If not Anesthesiology, what do you recommend students to go into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think this is dependent on location/institution. I know our REI guys charge like 15-18k per cycle. Still making bank

More and more insurance plans are now covering REI stuff like this. Might be this much for cash paying customers (ridiculous), but BC/BS around here typically pays out 4-5K per cycle. As this spreads the profit margin will plummet. I don’t think our state public insurance covers it, but if they do guaranteed it is for a fraction of that.

Again, chasing the money like this is typically a fool’s errand.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, would you recommend someone choosing between Anesthesia and Rads to go into rads and/or IR? Why or why not? What about psych? I feel like many people here take IM subspecialties to be better than gas, but what about being a hospitalist? Would you say your job is better than working as an ED physician?

Psych.

It's just like anesthesiology: we're pretty chill, sit all day, treat narcissists/surgeons and like to argue whether NPs/SWs/psychologists will take our jobs. The difference is our chairs are more comfy, the patients put us to sleep, we only work one room at a time and don't know what a pager looks like.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Psych.

It's just like anesthesiology: we're pretty chill, sit all day, treat narcissists/surgeons and like to argue whether NPs/SWs/psychologists will take our jobs. The difference is our chairs are more comfy, the patients put us to sleep, we only work one room at a time and don't know what a pager looks like.
Pay is hugely different, unless you have boutique clientele.

Psych.

I don’t disagree with this, but you have to want to do psych. There are probably few specialties as polar opposite as anesthesiology and psychiatry. Generally speaking I feel like most of the students who go into anesthesiology would hate psychiatry. If you love it it’s a great field. If you hate it I think it is one of Dante’s circles of hell.

100 posts later, its funny no one mentioned going into interventional pain.

As an anesthesiology PGY-1 this also surprises me. I was back and forth on anesthesiology because of the supervising model until I found pain. Now I’m 100% on the pain train. All of the grads from my current program seem to get strong interventional jobs with partnership, and most do some general anesthesia on the side while their practice builds up. Seems like a strong option. For a one year fellowship you get a whole new specialty (granted with its own share of problems). I know the days of making $650k are likely gone, but even the 10th percentile MGMA for pain is still nearly $300k and I doubt they are working 60 hr weeks.

I don’t disagree with this, but you have to want to do psych. There are probably few specialties as polar opposite as anesthesiology and psychiatry. Generally speaking I feel like most of the students who go into anesthesiology would hate psychiatry. If you love it it’s a great field. If you hate it I think it is one of Dante’s circles of hell.

As an anesthesiology PGY-1 this also surprises me. I was back and forth on anesthesiology because of the supervising model until I found pain. Now I’m 100% on the pain train. All of the grads from my current program seem to get strong interventional jobs with partnership, and most do some general anesthesia on the side while their practice builds up. Seems like a strong option. For a one year fellowship you get a whole new specialty (granted with its own share of problems). I know the days of making $650k are likely gone, but even the 10th percentile MGMA for pain is still nearly $300k and I doubt they are working 60 hr weeks.
The justification for seeing an endless supply of pain patients and performing dubious procedures was always the money.

If the money isn't there, but the liability and difficult patients are never ending, I wouldn't be able to survive psychologically.

Reactions: 7 users
100 posts later, its funny no one mentioned going into interventional pain.

Yeah, guess there’s a reason it’s such a competitive fellowship. After doing some research, it seems like EVERY field in medicine is “doomed”. How much of it is real and how much of it is to dissuade gunners can be debated. I’ll most likely end up dual-applying rads at ESIR programs and anesthesia as a backup, and maybe a few IM programs just to be safe, since it seems half this board wishes it were cardiologists :laugh: .

So I am a fourth year medical student, considering Anesthesiology. From reading this board, it seems like the vast majority of people here are down on the field, see the specialty as dead, ruled by CRNAs, etc. That being said, what job in medicine, besides derm, would you consider someone to go into? It seems like you guys get to do a lot of cool procedures, manage critical patients, and aren’t constantly working while at work (on my rotation the attendings would frequently be in the lounge watching Fox News and the resident in the room was scrolling through memes on their phone). That said, many of the attendings I met/worked with IRL seemed happy, liked their job, felt fairly compensated for their work, had an excellent work/life balance, and recommended that I go into the field. Since many here would recommend against going into Anesthesiology, what would you recommend instead, besides derm?

just union up with the CRNA's like how companies do mergers and then go on strike any time little henry's private school fees increase

Last edited:
This board is full of naysayers. I’d say most of anesthesiologists I work with love it and get paid well. I work less and more vacation then most of my surgical colleagues with no office headache. I know for a fact I also make more then a decent amount of them. So it’s not always greener. If I had re-do everything. I’d probably do ortho joints 10 years ago.

Also, child psychiatry is a hidden gold mine if you can stomach the work.

Reactions: 3 users
This board is full of naysayers. I’d say most of anesthesiologists I work with love it and get paid well. I work less and more vacation then most of my surgical colleagues with no office headache. I know for a fact I also make more then a decent amount of them. So it’s not always greener. If I had re-do everything. I’d probably do ortho joints 10 years ago.

not just well, considering how uncompetitive anesthesiology is , get 450k-600k at 6-13 weeks vacation for a 4 year residency and being in a powerful position in medical ecosystem

not just well, considering how uncompetitive anesthesiology is , get 450k-600k at 6-13 weeks vacation for a 4 year residency and being in a powerful position in medical ecosystem
Don't know what you're smoking but, in my neighborhood, you don't get 13 weeks vacation even at 300K.

The only way to get 13 weeks vacation is to work locums.

Reactions: 1 user

Now that many of my med school colleagues are done with their subspecialty fellowships, the most common complaint i hear is dealing with insurance companies. We don’t have to spend hours personally in the phone for pre-authorizations to order scans, meds and tests and then only be told to submit more information. It is very fortunate we get shielded from this because nearly every other specialty has to deal with it. Other exceptions: ER and path.

OP: understand that while surgical subs (among other things) is the answer you will get here on this board, if you ask the surgeons many will tell you "anesthesiology". You've been brainwashed by 4 years of undergrad, the MCAT, 3 years of medical school, and the USMLEs, into believing all questions have a correct answer. Try and kick that way of thinking now, because a whole new world of calculated risks and uncertainty is out there waiting for you in internship, residency, and beyond. Best thing to do is have a really honest conversation with yourself about what you like and don't like (not what your favorite attending likes, not what your parents like, not what that doctor on TV that seems to get all the girls likes- what YOU like), and use that at a starting point. Just remember: build in a little buffer for life-changes. You might decide as a 20-something that working nights and weekends is OK, so long as you are doing exciting work, but remember you are making that decision for 30-something you, 40-something you, 50-something you, and probably 60-something you.

that was.... beau ti ful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a lowly medical student here are my perceived pros and cons of anesthesia vs IM/subspecialty (two specialties I'm interested in pursuing).

Pros:
-Less documentation than IM
-Interesting physiology and evolving field
-Procedural based/hands on
-less required scut work than other specialties
-shorter/less intense training to achieve relatively good income
-variety of cases and ability to have variety if desired

Cons:
-lack of ownership of patients
-hospital based (call, answering to the man, etc.)
-surgeons controlling schedule
-CRNA/midlevel issue
-Highly stressful and high boredom depending on the case type

Anything I missed/misrepresented?
Circling back to this thread and bumping as I am now in M3 year and just did my Anesthesia rotation and have completed my IM rotation. My anesthesia rotation was at a community hospital, some groups supervise, others do their own cases. Some things that are making me lean towards Anesthesia instead of IM. I am aware that this topic has been beaten to death but may be useful for others.

1. Attendings seemed happier and seemed to really push for their specialty in Anesthesia. Felt like I had found my "people". I don't think the surgeon ego or "table up/down" mentality would really bother me.
2. Saw a few interesting cases and when sh** hit the fan I had mad respect for how cool-headed the attendings were. I like the physiology and pharmacology. Enjoyed seeing ultrasound and nerve blocks. Thought the procedural anatomy was pretty interesting. I liked the manipulation of physiology with ultrasound, vascular access, airway anatomy, drug delivery systems, and reading of ABGs, MAP, etc.
3. Documentation burden was much less than IM. Although I liked part of the intellectual aspects of IM, the admit and discharge summaries made me dread discharges and admits. I actually liked talking to patients and didn't mind rounding (didn't like it either). I definitely gravitated more towards the ICU and any critical patients we had. Was told that Anesthesiologists are critical care physicians of the OR.
4. I like doing just as much as I like thinking, and I get the sense there is an approximately equal amount of both in Anesthesia.
5. CRNAs and AAs I worked with seemed to respect opinions of Anesthesiologists. Midlevel issue is becoming a problem in all fields so no longer unique to anesthesia.
6. Figured I would much rather be on call and woken up to go emergently to the OR for a general surgical issue such as an Appy/chole/transplant/ob than be woken up for an admit from the ER.
7. I'd much rather be an expert on resuscitation than all the causes of hyponatremia.
8. decent options for SICU and CVICU positions if I do CC

Biggest cons for me versus IM:
1. Discrimination against CC in MICO from anesthesia route if i decide to do that.
2. Tied to the hospital, not having my own patients, don't think I could do pain.
3. Fellowship opportunities are less diverse.
4. The pharmacology on routine cases didn't seem to really change much. There did seem to be a bit more "monkey see, monkey do" mentality in Anesthesia (versed, prop, succ, fent, roc, sevo).

Leaning towards Anesthesia as I figure I can do my medicine prelim year, start anesthesia, and if I decide it's not right for me it's easier to switch into a PGY2 spot in medicine than it is to find a PGY2 spot in anesthesia. Anyone have words of wisdom?

Circling back to this thread and bumping as I am now in M3 year and just did my Anesthesia rotation and have completed my IM rotation. My anesthesia rotation was at a community hospital, some groups supervise, others do their own cases. Some things that are making me lean towards Anesthesia instead of IM. I am aware that this topic has been beaten to death but may be useful for others.

1. Attendings seemed happier and seemed to really push for their specialty in Anesthesia. Felt like I had found my "people". I don't think the surgeon ego or "table up/down" mentality would really bother me.
2. Saw a few interesting cases and when sh** hit the fan I had mad respect for how cool-headed the attendings were. I like the physiology and pharmacology. Enjoyed seeing ultrasound and nerve blocks. Thought the procedural anatomy was pretty interesting. I liked the manipulation of physiology with ultrasound, vascular access, airway anatomy, drug delivery systems, and reading of ABGs, MAP, etc.
3. Documentation burden was much less than IM. Although I liked part of the intellectual aspects of IM, the admit and discharge summaries made me dread discharges and admits. I actually liked talking to patients and didn't mind rounding (didn't like it either). I definitely gravitated more towards the ICU and any critical patients we had. Was told that Anesthesiologists are critical care physicians of the OR.
4. I like doing just as much as I like thinking, and I get the sense there is an approximately equal amount of both in Anesthesia.
5. CRNAs and AAs I worked with seemed to respect opinions of Anesthesiologists. Midlevel issue is becoming a problem in all fields so no longer unique to anesthesia.
6. Figured I would much rather be on call and woken up to go emergently to the OR for a general surgical issue such as an Appy/chole/transplant/ob than be woken up for an admit from the ER.
7. I'd much rather be an expert on resuscitation than all the causes of hyponatremia.
8. decent options for SICU and CVICU positions if I do CC

Biggest cons for me versus IM:
1. Discrimination against CC in MICO from anesthesia route if i decide to do that.
2. Tied to the hospital, not having my own patients, don't think I could do pain.
3. Fellowship opportunities are less diverse.
4. The pharmacology on routine cases didn't seem to really change much. There did seem to be a bit more "monkey see, monkey do" mentality in Anesthesia (versed, prop, succ, fent, roc, sevo).

Leaning towards Anesthesia as I figure I can do my medicine prelim year, start anesthesia, and if I decide it's not right for me it's easier to switch into a PGY2 spot in medicine than it is to find a PGY2 spot in anesthesia. Anyone have words of wisdom?
"Although I liked part of the intellectual aspects of IM,"

There is plenty of that in Anesthesia - take a look at the lung physiology chapter in Miller (for example).

"1. Discrimination against CC in MICO from anesthesia route if i decide to do that."
Probably true - but not always. My sister (an CC anesthesiologist, worked in an all pulmonology group and they loved her...but she is super awesome so maybe that isn't a good example).

"4. The pharmacology on routine cases didn't seem to really change much. There did seem to be a bit more "monkey see, monkey do" mentality in Anesthesia (versed, prop, succ, fent, roc, sevo)."

Admitting a CHF patient isn't routine? I thought my IM months as an intern was extremely "money see, monkey do." Here is a CHF admit, here is another MI, here is another hypernatremic contracted lady from the nursing home. It all becomes routine. The question is, do you want to be sitting down during the routine? Also, no rectal exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I seriously thought about switching to im when I was a medicine intern. But now as an attending I am pretty happy with sticking with anesthesiology.

I seriously thought about switching to im when I was a medicine intern. But now as an attending I am pretty happy with sticking with anesthesiology.
Could you explain further?

Could you explain further?

I was in a tough program, long hours with a ton of scut but they taught me a lot and I was treated just like everyone else. The medicine attendings were really strong and the chiefs and senior residents seemed like geniuses. I made some diagnoses that were missed by the admitting overnight senior or attending. I think I actually helped patients and I had the autonomy and training to feel like a real doctor. I wanted to be able to own my own business and I was worried about the crna threat.

I thought about it for awhile too, but I'm certainly glad I didn't make any effort to switch.

I liked the intellectual aspect of IM, the patient relationships, and the "real doctor" part of it. The prior authorizations, paperwork, patient difficulties, and weird hospital dynamics made it not amazing (e.g. ortho or GI dumping post surgical patients on you for dispo, or people arguing with you about why they didn't need to provide a consult).

I would be all over PE if it were more apparent how to get into it as a doctor. Indeed exploring it from the start, pre-residency, may be a good way to go for OP.
you can start out with consulting at a big 4 firm. BCG and McK have specific tracks for physicians. make it 7+ years there, pull a 1M+ salary

• Wow
you can start out with consulting at a big 4 firm. BCG and McK have specific tracks for physicians. make it 7+ years there, pull a 1M+ salary

I have a college buddy who went to work for McKinsey after med school and 1 year of GS residency. He left at the associate principal level and he reports the place is full of assh*les since most of them have been to assh*le (MBA) school.

I have a college buddy who went to work for McKinsey after med school and 1 year of GS residency. He left at the associate principal level and he reports the place is full of assh*les since most of them have been to assh*le (MBA) school.

Soooo... similar to dealing with assh*le surgeons? Except you can be an assh*le back.

I find majority of surgeons are all bark no bite. If you make it known you’re not to be walked on, they won’t.

• Haha
I find majority of surgeons are all bark no bite. If you make it known you’re not to be walked on, they won’t.
attending anesthesiologists make it hard for you to do that as a resident. Im sure its easier to tell the surgeons to pound sand once you're out

if not anesthesia, than definitely anesthesiology lol

Pros/characteristics of the trade: chill, interest in intellectual stimulation (pharm/phys/TEE), variety of cases in all surgical/procedural subspecialties, life saving capabilities (pretty sick- everyone knows it too ;) ), despise the sound of a pager, no continuity of care, and you don't have to entertain patient endless conversations other than in the preoperative setting (post op they are still altered for a bit, and usually don't want to talk anyway).

The more your in the ORs the more you will notice your irreplaceable (skill wise)- the midlevel "threat" is weak, independence sure, but replacement ehhh you'll always be there to put out fires.

Some days your busy and can't sit down (e.g hearts/OB) and others your coasting managing midlevels, if I had a opportunity to go through the residency match again Id do anesthesiology, again.

Think about you want in your life on a day to day basis (down to the time you will be waking up) and go from there.... good luck =)

You certainly can do this out in practice but as I’ve said elsewhere, “pick your battles”. One day you’re telling a surgeon who brings high paying cases to your group to pound sand, the next week you find yourself never working with that surgeon and it affecting you financially. It absolutely happens. Again, pick the battles and be sure your group is willing to back you up.

Reactions: 5 users
I would do Gi, cards, psych, pmnr, hospitalist.
Neurology may be a good choice these days. With all the vague neuro diseases (and even stroke), you will never want for work.

Very predictable hours, lots of 7 on, 7 off shifts. Not that stressful. Get to sit around and drink coffee and write notes most of the day.

Neurology may be a good choice these days. With all the vague neuro diseases (and even stroke), you will never want for work.
I think you mean, I would never want TO work because I would hate it...

• Haha
OP: understand that while surgical subs (among other things) is the answer you will get here on this board, if you ask the surgeons many will tell you "anesthesiology". You've been brainwashed by 4 years of undergrad, the MCAT, 3 years of medical school, and the USMLEs, into believing all questions have a correct answer. Try and kick that way of thinking now, because a whole new world of calculated risks and uncertainty is out there waiting for you in internship, residency, and beyond. Best thing to do is have a really honest conversation with yourself about what you like and don't like (not what your favorite attending likes, not what your parents like, not what that doctor on TV that seems to get all the girls likes- what YOU like), and use that at a starting point. Just remember: build in a little buffer for life-changes. You might decide as a 20-something that working nights and weekends is OK, so long as you are doing exciting work, but remember you are making that decision for 30-something you, 40-something you, 50-something you, and probably 60-something you.
This guy gets it.

Don’t forget that Step 1 score is a major factor in determining specialty choice. Step 1 of 235 or less and your choices are not the same as a Step 1 of 250.

I’d argue that a student should use that high Step 1 score to his/her advantage

I mean, even if you guys aren’t pulling in high six figures like “the good old days”, you still make more money than most physicians. Managing 4 rooms at once vs only worrying about 1 patient does seem like it would be annoying, but from what I understand, anesthesiologists themselves made that change so they could bill for 4 rooms and not have to be in the room with the surgeon. Why is SDN such a magnet for burnouts, Debbie downers, gunners, and just unpleasant personalities?
Sometimes bitching is a luxury. Look at what we Americans complain about. If you are occupied with very basic necessities such as putting food on the table each day or ensuring you have proper shelter, the bitching likely is way lower.

Every field has it's challenges. Also, to an extent SDN Anesthesiology is a vent for some of our frustrations. It doesn't mean we have this attitude in day to day life. It's a "safe place" (god I hate that phrase) to vent......

Sometimes bitching is a luxury. Look at what we Americans complain about. If you are occupied with very basic necessities such as putting food on the table each day or ensuring you have proper shelter, the bitching likely is way lower.

Every field has it's challenges. Also, to an extent SDN Anesthesiology is a vent for some of our frustrations. It doesn't mean we have this attitude in day to day life. It's a "safe place" (god I hate that phrase) to vent......
Of course there are greater problems in the world, but the complains here are mostly valid and reflect the diminishing role of the physician and the ever greater role of administrators and nurses in the way patient care is directed.

Don’t forget that Step 1 score is a major factor in determining specialty choice. Step 1 of 235 or less and your choices are not the same as a Step 1 of 250.

I’d argue that a student should use that high Step 1 score to his/her advantage

Current student here. How would you recommend a student best use a high step score to their advantage?

Current student here. How would you recommend a student best use a high step score to their advantage?
Go into the specialty that you most enjoy, and train at the institution that tickles your fancy. FFS...

By not applying to anesthesiology residencies.

The answer you are likely to receive is to go into a specialty that "owns" their patients and hopefully isn't beholden to a hospital to work at all.

By not applying to anesthesiology residencies.
Opthalmology. Thank me later.

But seriously, you sit while you operate and many of your patients' conditions aren't merely a result of horrendous lifestyle choices (therefore less burnout/cynicism).

I’d pick a specialty where you are in control of the patient and are viewed as essential; this is in contrast to EM or Anesthesiology where you are cog in the machine. Where do you want to be in the pecking order? I think Med Students have mostly figured this out already as reflected by the Step 1 scores for each specialty.
Even in a socialized system there are winners and losers. Unless things change radically our current Medicare based system means Anesthesia is a loser. I have had a very rewarding career financially but with a high Step score there is just no way I would choose Anesthesiology today. But, I would consider it with a Step 1 of 235. To each his/her own.

I’d pick a specialty where you are in control of the patient and are viewed as essential; this is in contrast to EM or Anesthesiology where you are cog in the machine. Where do you want to be in the pecking order? I think Med Students have mostly figured this out already as reflected by the Step 1 scores for each specialty.
Even in a socialized system there are winners and losers. Unless things change radically our current Medicare based system means Anesthesia is a loser. I have had a very rewarding career financially but with a high Step score there is just no way I would choose Anesthesiology today. But, I would consider it with a Step 1 of 235. To each his/her own.
I ...think I really like the acuity and procedures of anesthesia; the OR, the team-based nature of it; the focus on physio and pharm. But I don't want to select a condemned field (like EM). What I hear from you and others on this forum the most are probably the cog in a machine/replaceability/CRNA issues. But I don't know how much to weigh that against enjoyment of the actual content of the specialty. It sounds like the CRNA/replaceability issues are very frustrating to a lot of current anesthesiologists but I (sincerely) wonder how many non-sdn-using happy anesthesiologists there are who could easily reassure someone like me (MS3) considering this field.

In 2021, do you agree with the outlook of 2011 BLADEMDA or has too much changed?

Anesthesiology is STILL a good choice for Medical Students PROVIDED that student understands what he/she is really getting into by becoming an Anesthesiologist.

Most of you on SDN are willing to dig deeper into understanding what it means to be an Anesthesiologist in 2011. That's good.

No field can provide happiness to those who wouldn't be happy anyway; or, Anesthesiology won't necessarily be your ticket to happiness.

The CRNA threat is real but manageable. Sort of like a chronic illness which requires doctor visits and several medications to control. A pain at times but manageable provided you don't ignore the problem.

Each Medical Student should decide whether Gas is the right fit. The USA will continue to need top level Anesthesiologists to replace the retiring or semi-retiring baby boomers over the next few decades."

Last edited:
Every med student thinks "that guy's just disgruntled/miserable/angry.....his opinions don't apply to MY situation." Then 10 years later you start remembering all that sage advice that was given to you and you wished you would have listened. Hey! Don't feel bad....it happens to us all. Humans have a very unique ability to justify what they do by any means necessary.

1. Neurosurgery- because it is brain surgery my friend.
2. Derm
3. Interventional Cards/EP (I like the field- no NPs)
4. Ortho
5. ENT
6. Urology
7. Interventional Rads
8. Retinal Surgery
9. Maxillofacial
10. Hand Surgery

There are my top ten but not necessarily in any order. Pain Medicine would be number 11.

Do you still agree with your list from ~8 years ago? Any that you no longer recommend or ones that aren't on here that you would?

Blade knows where it's at. Guy has more experience than the next 3 posters combined.

• Hmm