IM Preliminary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vamshi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am an IMG and am new to this forum and have participated in this year's match. I got partially matched to an advanced Neurology position and am now in need of a preliminary spot. It would be great if someone could help me. I'm trying SOAP but I wanted to try everything that I could so that I dont loose my PGY2 position. Please help guys!
My scores are 213, 250, 213, CS/pass. All first attempts. Have two posters and 4 months of observership. I require visa.
Kindly, let me know if you have anything. My email id - [email protected]
and contact number - 248-766-9534. Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

death merchant - do you have any idea about how do we get to know about the positions that are not participating match?
are you an IMG?

Dont give up guys! I was in the same boat last year where I was struggling to find a prelim IM. But things do open up towards the end, and you have until July 1st to secure a position. I ended up getting a prelim IM poistion end of May because the program had extra funding for one more spot. Prelim surg is also a possibility as there are lots of unmatched spots usually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the prelim IM at another program in another state, they just happend to get funding for another 1 year contract. I tried to contact and email a lot of programs in April/May, after the activity gets low and things get settled, some programs still have unexpected openings. Aside from funding, another reason a program can have an opening is if they accepted an Visa candidate and the Visa falls through at the end, then the program desperately needs a last min. replacement. All I can say is keep trying even until July. Something may open.

Thank you deathmerchant and islandMD!

deathmerchant - were you able find something ? how are you planning to find it ? any ideas ? please let me know!

Hi everyone! I was unable to secure a prelim position also but got a advanced neuro spot. Any advice or help as to how to find unfilled positions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you to you all.

people....so only an internal medicine pgy-1 meets the prerequisites for advanced neuro?

found a prelim position..all set for neurology...:) thanks guys for your support

found a prelim position..all set for neurology...:) thanks guys for your support
Hey everyone!!
I'm in pretty much the same situation as you guys. Have already matched into an advanced Neurology program but couldn't secure a PGY-1 in this year's match. SOAP wasn't much help and although I have registered with Resident Swap, it hasn't been much help. I'm in dire need of help and would appreciate any advice that I can get. I did email a bunch of program directors randomly right after the Match Result. I'm an IMG, Canadian Citizen with US clinical experience and international publications.

If anyone gets to know of any PGY-1 opportunities in IM or Transitional year, I'd be obliged if you could contact me on [email protected]. Kalyansajja, do you mind telling me how you were able to find your prelim position?

Thanks so much guys and all the very best to us all! :)