If I don't like science courses, will I like vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr1985

AVC c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's OK not to like specific science courses. Somewhere out there are veterinarians who liked organic chemistry, but I haven't met them yet.

On the other hand, if you don't like science itself --the system of acquiring knowledge using observation and experimentation to explain natural phenomena -- then you probably won't like veterinary medicine much.

Thanks for the reply.

And yes, perhaps I should note that I definitely am a scientifically minded person. Psychology is a science (certainly its research methods), and I did quite well in my courses and research projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhere out there are veterinarians who liked organic chemistry, but I haven't met them yet.

I'm not a vet quite yet, but I loved organic chemistry! I was a chem major, so that probably had something to do with it. ;)

Back to the original question - I think if you don't enjoy some of the basic science courses, the first year (maybe 2) of vet school could be pretty miserable. However, I don't think too many people enjoy repeating biochemistry or cell biology, so you definitely won't be alone. That being said, having been through it once in undergrad should help you in vet school if you're grade conscious. I personally found that the basic science courses in vet school were not as greuling as the ones in undergrad, but that's just my opinion. And also - there's such a variation in the class types. If you like sciences like anatomy and physiology over ones like microbiology and biochem it balances out.

It wasn't until about 3rd year for me that I felt like I was actually able to put the basic knowledge together and apply it to the medicine. But there's a ton of people in my class that absolutely hated the first few years and now are loving the last two. You have to go through the basics to get there, though.

One other thing I would suggest, and you may already have done this, but shadow a veterinarian. If you feel like what they do is something you love, maybe it would be worth not enjoying a few classes. I think you should just make sure you enjoy the end result and what being a vet is actually about because you'll need to remember that when you're struggling through cell biology.

Last edited:
Back to the original question - I think if you don't enjoy some of the basic science courses, the first year (maybe 2) of vet school could be pretty miserable.

You have to go through the basics to get there, though.

Yep. You can't get away! :scared:

One other thing I would suggest, and you may already have done this, but shadow a veterinarian. If you feel like what they do is something you love, maybe it would be worth not enjoying a few classes. I think you should just make sure you enjoy the end result and what being a vet is actually about because you'll need to remember that when you're struggling through cell biology.

Very good advice. See what a vet does day in and day out and see if its something you could envision yourself doing every day.

Keep in mind, though, that even though you might like what a vet does, you still have to think like one, like Bill mentioned. Think about what you did not like about the courses and make sure it won't make your life horrible for about 2 years of vet school.

And its definitely a tough thing to go through for even those of us that LOVED organic chemistry! :love:

Hey, I feel your pain when it comes to organic chem...however it is necessary to get into the AVC. They require three chem courses there, one of which has to be an org chem. I am not sure where you are doing your undergrad, but I know a lot of AVC'ers do theirs at the NSAC. If that is where you are then I suggest taking Food Chem (with the lab) as it will replace the org chem mark and is quite a bit easier to grasp. I think the lowest "vet school average" that was accepted to the AVC this year was around 83/84....so not only do you have to worry about liking the courses when you get to vet school, but also if your undergrad will get you in. I am heading into my first year at the AVC, if you have anymore questions you can send me a personal msg. Good luck