IM Official Rejection 2009-2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrates Airee, I have to say, I am kind of jeoulous!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely Airee! Congrats!!!

Adding myself to the rejection pile from Columbia, JHU and UCSF.

"By the pricking of my thumbs, hopefully a Columbia rejection this way comes."
- the Frugal Traveler about the prestigious Columbia Department of Internal Medicine, a beloved SDN favorite thanks to the infamous 'prestige' thread.

I haven't received my rejection from Columbia... it will be nice to receive some word from them. It is the last one pending. Thanks to the USMLE, I am utilizing a mature defense mechanism (anticipation).

One day... one day... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg28MFD1R84

:laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This new rejection just dropped today! Johns Hopkins - Bayview. It was a bit presumptuous, too: "While I know you will be disappointed with this decision..."

This new rejection just dropped today! Johns Hopkins - Bayview. It was a bit presumptuous, too: "While I know you will be disappointed with this decision..."

If I remember correctly tfom, you have an interview at the Osler program right? This is rather funny. I know a ton of people who've been rejected by Bayview and I still havent gotten mine...makes me feel that I was marked inactive since the start ;)....anyway, if they reject people like you its probably their loss. Have a blast in the other programs!

+1 for me at the same place as tfom08.

Hopefully, more invites come out.

Serious? Oh well, their loss...

Add on Penn to the pile

Shortest rejection email ever :lol:

I am still waiting on my hopkins and 3 harvard rejections!! why are they taking so long!

Add on Penn to the pile

Shortest rejection email ever :lol:

One of my colleagues applying for surg got the shortest rejection ever - the body of the email had just two words in it -

Not interested.

This was followed by the signature of the PD.

Dont quite know how to put that into perspective ;)

Adding mine - Columbia and eagerly awaiting my Harvard rejection x 3.

Who needs Boston when Worcester is available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not interested! lol thats horrible. I know someone applying for ENT who got a rejection letter saying, please don't call us, our decision is final! I am not sure if he was exagerating though

One of my colleagues applying for surg got the shortest rejection ever - the body of the email had just two words in it -

Not interested.

Are you serious?? That's just super unprofessional and reflects poorly on the program imo

Not interested! lol thats horrible. I know someone applying for ENT who got a rejection letter saying, please don't call us, our decision is final! I am not sure if he was exagerating though

I think I got one of those from an IM community program - dont call us - I was like, for sure. Thanks. Its a pity these programs dont communicate well.

I have seen some emails (not received by me) saying that, we are currently reviewing your application/have placed you on our waitlist. IF YOU CALL US, your application will be discarded/looked at unfavorably/whatever threat.
Its hilarious to read some of these.

Lol- Wake Forest, sent me an email confirming my interview date, then sent an email to the whole crowd stating that it was a mistake. It looks like they sent my IV date to the whole crowd. Then they emailed again saying don't contact us, we can't get through all of the emails. Then they sent another email with the word Recall. I guess they could have avoided all of this had I withdrawn my application from ERAS. Though, I'm not doing that yet, till I sign on the line on Friday...

Lol- Wake Forest, sent me an email confirming my interview date, then sent an email to the whole crowd stating that it was a mistake. It looks like they sent my IV date to the whole crowd. Then they emailed again saying don't contact us, we can't get through all of the emails. Then they sent another email with the word Recall. I guess they could have avoided all of this had I withdrawn my application from ERAS. Though, I'm not doing that yet, till I sign on the line on Friday...

ROTFL - Ariee..that message was meant to go to you?! I know a ton of people who are super annoyed because of that malfunction!

Add another one to the Columbia Rejection List.

...thought I had one from Penn...but it was followed by an interview invite...gotta verify whats goin on...

Add another one to the Columbia Rejection List.

...thought I had one from Penn...but it was followed by an interview invite...gotta verify whats goin on...

exact same story from penn...but the interview offer was apparently legit! :laugh:

Rejection from Mass General, my 4th rejection this year. I guess the top 4 programs all pick the same incredibly smart med students! Its probably for the best since my application probably won't be ranked that highly compared to those applicants. So this will save me some money in traveling.

On another note, it felt good canceling a few interviews at top tier programs yesterday!

Rejection from Mass General, my 4th rejection this year. I guess the top 4 programs all pick the same incredibly smart med students! Its probably for the best since my application probably won't be ranked that highly compared to those applicants. So this will save me some money in traveling.

On another note, it felt good canceling a few interviews at top tier programs yesterday!

+1. Though, I must say this rejection was perhaps the nicest I've received. It doesn't assume that I will withdraw from the match after the rejection (thanks hopkins).

+1. Though, I must say this rejection was perhaps the nicest I've received. It doesn't assume that I will withdraw from the match after the rejection (thanks hopkins).

I dont know if you got the same rejection as I did, but mine clearly expressed that they didnt even bother to look at my application (we accept that our decisions to interview are somewhat arbitrary????) - I wonder if that was an unintented insult to those they invited :lol:

I agree, it was very well written unlike the others in the rapidly growing pile of rejections I have right now. I'm sitting at a pretty 5 rejections right now and this was easily the best... rejection letter I've received!

sounds like MGH went for the "it's not you, it's me" approach

You're giving me the "It's not you, it's me" routine? I invented "It's not you, it's me"! Nobody tells me it's them, not me. If it's anybody, it's me!

sounds like MGH went for the "it's not you, it's me" approach

You're giving me the "It's not you, it's me" routine? I invented "It's not you, it's me"! Nobody tells me it's them, not me. If it's anybody, it's me!

A+ for the Urban Dictionary format.

rejections from mgh, JH-bayview. didnt realize bayview was so competitive

Ariee, that famed interviewee was you?! :roflcopter:

I got the error email too, a little too soon after my victory dance :mad:

Not interested.

That one takes the cake!:laugh:

I have been lacking...

Here we go for me:
Virginia Mason
Vanderbilt
Providence, WA
UNC

Upside, received 2 pre-match offer's this week and I believe I will take the one I got today, b/c that is my #1 (mid-tier University program)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Woooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, no more IV trail for me (I think)!!! :D:D
Hey people, just wondering... what is a pre-match offer? I haven't heard about those.

A prematch offer is offered to 3 types of candidates, namely independent applicants:
1. IMG
2. DO
3. Graduated AMG
The program offers you a position if you are the above 3 and secures your seat in the match. The applicant will then have to withdraw from the match. You sign your contract and you know where you're going for July.

I've gotten a lot of PM's about this. I assure everyone it's totally legit and not illegal :( (otherwise I wouldn't have posted about it)...:oops:

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I hope y'all get your #1's too!!! Great bunch on here :)

lol! i get kinda jealous when u use my link...j/k :roflcopter:

BWH rejection. I guess the Harvard hospitals just don't like me. I got another its not us, but you kind of suck to be ranked in our program, rejection letter! Waiting for the beth israel rejection letter and then that will be it folks

BWH rejection. I guess the Harvard hospitals just don't like me. I got another its not us, but you kind of suck to be ranked in our program, rejection letter! Waiting for the beth israel rejection letter and then that will be it folks

I think BI doesnt send out rejections till the end of Jan. BWH rejection for me too - and Stanford just arrived.

Last edited:
I politely emailed Stanford today to inquire about my app...and 2 hours later I had my first rejection :)

I politely emailed Stanford today to inquire about my app...and 2 hours later I had my first rejection :)

I'm pretty sure it's not because of your email. Today happens to be Stanford rejection day. I got one too lol. Oh well...........

I'm pretty sure it's not because of your email. Today happens to be Stanford rejection day. I got one too lol. Oh well...........

It's nice of them to be sending them though. I'm still waiting for my residency and fellowship application rejections from Stanford 2 and 4 years later.

BWH added to the list

Really just waiting for 4 more rejections- not that bad, I appreciate not being left in the dark.

I guess no program wants to reject anyone on thanksgiving :)

Sorry to hear about all the rejections.

If you guys wouldn't mind, would everyone please post their step 1 scores and AOA status with the rejections notifications?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry to hear about all the rejections.

If you guys wouldn't mind, would everyone please post their step 1 scores and AOA status with the rejections notifications?

Thanks a lot.

Step 1 - 287
AOA status - of course!!:confused:
Mensa - since I was 16 :D

BTW that was a joke ;)

Does anyone know if tulane sends out rejection letters! thanks

Step 1 - 287
AOA status - of course!!:confused:
Mensa - since I was 16 :D

Out of genuine curiosity, I hear on and off about MENSA in the residency apps. Does this carry any weight at all?

Out of the race for a position at Mount Sinai NYC

I received an interview invitation from UAB, declined it, and withdrew my application.

Today = rejection letter from UAB

I'm puzzled to receive a rejection after I rejected the program... but posting just for reference in case anyone is waiting to go on the hour bus ride in Birmingham.

Hope everyone is having a fun time on interviews. I'll be back in February unless other odd things happen. :laugh: