If DO is first choice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one's future goal is to become a DO and there is only one DO school in the state and applicant cannot leave that state, should the aspiring DO apply to just that one school, or should allo schools be included? If the applicant is not accepted into DO program, but is accepted into an MD one, how easy is it to transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply early decision to the Osteopathic school in June. Then if they don't accept you you will still have time to throw in a few more applications to Osteopathic and Allopathic schools. Maybe if you get in you will be so excited that you will be willing to leave the state or at least commute a long way! If you really want to be a doctor I would do the Allopathic application too. Good luck!

Transferring is not easy, so don't plan on it.

I was in the same boat as you and I applied only to the Osteopathic school. Just be sure that you have decent stats, a good MCAT, get your application in early, shadow DOs, etc. so that your application will be a good one. In the end it will be up to you to decide if you really want all of your eggs in one basket.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to look into the Early Decision route for the one DO school.

You may also want to try one of the out of state DO schools. Many of the schools don't accept you based on residency. I believe that about 70% of the LECOM students are out of state. Tuition difference at some of the schools is minimal ($1000/year at LECOM)

Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, why could you not leave the state? If for financial reasons, keep in mind that most private schools don't have much of a difference in tuition for in vs.out of state students..