Ideal medical school model with P/F Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should the current med school curriculum model be changed to accommodate the new focus on Step 2?

• Yes

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters

findoc

Burt Macklin, FBI
Reaction score
Let's figure out the optimal medical school model now that Step 1 will be P/F and Step 2 being the new focus.

How should this change med school curriculum?

Here's what I think:

- Two years for pre-clinical is unnecessary and undesirable. Decrease it to 1 or 1.5 years.
- To accommodate this, increase the pre-reqs for med school by including more pre-clinical material. For example, requiring biochem and A&P. This effectively pushes the material normally covered in the first semester to pre-MD years.
- Expand the timeline of clinical rotations before taking Step 2.
- Allow for more opportunities for research, especially clinical. Need opportunities for students to stand out and make their mark.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL they just announced the changes and premeds are freaking out about their specialty prospects and school US news rank for specialties they don't even know if they like yet.

Y'all need some Xanax.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's figure out the optimal medical school model now that Step 1 will be P/F and Step 2 being the new focus.

How should this change med school curriculum?

Here's what I think:

- Two years for pre-clinical is unnecessary and undesirable. Decrease it to 1 or 1.5 years.
- To accommodate this, increase the pre-reqs for med school by including more pre-clinical material. For example, requiring biochem and A&P. This effectively pushes the material normally covered in the first semester to pre-MD years.
- Expand the timeline of clinical rotations before taking Step 2.
- Allow for more opportunities for research, especially clinical. Need opportunities for students to stand out and make their mark.

What do you think?
I think you know nothing about developing or implementing a curriculum. Just chill for a sec man

• Love
Reactions: 1 users