Illinois Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is still 5 years down the road for me, but I was wondering a few things. I saw there is a long list of residencies in IL. Are there any programs that any of you have heard good things about? (I know in 5 years things change.) I am from IL, I am going to Scholl next year, and I was wondering how 'easy' it is to get a residency in a particular state. This may seem silly to some of you, but I can't see asking a husband to leave his job and I really don't want to live in separate states for 3 years during residency. So any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is still 5 years down the road for me, but I was wondering a few things. I saw there is a long list of residencies in IL. Are there any programs that any of you have heard good things about? (I know in 5 years things change.) I am from IL, I am going to Scholl next year, and I was wondering how 'easy' it is to get a residency in a particular state. This may seem silly to some of you, but I can't see asking a husband to leave his job and I really don't want to live in separate states for 3 years during residency. So any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

some residency programs are extremely competitive - i.e. west penn, others are less competitive - so it depends. Illinois has more than a few strong programs from what i understand - i.e. loyola. However, as long as you do well in school, clinicial externships, boards, and of course impress the directors with your personality - because believe it or not, personality is a big deal considering that they want to see if you can work with them for 2-3 years. So, if you have those traits, I can't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to land a solid residency in illinoios