anyone else overanalyzing everything and being stressed from it? Will you guys be very disappointed if you don't match your top 3 or just happy that you matched? I keep trying to tell myself to just be happy this process is over and I wont have to do it again if I match.

Anyone else overanalyzing everything and being stressed from it? Will you guys be very disappointed if you don't match your top 3 or just happy that you matched? I keep trying to tell myself to just be happy this process is over and I wont have to do it again if I match.
Ill be very dissappointed but not like distraught. I really want my top 3 but if I get anywhere within my top 7 id realistically be decently content. After 7 id be very very very very very disappointed

Just got my step 2 score back. 252. Really underperformed considering i had a 2 point drop from my Step 1 and my practice NBMEs were 260+ which was my goal. How much you guys think this will hurt me for ranking? @AlteredScale any input?
It's not going to hurt your ranking.

If QOL is a high priority, MCW's 28 hour calls probably won't be your jam. Unless you're into that sort of thing!
Having done both 28's and night float, 28hr call isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Also, the person I know at MCW absolutely loves it there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having done both 28's and night float, 28hr call isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Also, the person I know at MCW absolutely loves it there.
Right I didn't mean for my "Unless you're into that sort of thing!" to come off as a joke or anything. I know some people actually prefer 24+ hour call > night float. Just not for me!

I will be bummed if I don't match in my top 4.

Reactions: 2 users
Ill be very dissappointed but not like distraught. I really want my top 3 but if I get anywhere within my top 7 id realistically be decently content. After 7 id be very very very very very disappointed
I am mentally trying to prepare myself with the possibility of dropping very low on my match list =(

As much as my list changes daily, my number 1 remains pretty constant. That makes me feel like I'll be semi-disappointed if I don't see their name on match day.

Had an interview at a program that has really good fellowship match list and good reputation but wasn't a fan of the faculty I interviewed with....should I let that influence my rank order decision? The faculty were nice but I felt like they werent the best people to interview me bc they arent directly working with residents in the clinical setting so they couldnt answer some of my questions. Overall just didnt get a good vibe from them based on their interview day even though everyone was friendly.

Had an interview at a program that has really good fellowship match list and good reputation but wasn't a fan of the faculty I interviewed with....should I let that influence my rank order decision? The faculty were nice but I felt like they werent the best people to interview me bc they arent directly working with residents in the clinical setting so they couldnt answer some of my questions. Overall just didnt get a good vibe from them based on their interview day even though everyone was friendly.
I personally wouldn’t let one or two faculty interactions dictate your whole decision. Sometimes it’s just luck of the draw. I’d maybe suggest reaching out to some current 2nd/3rd year residents who can answer some of your questions.

I really can't give a great answer because each program is different with how much they weigh this but a 2pt drop shouldn't be a huge deal. I think @NotAProgDirector would have a better answer.

I really can't give a great answer because each program is different with how much they weigh this but a 2pt drop shouldn't be a huge deal. I think @NotAProgDirector would have a better answer.
What about for GI fellowship down the road? Do I need 260+ Step 2 for the top programs? Or will 250+ on Step 1 and 2 be good enough to have a shot contingent upon matching a strong Uni internal medicine program and having strong mentors/research

Well, let's see...
Yes, I'd say other people are overthinking too. There's a whole separate ERAS Panic thread, if you need more panic in your life.

A 252 is absolutely fine.

What about for GI fellowship down the road? Do I need 260+ Step 2 for the top programs? Or will 250+ on Step 1 and 2 be good enough to have a shot contingent upon matching a strong Uni internal medicine program and having strong mentors/research
Not an issue. 252 is fine.

• Love
As important step scores are the vibe I’ve gotten for gi fellowship is research and clinical performance are the most important

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but was wondering how important is the fellowship match list at a program?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but was wondering how important is the fellowship match list at a program?

Wouldn't spend much time worrying about the specific matches and more on percent matched in that year. A consistent 100% match year to year is good.

If comparing Winston Salem, NC and Cleveland, OH-anyone have an idea whats better for dating, food scene, more stuff to do? To me culture seems about the same at CCF and WF and now it comes down to location for me

If comparing Winston Salem, NC and Cleveland, OH-anyone have an idea whats better for dating, food scene, more stuff to do? To me culture seems about the same at CCF and WF and now it comes down to location for me
Cleveland is a much bigger city, based purely on that I’d give them the lead in those categories

• Love

Cleveland all the way for what you had said. If into hiking and stuff then NC

• Love
Has anyone sent out a Letter of Intent? If so, how long was your LOI?

Sent mine 2 days ago. About 7-8 sentences. Intro paragraph stating I’m ranking them one. Then body paragraph of 3 sentences (all about why I like them). Conclusion paragraph thanking them for IV.

I haven't hit send on mine but have it drafted out. It's 12 sentences, ~3 paragraphs. First "paragraph" isn't really a paragraph, it's basically just two sentences saying hi and that they're number one. Second paragraph outlining why from a personal standpoint (like, reasons that were apparent pre-interview). Third paragraph adds more reasons why that were confirmed on interview day/interactions with the residents. I've thought about trimming out but I want to make sure I say everything.

I lived in cleveland for 2 years, just FYI food is bad. Like overpriced and honestly some of the worst I have ever eaten.

Otherwise cleveland is great though!
Oh wow ok id imagine it has to be better than Winston salem food scene lol. Im getting the general consensus is Cleveland>Winston salem all around

Any thoughts on NJMS vs Einstein Philly for GI fellowship, rep, training?
NJMS>>>>>>>Einstein philly all around. NJMS is a well established strong academic program with a very good match list. Einstein philly is a community program. They arent even in the same league

Oh wow ok id imagine it has to be better than Winston salem food scene lol. Im getting the general consensus is Cleveland>Winston salem all around
Cleveland is def better but beware the food!

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in. Over the halfway mark of intern year! As you guys are making your rank lists, really do factor in the feel you got from people that day. Yes fellowships, research are all important but if you go to a University program or even a well-regarded community program, fellowships will be within your reach. It really depends on how much you want it . One thing that is not on you is the people you're surrounded with, that is a factor you can not control once you're at the program. You want to make sure the program has a culture of support. At my program, interns take night float by themselves after January. We each carry 60-70 patients plus are all first line all RRTs and Codes that happen overnight in the hospital. I could have not gotten through those weeks without my fellow co-interns and the seniors on our night admitting service. It turned out to be one of my highest periods of growth in residency so far. So please do factor in "the people" factor. It is very important. Go to a program full of normal, chill people haha Good luck with the coming weeks, all you will be excellent!

Question, my mentor said he'd email my top choice for me if I want. I already sent an LOI, so don't want be annoying to the PD, but should I take him up on his offer?

Are PDs technically allowed to respond to LOIs? Sent mine in but havent heard anything back.

Question, my mentor said he'd email my top choice for me if I want. I already sent an LOI, so don't want be annoying to the PD, but should I take him up on his offer?
I would. Can't really see a negative of having someone rooting for you.

How many sub-Is did you guys do? Do you think the mid-tier academic places are worth Sub-Ing at?

How many sub-Is did you guys do? Do you think the mid-tier academic places are worth Sub-Ing at?
Sub-I's don't mean much in IM... only if your scores aren't good on paper and think you can impress on a month long audition at a mid tier academic program would it be worth it. Or if you want like one particular program then it'd be worth it, or you could be not liked by the residents for any reason and shoot yourself in the foot. All depends on how good you are on paper: step scores/research/extra-curriculars.

Edit: You SHOULD do a sub-I in IM (either through your school or elsewhere) to get that experience, and to potentially get a letter/chair letter. But it is not necessarily have to be at a particular program/mid tier institution. I was asked about my IM sub-I on interviews so you should do one, since it's expected of MD students, it just doesn't necessarily have to be where you want to match, unlike surgery and surgical subs where sub-I's and auditions can matter a lot(especially at former aoa places).

Last edited:
  • Love