ICU intubations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Felodep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am fairly new to the forum, but do troll around sometimes to read critical care related posts. As a background, I am a 3rd year IM res going into Pulm CC fellowship(in about 6 days!). One specific interest of mine has been learning airway management, likely due to the significant lack of opportunities at our hospital(large academic center in north east). I always was keen to learn new procedures and pearls in the ICU. I did a few anesth electives, but 2 anesth residents come for most airways, their intern usually gets first shot at it.

My issue arises with anesthesia being called to manage all airways (except for 3 attendings who do their own). While I understand gas folks are the most experienced at managing airways, this does create a few undesirable outcomes--

1) Pulm fellows don't learn how to intubate ( do around 10-20 intubations, but 200-300 bronchs in 3 years), hence become attendings who aren't comfortable at it--> gener (we have an IP guy trained at our shop who does Perc trachs and rigid bronchs, but is uncomfortable with DL)

2) Due to the ICU team being uncomfortable with airway m/t, there is a lag time before an airway is established by anesthesia-usually 4-5 min. This approach may be sub optimal in sick people who really need plastic between their cords.

3) I believe managing airways is an essential skill required by each intensivist(even though the ACCP requires only 20 for fellowship completion), and is learned by repetition like a lot of other procedures (granted the stakes are higher)--> something that may not occur if one does not routinely manage their own.

Our program may be more stuck up because of politics and general hesitation towards any change. But I wonder what people think here wrt

Who manages airways in your ICU's(ie anesth intubating in ICU's the norm rather than the exception)

Who you believe should manage airways? (a few small head to head studies have been done b/w Anesth CC vs IM CC)

I respect all my EM, anesth, surgical colleagues a lot, so no sarcasm/turf war in the this post. Just want to know what the environment is outside my hospital.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well. Unless your MICU staff are comfortable and defend their territory to take first shot, you're just going to be out of luck in training, especially in places that have anesthesia residencies or CRNA training. I don't really see much of a way around it in the academic world. The less academic you get the more you will be managing your own airways as an intensivist.

Most academic places where anesthesia does the airway are very willing to give you a crack at it. I would suggest being very forward and aggressive in your chances at practicing if you want it to be part of your skill set. Read about it, try different techniques and use electives to go to the OR and practice doing 10/day for a few weeks. You can get proficient at it, especially in the age of VL. Also go to a difficult airway course your first year and see all the devices early on to get some familiarity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at an academic place, do my own airways when my fellows have trouble.
Once in a while coordinate with anesthesia for back-up if you know it is going to be difficult.
The OR is a good place to lear technique, but set-up and airway planning in the ICU is a whole different ballgame.
Patients in ICU are very sick, get hypoxic fast sometimes, have hemodynamic issues, and don't always shave...
You need to be great at:

Bagging
Oral Airway
Nasal trumpet
Positioning
Suctioning
Pharmacology of sedation/analgesia/paralytics
Organizing your team (equipment set-up, cricoid person, hand the tube person, drugs person...)
DL skills (Mac and Miller)
LMA as rescue
Video blade as primary or rescue
Bougie
Bronch/fiberoptic
Knowing when and how to try awake intubation
Probably emergent cric/trach too

When I was a fellow I did a required anesthesia month, 2 elective anesthesia months, and > 100 ICU intubations. I also took a difficult airway course. All of this was, in my opinion, a bare minimum, and I always wish I had more.
If you really want to do airways, be proactive. If you are in the unit and are doing an elective/semi-elective intubation, make a plan and set up equipment, and anesthesia will probable give you a try if you show you know what you are doing.
If it is an emergent airway, and anesthesia is called, take the bad/mask +/- an oral or nasal airway and pre-oxygenate the patient (bagging is as or more important in an emergency than being able to intubate).
Know how to anticipate and plan for a difficult airway, and most importantly know how to hand a surprise difficult airway.

Good luck... this training is getting harder and harder to really get outside gas...

One of my passions!

I'm a form believer the ICU should do their own airways. The nuance is that if you are doing your own airway, you really have to know what you are doing.

Where I trained in residency, the Sicu did all their own airways despite being an academic institution in New York City.

Thank you all for your replies! I think being prepared when gas arrives will be key. Are there any good airway workshops you recommend? I will try one this year.

You should have gone to an unopposed IM program. I had over 120 airways as a medicine resident at my shop.

I also did ACEP difficult airway course when I was a pgy2. Highly recommend it.

ICU is not the ideal place for a rookie to learn DL. The patients are sick, prone to bleed, prone to aspirate, and have no reserve. Most of them are one attempt away from becoming a difficult airway or something even worse.

If you really want to be good at intubations, arrange one anesthesia month in the OR and practice on healthy patients.

Reactions: 1 user