Im a white hispanic, am I going to have a hard time claiming URM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HyperSpace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so im really white looking, and to make things worse my name doesnt sound hispanic at all. But I was born in Mexico City and I am fleunt in spanish. My mother is a resident and my father was a citizen. Im thinking that adcoms are gonna be like WTF this guy ain't mexican when they see me. So what do you all think, should I put down on my apps that I am an URM? Also what does being counted as URM entail in the apps process?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude....you are what you are. You should just be honest in this process. If you are mexican put down mexican, no adcom is going to judge you based on the color of your skin, that would be prejudice. I too am a "white" hispanic. This is why they have two categories, race and ethnicity. Choose white for race, and mexican american for ethnicity.

Last edited:
Ok so im really white looking, and to make things worse my name doesnt sound hispanic at all. But I was born in Mexico City and I am fleunt in spanish. My mother is a resident and my father was a citizen. Im thinking that adcoms are gonna be like WTF this guy ain't mexican when they see me. So what do you all think, should I put down on my apps that I am an URM? Also what does being counted as URM entail in the apps process?

No problem man. Before the interviews make sure to get a good tan and grow a cool moustache. Oh, and make sure to wear very shiny zoot suit shoes.

...kidding. Like the previous poster said, you are what you are. The race/ethnicity question on the AMCAS application is meant to address any confusion. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are Latino, you are Latino. You can claim anything that you want. Ethnicity on application forms is a self designation. It's not that big of a deal.

You'll be fine. Don't they have "hispanic" and "non-hispanic" options for each race on apps anyway?

i'm also a white mexican and i had no problems with my application. race and ethnicity are totally different. though i did go to an interview where i was grilled in spanish after the guy took a look at my last name and my skin tone. little did he know that i didn't learn english until i was 6.

in the end i personally think the URM thing is more about experiences that checking a box. when the point of URM recruitment is to have doctors to serve URM communities, it's hard to make a case for being hispanic if you don't know anything about the community, culture or don't speak spanish, no matter your color.

suerte!

Plus I was under the impression that once you check that you are hispanic then the URM box is automatically checked.

Hey thats not fair what their doing but you still are a minority you're a white hispanic so put it down on your form.

Actually legally you claim ethnic identity of anything you want (aside from a declaration of Native American heritage which has special hoops to jump through because of the $$ involved).

So go for it.

Ah found the US legal facts:
white 79.96%, black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaska native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more races 1.61% (July 2007 estimate)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.);