I'm finding it hard to acquire clinical experiences. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mednight

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start of by saying that I am taking my prereqs at community college. So far I've taken: Sociology, Psychology, College Algebra, Speech, 2 English courses, and Philosophy. This summer I'll be taking Criminal Justice(diversity requirement), Information Systems, and a health class, and Precalculus. After this summer I'll be transferring, but I don't want to think about that until I start my summer classes.

I am currently experiencing difficulty in finding clinical experience. I try to get straight to the point in my cover letters. I don't sugar coat a thing. I basically say "I'm a premedical student try to gain patient exposure." I proceed to explain what clinical exposure is and blah blah. Some of the jobs I apply to says you need to be CPR certified and I always entail that information when applying to any job that deals with patients even if it's not required.

Before anyone says "just volunteer", I want to add that I've volunteered before(non-clinical), I want to volunteer again, but I have no income and you need money to transport back and forth to your destination. So that being said, I need a job before I can volunteer anywhere or shadow a physician. I've already been accepted to a shadowing program but the hospital is a bit of a far stretch away from home. It's like I have everything in order, but my circumstances prevents me from going out and getting it!

Basically my question is how do I make myself look like a good candidate for a position(clinical) without sounding desperate? Which I am. Should I just get a regular job(non-clinical) then volunteer and shadow? Or am I on the right track? Keep applying for clinical positions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
CNA, Phlebotomy, Home Health, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Follow the @Goro Guidelines: "Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics."

You can apply for a clinical job at any of these areas. Consider scribing and EMT. You also don't need to have a clinical job and can just work at any job to meet financial needs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into becoming a scribe? The pay isn't great, but it's a good job to get clinical experience.

Other than that, I would just get a non-clinical job and volunteer at a hospital (and shadow, etc) on the side. Either now or once you transfer, you could look into on-campus jobs, since that would cut out time wasted commuting. That's what I did!

1. You can brute force this, get a CNA, Phelobotmy, Rad tech, Med Tech,EMT, Scribe and then apply to some jobs related to those.
2. Go to job fairs, my hospital has plenty.
3. Lower your requirements, apply to jobs in healthcare even if they are tangentially related, evs, food service, front desk, etc. You can parlay this experience into other jobs when they open up at your facility.
4. Your letters may come off as too aggressive and off putting. I wouldnt want to hire someone who was lecturing at me and demanding a clinical exposure position.
5. Get a non healthcare job and volunteer.

Try looking for DSP jobs in your area. You don't need a certification (they will train you). Its working with people with mental disabilities (underserved populations), but it also counts as direct care experience. Very rewarding and it is great experience to put on a resume/talk about in interviews.

Okay does this sound demanding? "I feel that JHH is the type of institution in which I would excel in and make a name for myself. I'm convinced that my motivation and dedication for my future will make me the perfect fit for this position." Looking back at it, I really don't sound demanding, just a little desperate tbh.
4. Your letters may come off as too aggressive and off putting. I wouldnt want to hire someone who was lecturing at me and demanding a clinical exposure position.

I've applied for EVS, clinical aide(I have to take a pre-employment test, so basically I'm being considered), unit associate, patient transporter, and rehab aide. I am CPR certified with is an asset for these types of work because I'll be having direct patient contact. I'm still stuck on my cover letter. I want to come off as a motivated candidate willing to do the job well. I also add that the institution would benefit me and I would benefit them.

Is there another name for DSP? Not sure what that means.
Try looking for DSP jobs in your area. You don't need a certification (they will train you). Its working with people with mental disabilities (underserved populations), but it also counts as direct care experience. Very rewarding and it is great experience to put on a resume/talk about in interviews.

It's weird because I've applied to any and every clinical job I could find.

I tried scribing two years ago and it didn't work out because my WPM on the typing test was lower than required. I applied for Scribe American two years ago as well and got offered an interview at a hospital far away so I didn't move on with the process. I'll apply for both Elite Medical Scribes and Scribe America again this year. Do you know anything I can add to make me a good candidate for them?

Also I've been trying my best to get a job in the hospital right next to my school! Literally a 2-3 minutes walk away. I was considered for 2 clinical jobs there but someone else filled the position internally. I just applied today for another position as a clinical aide. I think I had a well written cover letter, so I'm confident about this one(hopefully no one fills the position "internally")

Unfortunately, I won't be able to shadow or volunteer until I have income because it is very hard for me to travel back and forth with no money.

Have you looked into becoming a scribe? The pay isn't great, but it's a good job to get clinical experience.

Other than that, I would just get a non-clinical job and volunteer at a hospital (and shadow, etc) on the side. Either now or once you transfer, you could look into on-campus jobs, since that would cut out time wasted commuting. That's what I did!

Honestly, I'm big on volunteering non clinically rather than volunteering clinically. I'd rather get paid for clinical experience, its just my preference. I've volunteered as a tutor at a school in a low income area. Next volunteer mission is in a kitchen(food prep for the homeless and people with chronic illness).

I don't know how people are EMT and go to school at the same time. I don't plan on taking a gap year until I graduate college. So me going to school for EMT is a bit excessive while I'm already in school trying to get my bachelors. That would just be another setback. Are there free training programs? If so, how long would it take?
Follow the @Goro Guidelines: "Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics."

You can apply for a clinical job at any of these areas. Consider scribing and EMT. You also don't need to have a clinical job and can just work at any job to meet financial needs.

These are absolute setbacks. I would obviously have to take a semester off to obtain these certifications(never doing that again, I'm already behind). Sorry, I won't be becoming a CNA unless the classes are free and they pay you to come.
CNA, Phlebotomy, Home Health, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive never seen a hospice care facility NOT have volunteer positions open, might be worth looking into it. Free clinics are often tight on staff as well. Look for less traditional routes than hospital volunteering which tends to be saturated quickly (and tends to be less valuable of an experience, imo).

Okay does this sound demanding? "I feel that JHH is the type of institution in which I would excel in and make a name for myself. I'm convinced that my motivation and dedication for my future will make me the perfect fit for this position." Looking back at it, I really don't sound demanding, just a little desperate tbh.
What are you even talking about here. You need to go to your career center or go get some templates online for simple short cover letters that dont sound absurd.

I've applied for EVS, clinical aide(I have to take a pre-employment test, so basically I'm being considered), unit associate, patient transporter, and rehab aide. I am CPR certified with is an asset for these types of work because I'll be having direct patient contact. I'm still stuck on my cover letter. I want to come off as a motivated candidate willing to do the job well. I also add that the institution would benefit me and I would benefit them.
Here are two reasons why no one cares you have a CPR -cert. for these jobs.
1. The employer can get you to get the cert at the hospital over a short time.
2. The hospital has a code blue button where the staff with actually pertinent training will arrive.

These are absolute setbacks. I would obviously have to take a semester off to obtain these certifications(never doing that again, I'm already behind). Sorry, I won't be becoming a CNA unless the classes are free and they pay you to come.
You are asking for help finding clinical exposure as a job. When someone is giving you advice regarding it you are turning around and saying , no that wont work. Try to be flexible, life doesn't always work the way we plan or the way we envision, and last I checked you are the person asking for something from these employers not the other way around.

Reactions: 8 users

Lol at "setbacks" when defining medical providers while you're trying to find activities to justify your interest in becoming a medical provider to a committee of potential...wait for it, this is good: Medical providers.

Edit: But seriously, join a free health clinic in your city or take a 4 week American Red Cross cna certification. You're not above anything lol.

Honestly, I'm big on volunteering non clinically rather than volunteering clinically. I'd rather get paid for clinical experience,
Start from volunteer my man, volunteer. Being in a hospital(or other healthcare facility) is all about helping someone!

Didn't realize you went to school year round. My bad. Just lol.

Beggars can't be choosers opie. Also just lol at clinical volunteering. Seriously I would not call 99% of what I see volunteers doing as clinical "experience." Wheeling a pt out in a wheelchair? Pfft. The only way you smell them (@LizzyM definition) is if they fart on the way out

Reactions: 5 users
Setback? What in the world are you talking about? How is earning these certificates a set back? There are online(didactic)/hybrid courses for weekends and summer courses. I'm in shock!

Your replies seem very box-checky. Particularly this:

I've volunteered as a tutor at a school in a low income area. Next volunteer mission is in a kitchen(food prep for the homeless and people with chronic illness).

Take what you can get, and do a good job at it. No one is going to just hand you a great position with no indication that you would be good at it. If you need to work, work in anything (food, retail, on campus, etc.) and get these experiences as a volunteer.

This isn't about you. It's about proving you care about other people and the community. Nothing in what you've said would give any indication that you're actually invested in others.

This isn't about you. It's about proving you care about other people and the community. Nothing in what you've said would give any indication that you're actually invested in others.
Honestly, I agreed. Everything is consuming my real purpose. I'm more focusing on getting things done than gaining meaningful experiences and possibly life long relationships.

I'm taking classes every summer until I graduate so I can be up to speed. My grad year is 2018, but guess what I'll be graduating in 2020 or 2021. I planned on getting into med school those years, not just graduating college. So yes it is a setback. Know that everyone has different life circumstances before you becomed so "shocked" by what I'm saying.
Setback? What in the world are you talking about? How is earning these certificates a set back? There are online(didactic)/hybrid courses for weekends and summer courses. I'm in shock!

Hun, the CNA classes here are about $1500 and lasts for a duration of about 13 weeks and I mean about 13 weeks for 5 days a week. ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm in school pursuing a bachelors degree, I do not have time for that. Way too consuming(A SETBACK)
Lol at "setbacks" when defining medical providers while you're trying to find activities to justify your interest in becoming a medical provider to a committee of potential...wait for it, this is good: Medical providers.

Edit: But seriously, join a free health clinic in your city or take a 4 week American Red Cross cna certification. You're not above anything lol.

Hun, the CNA classes here are about $1500 and lasts for a duration of about 13 weeks and I mean about 13 weeks for 5 days a week. ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm in school pursuing a bachelors degree, I do not have time for that. Way too consuming(A SETBACK)

LOL.
Do you think not getting clinical experience would be a set forward?

Things you dont want to do
1. Volunteer for clinical Experience.
2. Go to school for clinical experience.

Reactions: 3 users
There are jobs out that does not require certifications that will get you your clinical experience. If it's not free or incredibly cheap then I am not doing it.
LOL.

Let me just say this: everyone has different circumstances. I'm not in a good financial situation. I have no income and I'm a student. I can't afford a CNA class or EMT training because it's expensive. My grad year is 2018 but I won't be graduating in 2018 because of life circumstances(personal setbacks). I know that I have to volunteer and shadowing while gaining meaningful experience from it. To sum up the advice given, I will get any job and work my way from the bottom. Once I get the job, I'll be on my way to volunteer and shadow. I completed my shadowing program application and got accepted and emailed my volunteer coordinator telling her that I won't be able to shadow until April. Me finding a job is not a problem, it just finding clinical jobs. So I should be up and on my way by April. Thanks guys.

Let me just say this: everyone has different circumstances. I'm not in a good financial situation. I have no income and I'm a student. I can't afford a CNA class or EMT training because it's expensive. My grad year is 2018 but I won't be graduating in 2018 because of life circumstances(personal setbacks). I know that I have to volunteer and shadowing while gaining meaningful experience from it. To sum up the advice given, I will get any job and work my way from the bottom. Once I get the job, I'll be on my way to volunteer and shadow. I completed my shadowing program application and got accepted and emailed my volunteer coordinator telling her that I won't be able to shadow until April. Me finding a job is not a problem, it just finding clinical jobs. So I should be up and on my way by April. Thanks guys.
If you are having such difficulty , whynot go get a job somewhere else that is non -clinical and volunteer. Like other posters have accepted.

I've seen plenty of hospice volunteer and paid opportunities in my area, but I don't think I'm prepared for that right now.

Ive never seen a hospice care facility NOT have volunteer positions open, might be worth looking into it. Free clinics are often tight on staff as well. Look for less traditional routes than hospital volunteering which tends to be saturated quickly (and tends to be less valuable of an experience, imo).

Making money seems to be your main motivation and I don't blame you. That comes before clinical experience. Seems like maybe you're wasting time applying to jobs you aren't qualified for. Find an entry level job that pays relatively well for your area. Start a volunteer gig that offers clinical experience afterward.

Reactions: 1 user
Start a volunteer gig that offers clinical experience afterward.

Some volunteer ambulance corps allow you to ride along as an uncertified volunteer for 6 months, after which they'll give you a voucher to pay for the EMT class. You'd just have to pay for the class books and materials, OP. Taking an EMT class during the semester won't be easy, but it's doable. My class was about 4 months long and met two nights a week and all day Saturday. There are even some hybrid courses where you are taught practical skills in a classroom setting, but all the main didactic components are online. After you finish the class, you can pursue a paid EMT job.

What is the purpose of this thread? You don't want to put in the time or effort to get what you need for a really good clinical experience, and you're not willing to volunteer. You have an excuse for every piece of advice here. Why did you even start this thread?

Please read through this thread thoroughly. I stated why I cannot volunteer right now. Stop skimming and reading what you want to read and read everything before commenting. The purpose of this thread is to see if I'm on the right track hun. Most of the advice given is understandable, but like I said A THOUSAND AND ONE TIMES, I have life circumstances that prevents me from doing everything at once.
What is the purpose of this thread? You don't want to put in the time or effort to get what you need for a really good clinical experience, and you're not willing to volunteer. You have an excuse for every piece of advice here. Why did you even start this thread?

Please read through this thread thoroughly. I stated why I cannot volunteer right now. Stop skimming and reading what you want to read and read everything before commenting. The purpose of this thread is to see if I'm on the right track hun. Most of the advice given is understandable, but like I said A THOUSAND AND ONE TIMES, I have life circumstances that prevents me from doing everything at once.

All I see are excuses. It's time to put your grownup pants on, "hun."

Reactions: 5 users
I got a job as a technician at an optometry office. It's easy and fun, and no certification required (at least in my state).

Well, I'll tell you what I do.
I've volunteered about 300 hours at local hospitals.
I've been working full time as an Emergency Room Technician (and I'm at a CC too btw, full time. Finishing organic chem and my bio rn :p ) because im EMT certified. I also draw blood in the ER because I'm phlebotomy certified. I have my ACLS and PALS too.
I've done volunteering in poor communities here and there, and I've done some international shadowing, maybe 70ish hours worth.

Best thing I'm doing is working ER. I see hundreds of patients per day. I've done CPR on newborns ( and no, they didn't make it), and been there bedside with a family at the loss of a husband/father/brother after doing CPR for an hour on him and cleaning up the mess that came out of it so he was presentable to them. I do wound cleaning and splinting. I can interpret ECG's almost as well as the physicians can (better than all the nurses), yes I clean poopy butts too, and best of all I can ask the doctors questions and work with them on procedures and find out what and why we're doing it. Cool part about EMT is you get all this background experience, and assessment experience as well. I feel privileged to be able to do all this stuff and being 19 years old. It's really eye opening what goes on, and you learn so much about healthcare as well what goes on in the ER and after the ER. And I get paid almost 20 an hour.

Ways to get experience outside of volunteering:
Phlebotomy, EMT (Inter-facility Transfers, 911, ER Technician), CNA, Pharmacy Tech, and that's about it that I can think of.

I am hearing a lot of excuses, @Mednight

WPM too few for a scribe position? Why not get Mavis Beacon or some other typing software to take you through drills to increase your typing speed?

Your letters are saying "I am pre-med, I want to make a name for myself, I want clinical experience." It is all about "I". It is a cliche but true, "there is no 'I' in team" and clinical settings are all about team work. They are also about caring for others and I see nothing in your short, "not sugar coated" letters that suggests that you have any interest in the needs of others. They are all a means to your end.

You need an attitude adjustment. Get a job. Maybe Starbucks is hiring. Food service, retail sales, anything. You don't need a "clinical" job and jobs that put you in touch with the public and dealing with people who are upset, unsatisfied, disgruntled, or taking out whatever is going wrong in life on the nearest sales clerk is good experience for a career in health care.

Reactions: 9 users
It was two years ago for crying out loud. I was unprepared, young, and naive. I'll retry soon, but like everyone said "find something you qualify for" whatever that's supposed mean. All the clinical jobs I've applied for required at least 3-6 months steady work history or a CPR certification for goodness sake. I qualify for these jobs alright, maybe I'm lacking in my interviews or cover letters or maybe someone was a better fit or maybe someone got hired internally. I will definitely not put "I" so much so thank you for the advice. I totally understand.

I am hearing a lot of excuses, @Mednight

WPM too few for a scribe position? Why not get Mavis Beacon or some other typing software to take you through drills to increase your typing speed?

Your letters are saying "I am pre-med, I want to make a name for myself, I want clinical experience." It is all about "I". It is a cliche but true, "there is no 'I' in team" and clinical settings are all about team work. They are also about caring for others and I see nothing in your short, "not sugar coated" letters that suggests that you have any interest in the needs of others. They are all a means to your end.

You need an attitude adjustment. Get a job. Maybe Starbucks is hiring. Food service, retail sales, anything. You don't need a "clinical" job and jobs that put you in touch with the public and dealing with people who are upset, unsatisfied, disgruntled, or taking out whatever is going wrong in life on the nearest sales clerk is good experience for a career in health care.

Oh goodness, you have so many certifications. How much they all cost?????????? I have a pre-employment test coming up to become a clinical aide in the ER, I'm excited as h.e. double hockey stick. Any input on what I should be doing to get on the right path ? And 19 years old?! Lucky you.
Well, I'll tell you what I do.
I've volunteered about 300 hours at local hospitals.
I've been working full time as an Emergency Room Technician (and I'm at a CC too btw, full time. Finishing organic chem and my bio rn :p ) because im EMT certified. I also draw blood in the ER because I'm phlebotomy certified. I have my ACLS and PALS too.
I've done volunteering in poor communities here and there, and I've done some international shadowing, maybe 70ish hours worth.

Best thing I'm doing is working ER. I see hundreds of patients per day. I've done CPR on newborns ( and no, they didn't make it), and been there bedside with a family at the loss of a husband/father/brother after doing CPR for an hour on him and cleaning up the mess that came out of it so he was presentable to them. I do wound cleaning and splinting. I can interpret ECG's almost as well as the physicians can (better than all the nurses), yes I clean poopy butts too, and best of all I can ask the doctors questions and work with them on procedures and find out what and why we're doing it. Cool part about EMT is you get all this background experience, and assessment experience as well. I feel privileged to be able to do all this stuff and being 19 years old. It's really eye opening what goes on, and you learn so much about healthcare as well what goes on in the ER and after the ER. And I get paid almost 20 an hour.

Ways to get experience outside of volunteering:
Phlebotomy, EMT (Inter-facility Transfers, 911, ER Technician), CNA, Pharmacy Tech, and that's about it that I can think of.

LOL.

Don't lie. CNA certifications are the same. Mine was two weeks long, 5x a week,, 550$. Don't bullsh*t or make excuses. If you really cared about getting clinical experience you would have been able to by now and you wouldn't have bucked literally every suggestion that ARE good experiences.

See, I was thinking about do something of that nature. You know...something different than just working in a hospital or clinic. How did you become a optometry tech? I'm pretty sure in my state you need to be certified. Ugh!
I got a job as a technician at an optometry office. It's easy and fun, and no certification required (at least in my state).

Umm CNA certifications here are about $1500 and that's not including money for the books, transportation, tests, and uniforms. Think again hun. And they are about 13 weeks in duration. Oh and I do care about getting clinical experience, that's why I'll be testing next week for a clinical aide position. Omg wish me luck. :)
Don't lie. CNA certifications are the same. Mine was two weeks long, 5x a week,, 550$. Don't bullsh*t or make excuses. If you really cared about getting clinical experience you would have been able to by now and you wouldn't have bucked literally every suggestion that ARE good experiences.

Woah, Woah. I was already accepted, but you are right I should take some of these suggestions to get more clinical experience.

Oh wow, I would like personally congratulate you on getting into medical school. Being that were probably from different states, I think you should take into consideration that things may be more expensive or more challenging to obtain certifications by state. That's like me saying the housing is way better and cheaper here, so don't lie me and say that it more expensive and crappier to live there. Point is, everything varies by location.
Woah, Woah. I was already accepted, but you are right I should take some of these suggestions to get more clinical experience.

Huh.

Umm CNA certifications here are about $1500 and that's not including money for the books, transportation, tests, and uniforms. Think again hun. And they are about 13 weeks in duration. Oh and I do care about getting clinical experience, that's why I'll be testing next week for a clinical aide position. Omg wish me luck. :)
Where are you from? State is all I need.