I'm not worthy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andres9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been pessimistic about medical school this year because of my less than stunning gpa (3.3 cumulative gpa).

I have not taken the MCAT, but I have taken prep tests (Hesi and Teas) and scored above the 80% mark so I think I should do mediocre to well on the MCAT.

I'm native american, and mexican. So hopefully affirmative action can help me out where my GPA is lacking.

But I guess what I really want is some advice...
I'm 20 (going to be 21 soon), gay, prefers cold over heat, and have not decided on a definite profession yet. (just not primary care)

Let me know if you have any advice, or can suggest any schools for someone like myself.

If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read.
-Andres

Members don't see this ad.

It's difficult to suggest schools when you haven't taken the MCAT and haven't listed any ECs or even any passions.

What is "Hesi and Teas"

Members don't see this ad :)
Performing well on standardized tests has little to no correlation with how you'll perform on the MCAT. I walked into the SAT/ACT with absolutely no prep and finished with very high percentiles. If I were to do that with the MCAT I'd probably be sitting in the bottom quarter/half of test takers.

That being said, you need to study. Hesi and Teas (the nursing equivalent of the MCAT) pale in comparison to the MCAT. Aside from the slew of USMLE/COMLEX exams you'll take depending on the type of medical school you attend (allopathic/osteopathic, respectively) the MCAT will undoubtedly be the hardest exam you'll face, regardless of the fact there are less than 150 questions collectively (and a writing prompt if you take it this year).

Being a URM (Native American/Mexican) will surely be to your advantage, but you'll still need to perform fairly well on the MCAT to make up for your sub-par GPA. Being gay does not help, or a vast majority of applicants would identify as such.

Last edited:
OP is most likely asking which schools may be more LGBT friendly.

Why did you add that you were gay? Are you looking for support? What does that have to do with becoming a doctor?

Why did you add that you were gay? Are you looking for support? What does that have to do with becoming a doctor?

Pretty sure OP added that so that we don't recommend schools in Alabama where he will be persecuted.

(No offense to any Alabamans that aren't stereotypical :p)

I suggest putting on some big-boy lederhosen and cramming the next year with difficult science classes and doing your best to ace them. You might want to apply DO instead of MD (at least this cycle) and, as the others suggested, do well on the MCAT (and by well, I think you could probably get by with >32). Definitely update the schools with your Fall semester grades (which you must do quite well in). From my own experience, it seems that schools really value upwards trends (even miraculous, senior-year turnarounds). If you end up with a 3.4, I think you might have a shot. Definitely don't do what I do ALL THE TIME = wallow in misery and get nothing done. :)

Also, I also mentioned my own LGBT status on some secondaries last year as it was a major factor for some, ahem, disappointing grades. Never even came up anywhere (granted, I only interviewed at 3 schools). I'm pretty sure there's no need to mention it unless it has had some great impact on your grades/ECs.

Last edited: