Ideas/Suggestions on Paying for Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I am to start my post back this fall at CSU Fullerton. My original plan to pay my post bacc has fell through and now I am scrambling for other solutions. I have been looking into loans but despite my credit score actually being good, apparently my credit history isn't long enough (what counts as long enough? I am 25 and it has reached 6 years now!). So I have been doing a lot of pre qualifications and everyone is saying I will need a cosigner. The problem is, I do not have anyone that would be able to. My family isn't really the cosigning type of family and to be frank, I have the highest credit score of most of my family anyway. Does anyone have any other possible suggestions, solutions, etc? I am sort of freaking out. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is FAFSA not an option? So long as you enroll as a "degree seeking" student you should be eligible.

Is FAFSA not an option? So long as you enroll as a "degree seeking" student you should be eligible.

I probably should have also mentioned that! So the post-bacc is only eligible for $12,5000 in federal loans for the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably should have also mentioned that! So the post-bacc is only eligible for $12,5000 in federal loans for the first year.

Take what you can get. Apply for grants/scholarships. Others may not encourage it, but you could check into private loans through Sallie Mae or the like.

Are you sure about that? While there are limits to subsidized loans, the rest of the balance should be covered by PLUS unsubsidized loans. I've never heard of a graduate program having a loan limitation.

Are you sure about that? While there are limits to subsidized loans, the rest of the balance should be covered by PLUS unsubsidized loans. I've never heard of a graduate program having a loan limitation.

The Post Bacc at Fullerton unfortunately isn’t classified as a graduate program so I can’t even tap into those loans yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Take what you can get. Apply for grants/scholarships. Others may not encourage it, but you could check into private loans through Sallie Mae or the like.

I’ve definitely accepted the $12,500. I’ve been sending letters to loads of foundations asking for funding. The issue with private loans is despite a good credit score, I don’t have a co-signer and I need one because my credit history apparently isn’t long enough to be approved.

I’ve definitely accepted the $12,500. I’ve been sending letters to loads of foundations asking for funding. The issue with private loans is despite a good credit score, I don’t have a co-signer and I need one because my credit history apparently isn’t long enough to be approved.

Are you employed? If not, check out work study, work on campus, etc. There's $$$ out there, so get your hustle on!

Ugh this sucks. I'm sorry. I wish education were free in the US.

I was in a similar situation. I could have gotten private loans for my postbac, but I decided to forego the terrible interest rates on them and slowly take classes while working so I could pay for them as I went along. Now I'm 32 cuz it took so many years, but luckily I had enriching work opportunities along the way that ultimately helped my application. This doesn't really answer your question, I'm afraid. Is there a finaid officer at CSU who can help you here?

Good luck!