Illinois School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toomuch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, since everyone kept talking about top 20 schools listed in US News, I decided to buy their online edition for ten bucks. It lasts til April and I thought I could get some useful information from it.

I looked up 4 Illinois schools that I have applied to and discovered that their ranking was not available because they did not send back the questionaire that US News had sent them. So any stats that I thought I could get were not there either.

To my surprise, this meant that these schools were never even considered in the rankings. They show the top 50 schools for research and primary care. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum felt that these four Illinois schools listed below deserved any attention, even if it is just for their primary care.

Loyola Stritch School of Medicine (I though at the least primary care in the top 50)
University of Illinois-Chicago (I know this school is so spread out, I think they would have to consider each campus separately)
Rush Medical College (what I said for Loyola)
Finch Chicago Medical School (this school probably doesn't merit any attention)

tm

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for this bit of info, toomuch. I was always wondering why I never saw ANY of these schools in the top 50 for primary care or research, since I have a good deal of respect for these schools.

It depends on where you want to do your residency. Obviously all of these schools will be recognized and will have many of their students doing residencies in the Chicagoland area, but national recognition may be a bit more limited. University of Illinois certainly isn't primary care oriented... in addition, being a standard state school, it is recognized nationally for the simple fact that it is a state school.

Bump

Any opinions?