If the BCP GPA is so important, why do schools only report science and cumulative GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerNumTwo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past year that I've been on this path, it's been beaten into me that the BCP is incredibly important. I get it, it's all the pre-reqs rolled up into one number.

IF that is the case, why isn't the BCP GPA reported in any of the AADSAS or dental school publications? When I go to the website of all of the schools on my list, they ONLY list Science GPA and cumulative GPA. What gives??

(My BCP GPA is *significantly* higher than my science GPA, so I'd love to find out what the school's BCP averages are...)

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation as you from a short-lived stint in Computer Science. I would imagine for most applicants that their scienceGPA and their bcpGPA would be near-identical because a vast majority of applicants are from some form of natural science background, and for those that are non-science, their scienceGPA and bcpGPA will be the same thing because their only science courses would be the pre-requisites.

Like anything else on an application, it just helps to construct a clearer picture of an applicant by leveling the playing field between easier and harder course loads.

Edit: So I think the average scienceGPA would be a predictor of the average bcpGPA, if you have a solid reason for the lower scienceGPA subbing your bcpGPA would be a good heuristic I think.

Last edited: