"I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jennette McCurdy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PTSD is a specific response to trauma, which in my opinion is far less important than maladaptive coping skills, tendencies toward substance use, unhealthy lifestyle habits, and epigenetic changes that stem from significant, and particularly chronic, stressors. If you've got some compelling literature on resilience I would love to see it, honestly. Most of what I've read is centered around specific events such as war or terrorism which likely have different effects upon individuals than the more common sorts of chronic stress and adversity that are often perpetuated by caregivers, family dynamics, and trusted individuals that is more insidious and difficult to quantify and study. People are quite resilient to specific traumatic events, that is clear (unless these events consume much of their lives, such as in the study of former Ugandan child soldiers, in which the great majority had trauma symptoms). But resilience in the face of other adverse experiences is more what I would be interested to know if there is any outcomes research, particularly in the more common context of these events occurring at the hands of a trusted/loved one over a prolonged period of time.

I'd have to dig out my thesis for specific cites, but look at the Rutter stuff as a good starting point. And, much of the longitudinal resilience lit isn't from specific trauma or war, more centered around things like low SES, parents with SMI, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In my mind, both are true. Adverse experiences increases likelihood of pathological responses in some people and some people are more resilient than others for a variety of reasons some of which are because they had less adverse experiences because of some protective factors. Also, there is some research that points to the phenomenon of some reporting trauma experiences as leading to transformational or growth experiences. I like to look at risk factors vs. protective factors and individual characteristics and experiences. Also, my patients seem to be like Lake Wobegon, they are always the exception. 🤪

Reactions: 1 user

I wasn't sure if this should be its own thread, but I felt like there were some similarities in the themes presented here.