Idealistically matching into IM as an IMG (with a very poor Step 1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anyamelu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
US IMG but I have an AWFUL step 1 (<205). Honestly my only red flag but it's so bad. that it's going to hurt me a lot. Otherwise, never failed a class, honored all core rotations and my Sub Internship, and just got 240+ on Step 2. I have 1 pub, 2 papers pending publication, 2 posters and presentations, tons of work and volunteer experience, and a few awards from my school. I just have this awful feeling I will not match because of my step 1 score. I have explained the circumstances in my PS as I did have an emergency just weeks before sitting and it definitely hindered my score. Realistically how are programs going to look at my application being that I'm an IMG and I have this eyesore of a score? Asking for anyone. who went through a previous match for IM or any specialty. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With the rest of your application being solid, I don’t think it will be such a problem. Plenty of decent community programs would be happy to have you.

Which school are you coming from?

I generally agree that as long as there are no other red flags, you can match as long as you are aiming mostly for community IM programs in less desirable locations. Maybe throw a couple of noncompetitive academic programs if you did an away there or nearby.

With the rest of your application being solid, I don’t think it will be such a problem. Plenty of decent community programs would be happy to have you.
Ok, I was planning on applying community programs and some community-university programs. Wasn't planning on applying anywhere top tier lol. Thank you!