If you had to pick only one thing about EM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackBauERfan

CTU Field Agent
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
that you like, what would it be. I know we've had questions like this in interviews maybe, but just want to see the top reason why folks pick EM.

For me, its the variety of patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the interactions with the nurses and ancillary staff. I am almost 100% of the time joking around and having a great time with the nurses/staff because we all have the same cynical pseudo-erotic sense of humor (atleast where I'm doing residency). I sure am hoping its the same way up north.

Q

It's gotta be the chicks :)

The best part is that although I have to see in the ED Mrs. Smith who is a 40 year old white female with fibromyalgia, depression, bipolar, and methamphetamine abuse for her back pain x 4 years, I can turf her, and don't have to see her on a weekly basis like her PCP does.

Diversity of acute disease

No Pager, More Cowbell!

krust3 said:
No Pager, More Cowbell!
Yes definately more cowbell!!!!! And of course the chicks ;)

Being a part of the number one specialty on SDN!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. figuring out the diagnosis based on very limited information

2. emergent procedures

3. what generalveers said

(sorry thats 3 things but oh well)

cause the chicks dig it

southerndoc said:
Not as much as surgery though. Our surgery colleagues have a higher chick factor.

That may be true, but we have more time to f/u (if you know what I mean, wink wink, nudge nudge :D )

turtle said:
That may be true, but we have more time to f/u (if you know what I mean, wink wink, nudge nudge :D )

And someone has to take care of the surgeon's women since they're in the hospital all the time.

Take care,
Jeff

southerndoc said:
Not as much as surgery though. Our surgery colleagues have a higher chick factor.
That may not be true. I can count the numbers of surgeons I have met who can talk to women on one hand. Maybe things are different where you are but where I am surgeons are at the bottom of the barrel as far as the ladies are concerned. (excluding the ortho studs of course)

ERMudPhud said:
1. figuring out the diagnosis based on very limited information

2. emergent procedures

3. what generalveers said

(sorry thats 3 things but oh well)

Yes, only supposed to state one :)

But I might have to change mine to chicks too....na, i'll stick with diversity....maybe diversity of hot chicks....

i'll echo just about everyone above - except, being female, maybe being an ED doc is more of a negative than a positive when it comes to the guys...

oh, and you don't have to fill out those awful disability papers (those in IL know what i mean!) or deal with home health, placement, etc.