if you want to be a general dentist, do grades in dental school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ysk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know that if you want to specialize, you should try to have good grades throughout dental school and good board scores and etc... But what if you just want to become a general dentist? Do you pretty much just need to graduate and get the degree? Do grades and board scores really matter as long as you pass?

Members don't see this ad.

Just Pass
ysk said:
Hello all,

I know that if you want to specialize, you should try to have good grades throughout dental school and good board scores and etc... But what if you just want to become a general dentist? Do you pretty much just need to graduate and get the degree? Do grades and board scores really matter as long as you pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTacoElf said:
they probably matter a little in terms of getting an assocaiteship.

since most ppl dont specialize (<-guessing), shouldn't dntl schl be a not so bad experience, but everyone (<- well not everyone) says it's a nightmare.....or is even "just passing" really hard

you will be a doctor! of cos it wont be easy meaning there are a lot of materials. it is easier because not as competitive, since not everyone wants to specialize.

in relative term, i know being a dentist is awesome, so it kinda reflects back the life as a dental student is more like a nightmare.

dWiz said:
since most ppl dont specialize (<-guessing), shouldn't dntl schl be a not so bad experience, but everyone (<- well not everyone) says it's a nightmare.....or is even "just passing" really hard

Since no one has really answered the question. I'm going to say No. It doesn't matter what grades you get. Just as long as you get certified to practice, you shouldn't even have to tell your grades to anyone.

As far as your patients know, you were top in your class!

Let me also add that passing is hard to do at times

dWiz said:

lots and lots of material to KNOW (meds, diseases, treatment plans, how to do each procedure correctly, etc etc)... you can't be ignorant when you're working on patients.... and it's exhausting cause after a long day, you still have lab work and studying to do.

StarGirl said:
lots and lots of material to KNOW (meds, diseases, treatment plans, how to do each procedure correctly, etc etc)... you can't be ignorant when you're working on patients.... and it's exhausting cause after a long day, you still have lab work and studying to do.

sounds fun :D

I'll also add, that in MY experience, simply passing a course is very easy. And, all in all, dental school is very easy. Since people don't like hearing that, or have had opposite experiences, I'll state once again that this is MY experience.

Seeing patients and working on them is tiresome and drains me mentally, but it isn't difficult (at least not yet).

Your mileage will vary, but this is just to let you know that there are good and relatively easy dental school experiences out there.

DrTacoElf said:
they probably matter a little in terms of getting an assocaiteship.

NONE of the job interviews I've been on have cared at all about my GPA, rank, "latin honors," etc. It's all listed on my CV, but I have yet to see where it is relevant in hiring except that it makes me feel better that I earned those stats. At one interview, I was complemented about doing well in dental school, but apparently it didn't matter b/c I didn't get that job. You don't have to list your GPA, rank, etc. on your CV, no one will care.

As long as you have a degree, license, malpractice insurance, and in some cases, a DEA number, you will be hired and you will have patients coming to you.

But make sure you pass, b/c some dental schools have little mercy for those who fail.

ItsGavinC said:
I'll also add, that in MY experience, simply passing a course is very easy. .

I agreee. Passing a course is very easy. Mastering of all the materials is required 101% of your effort and hard work. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's easy to pass in dental school, but I wouldn't recommend it. That's basically what I did and having just graduated, I feel pretty incompetent...Not clinically, but academically. I don't know anything about drugs or diabetes or any other disease for that matter. I don't even know what medicine to take when I get a headache. Hopefully no one's going to die under my care. My point is, you can just "get by" but try to do your best. You never know if you're going to want to specialize or not.

Geezer99 said:
It's easy to pass in dental school, but I wouldn't recommend it. That's basically what I did and having just graduated, I feel pretty incompetent...Not clinically, but academically. I don't know anything about drugs or diabetes or any other disease for that matter. I don't even know what medicine to take when I get a headache. Hopefully no one's going to die under my care. My point is, you can just "get by" but try to do your best. You never know if you're going to want to specialize or not.
I am glad you admitted this. It is a growing problem in the dental school arena. Students CAN just "pass" having little more than a pulse. However, when it comes time to figure out the answers to pt questions about their conditions (ie diabetes, carcinomas, etc) the "just passers" will have the most dumbfounded look on their faces. :eek: That is my concern with this whole "can I just pass" attitude, and I have expressed that in other threads as well.

Geezer99 said:
True dat!
Even if you just wanna be a GP or just wanna pass you should try to absorb as much materials as possible. If you don't do that then you'll have problems with board exams, clinic... Wait till you start clinic, your oral surgery profs, clinical instructors will ask you a bunch of questions out of the blue...why a certain thing is the way it is...what's your diagnosis...what to Rx...I guarantee ya that one of those days you'll have that dumb look on your face when you couldn't spit out the answer to your OS prof or do something really stupid that your clinical instructor would shake his head and take over. Then he'll tell other profs about you! One 4th yr in my class didn't know how to do post&core "should I put the core in first or the post?" As any 3rd, 4th yr what's “ferrule effect” and I bet you that not many of them can answer it. Ask them about anxiety/sedation, antibiotics, pain meds and oral path!

I don't understand that some students seem be very proud that they can "pull an all nighter and pass the exam" or "study only a few days and pass the boards" Everyone can pass but not everyone can understand or master the materials, techniques...

The point is learn as much as you can, do extra readings (library books) so that you'll have a strong academic background. If your manual dexterity sucks then you better spend a lot of time in the simlab, learning from instructors, friends; otherwise, you'll be paying for it with interest when you're in clinic.

dWiz said:

why do u have to overanalyze everything?? ugh.. with ur "<--guessing..." very annoying.

I think I owe it to my future patients to not "just pass". They're going to be paying me $1500 for a crown, and I feel as if I owe it to them to give them the best care I can. God forbid I dont pre-medicate a 60 year old lady who has a pathologic heart murmur because I was hell bent on "just passing".

Bickle said:
I think I owe it to my future patients to not "just pass". They're going to be paying me $1500 for a crown, and I feel as if I owe it to them to give them the best care I can. God forbid I dont pre-medicate a 60 year old lady who has a pathologic heart murmur because I was hell bent on "just passing".
$1500 for a crown? That's quite a fee you'll be charging. Will you be making crowns out of pure platinum instead of alloyed gold? ;)

aphistis said:
$1500 for a crown? That's quite a fee you'll be charging. Will you be making crowns out of pure platinum instead of alloyed gold? ;)

Whatever, whats the going rate for a crown these days?

Bickle said:
Whatever, whats the going rate for a crown these days?
I was mostly just teasing. I'm sure the rate varies from region to region, but my understanding is that around here they typically run maybe $700-$1000 depending on the office.

Bickle said:

Well said indeed. This shows that you actually give a dam about the patient and people in general. Take care and GOD bless.

aphistis said:

it's $1500 canadian for him...^_^

dentwannabe said:
why do u have to overanalyze everything?? ugh.. with ur "<--guessing..." very annoying.

I have a problem :(

lnn2 said:
True dat!
Even if you just wanna be a GP or just wanna pass you should try to absorb as much materials as possible. If you don't do that then you'll have problems with board exams, clinic... Wait till you start clinic, your oral surgery profs, clinical instructors will ask you a bunch of questions out of the blue...why a certain thing is the way it is...what's your diagnosis...what to Rx...I guarantee ya that one of those days you'll have that dumb look on your face when you couldn't spit out the answer to your OS prof or do something really stupid that your clinical instructor would shake his head and take over. Then he'll tell other profs about you! One 4th yr in my class didn't know how to do post&core "should I put the core in first or the post?" As any 3rd, 4th yr what's “ferrule effect” and I bet you that not many of them can answer it. Ask them about anxiety/sedation, antibiotics, pain meds and oral path!

I don't understand that some students seem be very proud that they can "pull an all nighter and pass the exam" or "study only a few days and pass the boards" Everyone can pass but not everyone can understand or master the materials, techniques...

The point is learn as much as you can, do extra readings (library books) so that you'll have a strong academic background. If your manual dexterity sucks then you better spend a lot of time in the simlab, learning from instructors, friends; otherwise, you'll be paying for it with interest when you're in clinic.

Yea.. I agree. You should try to learn as much as you can and get the most out of your education (just think of all that money you put into it!) but I guess I was asking cuz it'll be a lot less pressure if grades don't matter all that much. I mean, you should still try your best and learn a lot but it's a lot less nerve-wrecking if you know that your grades are not as determinate of your future. And that's what I seem to have gathered from everyone's responses, that your gpa and board scores don't matter all that much... It sure does take a lot of burden off your shoulders!

Grades and board scores don't matter at all if you don't do a postgrad program. I'd still suggest keeping your options open. A lot of people change their mind midway through about what they want to do.

You are paying a quarter of a million dollars (or more) for your dental school education, why not try to get as much out of it as possible?

hokiedds said:
You are paying a quarter of a million dollars (or more) for your dental school education, why not try to get as much out of it as possible?

I agree, but I also think that getting good grades shouldn't always be correlated to getting as much out of the education as possible. Ironically (or not), I think that some of the most important and most influential things I've learned thus far have been things that won't (and can't) be graded. They've been things that I've chosen to pursue with my instructors when nobody else was around, or items that I've shown interest in because I'm really concerned with learning the hows and whys of a procedure, not because I want a good grade.

Bickle said:

exactly!

ItsGavinC said:
I agree, but I also think that getting good grades shouldn't always be correlated to getting as much out of the education as possible. Ironically (or not), I think that some of the most important and most influential things I've learned thus far have been things that won't (and can't) be graded. They've been things that I've chosen to pursue with my instructors when nobody else was around, or items that I've shown interest in because I'm really concerned with learning the hows and whys of a procedure, not because I want a good grade.
Thats all well and good, but the two usually go hand in hand.

I agree with bickle, but I feel that it will matter to the patient how well you develop your hand skills during years 3 and 4 rather than how well you can recite the properties of amino acids. It's more about skills than grades.

USUaggie said:
I agree with bickle, but I feel that it will matter to the patient how well you develop your hand skills during years 3 and 4 rather than how well you can recite the properties of amino acids. It's more about skills than grades.
The patients don't care about hand skills any more than they do amino acid structures. If you're nice, and it doesn't hurt, and the crown doesn't fall off, they couldn't care less whether your margins are a uniform 0.3-0.4mm.

aphistis said:
The patients don't care about hand skills any more than they do amino acid structures. If you're nice, and it doesn't hurt, and the crown doesn't fall off, they couldn't care less whether your margins are a uniform 0.3-0.4mm.
Generally I agree, but they would care if you suck.

aphistis said:
:cool:

You are right. To be a good GP there is so much more than just board scores, class rank, grades, etc. This is even more true if you are talking about just appearing to be a good GP to a patient.

It is up to you how much of your potential you want to reach. Many dentists have slacked off a little in dental school and still do very well.

I have no aspirations to become anything more than a good GP, but I plan on doing my best anyway.

aphistis said:
And how are the going to determine whether you suck? Oh, right:
They're going to go home to see how you filled the class II preperation. They will check for flash and the contou of your fill. SO watch out

unlvdmd said:
Thats all well and good, but the two usually go hand in hand.

I whole-heartedly disagree. As I browse DentalTown, or speak with practicing clinicians, I amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is available, as well as the different methods of being a succesful dentist or succesfully completing a procedure.

School teaches the basics and grades the basics. I don't think those things are the most important or influential things I'll learn in my career. I'm betting I'll learn more in my first 3 months practicing than my entire dental school career.

aphistis said:

Agreed. The hand skills end of the business makes us quicker as clinicians.

ItsGavinC said:
I'm betting I'll learn more in my first 3 months practicing than my entire dental school career.
:eek: Good thing you're paying all that money then, right? No, jk. I see where you're coming from but I just approach school differently. I guess its all good either way if you are happy where you are in your career and don't provide malpractice to your patients.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this already, but what about if you decide to do a residency? What if you do poorly the first 1.5 years and then change your mind?

Do your best and you will be worry free later :)

I guess I need to re-word what I meant because I agree with everything aphititis said. Hear me out - Bickle said he felt that he owed it to his future patients to learn and work hard so he can give them the best care he possibly can, or something to that effect. What I'm saying is that if we want to be noble and better serve our future patients, we'd be better off perfecting the skills so that they get better treatment, whether they're aware of it or not. Getting an A in freshman anatomy and physiology won't matter to them as much as how long a crown will last. This is all speculation on my part, however, because I haven't really started school yet.

Can anyone give me one example of how getting an A in biocem, histo, etc (clinical grades being equal) gives one person an edge over the guy who gets a C? I'm talking a solid, concrete example here......

ItsGavinC said:
I'll also add, that in MY experience, simply passing a course is very easy. And, all in all, dental school is very easy. Since people don't like hearing that, or have had opposite experiences, I'll state once again that this is MY experience.

Seeing patients and working on them is tiresome and drains me mentally, but it isn't difficult (at least not yet).

Your mileage will vary, but this is just to let you know that there are good and relatively easy dental school experiences out there.

glad to hear you are such a marvelous student that dental school comes so easily for you. well bully for you....i guess you'll be specializing, ech... maybe ortho, no sweat. maybe you are a gifted student, but your people skills definitely need some work....no one likes to feel stupid.

dentalmom said:
glad to hear you are such a marvelous student that dental school comes so easily for you. well bully for you....i guess you'll be specializing, ech... maybe ortho, no sweat. maybe you are a gifted student, but your people skills definitely need some work....no one likes to feel stupid.

I really don't think he was trying to be obnoxious. Gavin was simply saying that everyone will have a different experience in dental school. For some, it will be easier than others. It's just how it is.

ItsGavinC said:
I agree, but I also think that getting good grades shouldn't always be correlated to getting as much out of the education as possible.

I'll back you upon this one, Gavin. There are so many classes at my school where knowing the material is insufficient to get a good grade. You have to know the old tests inside and out.

If you want to actually learn; well, that is up to you, because it won't necessarily help you do any better on the exams.

dentalmom said:

Please re-read what I wrote. I said YOUR mileage will vary, but my experience has been a good one. Nothing posted says anything about my academic prowess, or lack thereof. In fact it has little to do with that, it's the way our curriculum is designed that probably holds the key, as well as the school being new and being flexable to student concerns.

I couldn't match a spot in Ortho if my life depended on it. Heck, I couldn't even get an interview either.

you are all quite interesting...this is an interesting subject. THe answer is a BIG NO.

If you want to be a general dentist, technically u can just pass. IF u have a license, pass all ur boards, etc. you should be deemed competent. You don't need to know the text book inside out and understand pass tests, just know how to treat and why you are treating. THat is good enough.

For job, it does not matter either. My uncle hires many associates, he never asks them their grades. Trust me, a C student and an A student will be treated the same. With that said, associateship is a waste of time. So is GPR and AEGD. Just open ur own office from a loan or something and start working to make money.

Worst come to worst, go associate to establish and make some money to open ur own office. Associates get the short end of the stick, esp if the main practioner is greedy.

Rob2005 said:
Can anyone give me one example of how getting an A in biocem, histo, etc (clinical grades being equal) gives one person an edge over the guy who gets a C? I'm talking a solid, concrete example here......
I think I can. As far as classes like biochemistry are concerned, I may agree with you insofar as saying that some of the topics are pretty useless. However, we are considered to be doctors of the oral cavity. Classes like Pharmacology, Pathology, and Gross Anatomy all have a clinical basis to them. We will have to detect things such as cancers, prescribe different kinds of anti-microbial drugs, and so forth. Injections require the knowledge of gross anatomy, physiology, etc as you will see when you go to school. The list goes on and on. Without the foundation of these sciences, we will not be able to understand the breakthroughs that occuring in the research fields that will have an impact on all of our practices in the near future. That's my take on it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.