ideas for Go-bag during COVID field work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

911anh

Reaction score
I'm putting together a go-bag to do occasional field work as part of my new role in my urban metro area. I've received the 1st of the pfizer vaccine (with the 2nd this week) and managed not to get ill doing clinical work all last year. I've been relatively more careful than my peers at two different hospitals: N95 on/off in parking lot, face shield for every encounter regardless of Sx, PAPR and video laryngoscopy for intubations, decon room/shower in my house. It's all about COVID where I'm at right now, our hospitals are busting at the seams, and there are a lot of high-risk folks out there who aren't headed for ER care/PMD as they would have done in the pre-COVID era. Think project housing, homeless shelters, etc. The concept of this bag is less diagnosis/treatment, but rather to provide me the needs for basic field triage and personal PPE when I do need to leave the office. If someone is actually down, I would just do CPR/grab an AED and ring EMS just like any bystander. I don't plan to carry meds no matter how basic.

I would appreciate additional ideas. Space is at premium and that trusty helmet shield is already hanging off the strap.

Here's the list so far from my basic clinical items:

1. Hipster Timbuk2 bag embroidered with the logo of previous employer/predatory non-democratic group
2. stethoscope (not sure about this one anymore)
3. several pens, magic markers
4. plastic forks, hot sauce packs, granola bars
5. iphone (notes, pictures, light) with airpods/backup headphones
6. notebook/clipboard

Covid add-ons:

1. canister of disinfection wipes
2. N95 masks
3. flexible face shield (the kind staff use at restaurants)
4. helmet-style face shield (for when someone is actively shedding)
5. spare scrubs
6. portable pulse-ox
7. BP cuff (not sure about this one)
8. thermometer - thx Franzd'Epinay
9. gloves

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The concept of this bag is less diagnosis/treatment, but rather to provide me the needs for basic field triage and personal PPE when I do need to leave the office.

I'm a bit confused on what exactly you'll be doing. Are you responding with EMS and helping triage the necessity of a hospital visit?

I'm a bit confused on what exactly you'll be doing. Are you responding with EMS and helping triage the necessity of a hospital visit?
sounds like the other folks on board are coordinating quarantine programs, implementing contact tracing, putting together vaccination tents, etc. typical encounters should require ppe, clipboard/pen, iphone. example scenario requiring me to reach in the bag is someone in a quarantine shelter but looks a bit off...in this case, pulse ox of 85% would convince me to send them out.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like the other folks on board are coordinating quarantine programs, implementing contact tracing, putting together vaccination tents, etc. typical encounters should require ppe, clipboard/pen, iphone. example scenario requiring me to reach in the bag is someone in a quarantine shelter but looks a bit off...in this case, pulse ox of 85% would convince me to send them out.
Sounds like you'll be working in a role similar to a community/public health worker. In that case you probably just need PPE, a thermometer, and whatever paperwork they want you to fill out.

Sounds like you'll be working in a role similar to a community/public health worker. In that case you probably just need PPE, a thermometer, and whatever paperwork they want you to fill out.
ahh! thermometer! small and easy. thx!

Some of y'all are taking this way to seriously. It's a respiratory virus, you are not going to war or surviving a zombie apocalypse.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of y'all are taking this way to seriously. It's a respiratory virus, you are not going to war or surviving a zombie apocalypse.

I disagree. I think only having one brand of hot sauce packets is underestimating this thing. A proper COVID bag will have multiple different brands. I think it's a grave mistake to only have a plastic fork and not plastic sporks.

I disagree. I think only having one brand of hot sauce packets is underestimating this thing. A proper COVID bag will have multiple different brands. I think it's a grave mistake to only have a plastic fork and not plastic sporks.
i carry chopsticks, too. can't be too prepared.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
agreed. just want the same precautions available to me for the right circumstances. i'll never forget members of my staff being reprimanded by admin for wearing masks outside of patient rooms back in March...back when the thought of scaring off customers out-weighed staff safety. let's also not forget the times my scribes and techs were not given masks because asymptomatic presentation was not believed to exist. ahh, the pleasures of hindsight.

agreed. just want the same precautions available to me for the right circumstances. i'll never forget members of my staff being reprimanded by admin for wearing masks outside of patient rooms back in March...back when the thought of scaring off customers out-weighed staff safety. let's also not forget the times my scribes and techs were not given masks because asymptomatic presentation was not believed to exist. ahh, the pleasures of hindsight.

Things are definitely better now that we have a year of retrospective data. We don't need hazmat suits anymore and fortunately a simple 95 will likely reduce most risk from procedures.

Things are definitely better now that we have a year of retrospective data. We don't need hazmat suits anymore and fortunately a simple 95 will likely reduce most risk from procedures.
That's true. We were intubating patients like crazy when this first started, and it turned out to not to be the best for patients.

My hospital now has >190 COVID admissions (confirmed). It's really, really bad with the oversaturation in every ER in Georgia right now. The average NEDOCS score for facilities in metro Atlanta is >200 now with many of the larger ER's >400.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's true. We were intubating patients like crazy when this first started, and it turned out to not to be the best for patients.

My hospital now has >190 COVID admissions (confirmed). It's really, really bad with the oversaturation in every ER in Georgia right now. The average NEDOCS score for facilities in metro Atlanta is >200 now with many of the larger ER's >400.
At my critical access hospital they called me to intubate a 75 yo physician who'd been there for a few days. After informed discussion with the doctor we agreed not to intubate him.....

So you're saying I don't need to top off my 9 year supply of toilet paper?

So you're saying I don't need to top off my 9 year supply of toilet paper?
Not unless you're trying to build a toilet paper fort. In which case, not nearly enough of a supply...

Don't wear shoes in the house either.
I recommend paper clothes and booties whenever leaving the house. You can put them in the portable incinerator before entering the house. Anyone see the original Andromeda Strain? We gotta take precautions like that and build a Wildfire-like multi-level underground facility.

I recommend paper clothes and booties whenever leaving the house. You can put them in the portable incinerator before entering the house. Anyone see the original Andromeda Strain? We gotta take precautions like that and build a Wildfire-like multi-level underground facility.
Haha. I wasn't actually speaking about COVID...
The bidet is known around the world, as is the idea of taking off your shoes before you enter the house.
Never mind.. it's a joke inside my head that maybe didn't come out right.

My brother-in-law told me that exact same thing, over Christmas dinner this year.
The bidet is like the ultrasound--it's a situational tool when needed. You don't need to scan every toe pain looking for an occult fracture so you can publish it in a journal. Similarly, use the bidet when you need it. That said, it's a nice tool to have.

I didn't see a gun on the OP list. That's probably the only thing needed. Bonus for something with a laser beam.

• Haha
Wife's brother.
I'm rather fortunate - both my b-i-l's are great guys (my sister's husband, and my wife's brother). Each of them did their own general contracting on their homes, legit. All the plumbing, electrical, framing, and concrete finishing each did themselves. Me? I can put some tape and super glue on it, but that's iffy.