IM first then Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuinnB

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a derm resident that pursuing IM before a derm residency would be a bad idea. I was toying with the idea of completing the IM residency (2 more yrs beyond prelim intern year in IM is okay with me) and then applying to a derm residency program. I just feel like doing it and I know that it probably won't help me that much in derm and that i'll be "losing out on 2 years of salary" but those issues aside, would this affect my application? I was told that b/c of how resident salaries are funded, this may affect my chances.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read that as well. Something about government funding only extends to one residency. If you decide to apply to a derm residency after IM, the hospital will be responsible for picking up your salary.

With derm residencies already difficult enough to get into, I doubt many hospitals are eager to accept you and pay for you.

If I were you, I'd determine which field interests me more and go with that!

I was told by a derm resident that pursuing IM before a derm residency would be a bad idea. I was toying with the idea of completing the IM residency (2 more yrs beyond prelim intern year in IM is okay with me) and then applying to a derm residency program. I just feel like doing it and I know that it probably won't help me that much in derm and that i'll be "losing out on 2 years of salary" but those issues aside, would this affect my application? I was told that b/c of how resident salaries are funded, this may affect my chances.

Thanks.

You and CDQL are correct. There are some residency funding issues that will greatly impair your Derm application if you apply after graduating an IM residency. It's too complicated to explain. But it's true.

If you are interested in both Internal Medicine (IM) and Dermatology, you may want to consider the combined IM and Dermatology residency programs. The combined programs are 5 years total. There are currently 4 programs:
1) University of Pennsylvania
2) SUNY at Stony Brook
3) University of Wisconsin
4) Washington Hospital Center (Washington DC)

LSU-New Orleans was previously on the combined program list, but I do not see them on the ACGME list anymore (possibly related to Hurricane Katrina???).

Another option is to do a Dermatology residency first and then an IM residency. It's much easier to go from Derm --> IM than IM --> Derm. Just remember to do a preliminary IM internship before starting Derm residency. If you choose this route, it will take 6 years to complete.

I appreciate the responses.