I'm a MLS and Pre-Med major but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holy_cannoli17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am majoring in Med Lab Sciences, as well as Pre-Med. However, I am really really concerned about meeting my pre-med reqs while on this pathway. It seems really difficult to fit it since the reqs are barely part of my degree pathway. But, I am certain that I want to do both things. I just worry about the time I have to do so. I am a freshman. Next semester, I would be finishing the social science req and starting the Calc req. I already finished my college writing req. I still need physics with lab, biology with lab, Organic and General Chemistry with Lab, Stats, and biochemistry (I am not sure if human biochemistry can count). If taking an extra year after I graduate to finish reqs is a fair option, I’d be alright with that. I really want to graduate on time and considered summer classes, which is now crossed off.

What should I do? Can I apply to med school after I finished my reqs, even if it's not by the end of junior year? Or is it simply better to do as much reqs as I can the fours years and finish the rest after I graduate? MLS is going to be a job with high demands, so I at least will have a job after graduation. Is this a good idea? I heard it wasn't uncommon to do so.

Thank you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course you can apply after your junior year.

Why do you have to do both? You’re making it harder than it has to be if Medicine is what you want. Summer class prerequisites are generally not recommended since the rigor is sometimes questioned. One is okay, but not most/all.

So, I am majoring in Med Lab Sciences, as well as Pre-Med. However, I am really really concerned about meeting my pre-med reqs while on this pathway. It seems really difficult to fit it. But, I am certain that I want to do both things. I just worry about the time I have to do so. I really want to graduate on time and considered summer classes, which is now crossed off. What should I do? Can I apply to med school after I finished my reqs, even if it's not by the end of junior year?

Thank you all :)
Many schools will want you to have at least 90 credits. You'll need to research this to find out which ones do and don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
@holy_cannoli17 a bit more info would be helpful.

What year are you know and which prereqs haven't you taken?

Does your school have a premed pathway that you're also trying to do or are you just trying to fit in the prereqs for med schools? There should be a lot of overlap between the two.

It probably depends on the setup your school uses, but some people in my class finished with the MLS degree and also either bio or psych majors and also covered the med school prereqs in 4 years. A couple took an extra year. I got into it after having already graduated undergrad.

Honestly, for this pathway I tend to favor a gap year with some work experience because you learn a ton, really. But that's just me. You'll have a lot to worry about passing boards without trying to cram the MCAT in as well. On the other hand, if you're working during your application cycle then you have to worry about fun stuff like having enough vacation time banked to request time off for interviews.

@holy_cannoli17 a bit more info would be helpful.

What year are you know and which prereqs haven't you taken?

Does your school have a premed pathway that you're also trying to do or are you just trying to fit in the prereqs for med schools? There should be a lot of overlap between the two.

It probably depends on the setup your school uses, but some people in my class finished with the MLS degree and also either bio or psych majors and also covered the med school prereqs in 4 years. A couple took an extra year. I got into it after having already graduated undergrad.

Honestly, for this pathway I tend to favor a gap year with some work experience because you learn a ton, really. But that's just me. You'll have a lot to worry about passing boards without trying to cram the MCAT in as well. On the other hand, if you're working during your application cycle then you have to worry about fun stuff like having enough vacation time banked to request time off for interviews.
Yes I apologize. I am a freshman in college. Next semester, I would be finishing the social science req and starting the Calc req. I already finished my college writing req. I still need physics with lab, biology with lab, Organic and General Chemistry with Lab, Stats, and biochemistry (I am not sure if human biochemistry can count). If taking an extra year after I graduate to finish reqs is a fair option, I’d be alright with that.

Is MLS a cohort major at your university? You may have to take pre-med prereqs during summers or something. N=1, but I was able to finish all prereqs except physcis and biochem during my fresh-soph years. I took a gap year and finished these while working as a scribe, and it all worked out. I was in an MLS program where actual MLS classes don't start until Junior year and are given at "this time on this day in this semester, no questions asked," so idk if this is different from your or not.

Do you want to have a job after graduation or do you want to have a medical school acceptance after graduation? Because the latter is certainly likely providing you don't unnecessarily make things harder for yourself.

there's nothing wrong with wanting job security in case life happens and things don't quite work out as planned. you might get hurt, sick, whatver and need to delay a year etc. a very well paying job no less

i also don't thinking taking some in the summer should be a big deal as long as you take them at your school (ie don't take ochem at the community college)

there's nothing wrong with wanting job security in case life happens and things don't quite work out as planned. you might get hurt, sick, whatver and need to delay a year etc. a very well paying job no less

It's not a terrible plan by any means, I'm just a bit gun-shy to the whole thing after watching gung-ho mentees irreversibly crater their GPAs tacking a psych degree or whatever onto their existing courseload.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a terrible plan by any means, I'm just a bit gun-shy to the whole thing after watching gung-ho mentees irreversibly crater their GPAs tacking a psych degree or whatever onto their existing courseload.

Yeah and I'm not sure that a psych degree gives the best job prospects as a backup. I get what you're saying though. It definitely comes down to the individual and what they can handle.