Idk if I'm going at a good pace

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MekM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been studying for the MCAT since the first week of febrauary and I plan on taking the MCAT in July. I originally planned on taking it for June 18th but was worried I wouldn't even be ready till then. I'm currently on the content stage and I've been studying for 5 to 6 hrs 6 days a week with one off day since then. Some days during the week I may be burn out and might take a day or even 2 off if I flat out feel like crap(feel guilty when this happens). Sometimes I can't help but to think that I'm not going at a good pace to be done with all the content on time. So far I've done an average of 5 chapters from each science books and currently on my second overview of them before proceeding on to the next stage of chapters (Im using kaplan self pace program btw) Im almost done with my cars book with 2 chapters left. Are they any suggestions if I'm going at a right pace and how to better structure my review for the upcoming months till my test including when to take section banks and FLs?

Members don't see this ad.

Incorporate practice passages to solidify your knowledge as soon as possible. Khan Academy is great for discrete, stand-alone passages. Once you're about 75% done with content review, start doing FLs. These will help solidify your knowledge and give you a feel for the timing on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
The single greatest error made on the MCAT is spending too much time reviewing content and not enough time doing practice problems. As soon as possible, move to doing practice problems. It's "easy" to read through a chapter compared to doing a set of practice problems that really stretch your ability. But doing problems, getting problems wrong, and understanding why you got them wrong is the single quickest way to improve your score. I've taught a lot of students and almost all of them wait too long to get started with intense practice. If you're doing Acids and Bases today, do three or four acid base passages. Even if you miss 70%, you now know what you don't know and what you need to practice. The sting of missing a question is often enough to burn it into your memory. This would be my #1 piece of advice for doing well on the MCAT.