ICO or NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericlemonster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time deciding between ICO and NECO. One of my principle concerns regarding my school choice, has been location. I want to live/study in a city where I will see a diverse patient pool and have a great clinical experience; something similar to Los Angeles. Beyond that, I can't differentiate the school's much.

Boston is a beautiful city. I really enjoyed sight-seeing during my interview. However, I did not feel any overwhelmingly positive feelings about the school itself. I thought the building was beautiful, but small and cramped. It also felt very, very formal during my entire interview; I'm more a laidback homebody.

On the other hand, Chicago is a nice city; but, not as nice as Boston. I didn't fel as safe in Chicago as I did in Boston too. I did feel a very positive and warm vibe with the staff here. Plus, I've heard great things about the clinic. Also, ICO offers dorms/board that would make my transition away from home easier.

I've read some posts about the schools, and I've seen much more positive talk about ICO than NECO. Just wondering if anybody had comments on what helped them make their decision (esp. re: a school out of their home state), and their thoughts and opinions about the schools, and what they look for in a quality school.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

ericlemonster said:
I'm having a difficult time deciding between ICO and NECO. One of my principle concerns regarding my school choice, has been location. I want to live/study in a city where I will see a diverse patient pool and have a great clinical experience; something similar to Los Angeles. Beyond that, I can't differentiate the school's much.

Boston is a beautiful city. I really enjoyed sight-seeing during my interview. However, I did not feel any overwhelmingly positive feelings about the school itself. I thought the building was beautiful, but small and cramped. It also felt very, very formal during my entire interview; I'm more a laidback homebody.

On the other hand, Chicago is a nice city; but, not as nice as Boston. I didn't fel as safe in Chicago as I did in Boston too. I did feel a very positive and warm vibe with the staff here. Plus, I've heard great things about the clinic. Also, ICO offers dorms/board that would make my transition away from home easier.

I've read some posts about the schools, and I've seen much more positive talk about ICO than NECO. Just wondering if anybody had comments on what helped them make their decision (esp. re: a school out of their home state), and their thoughts and opinions about the schools, and what they look for in a quality school.

Thanks.

What makes you say Chicago's not as nice as Boston?

ericlemonster said:

Although the ICO location may be in a bit of a shady area, the clinic and school are self-contained, plus there is a parking garage and security. It's the same as any larger city - just be careful and aware. Since you're looking to live in the RC, that's just a few steps away (a huge plus for 8 am classes!) I don't know much about NECO, but Boston being a big city - it probably has its "less safe" areas as well. It's probably a bit cleaner and less windy than Chicago, though. :p However, don't assume that just because people aren't being vocal about NECO on the board that it's not as great.
Just remember, you're probably going to be spending more (quality) time in classes and interacting with faculty, patients, and students, rather than having fun out on the town, so weigh accordingly. Good luck with your tough choice!

I went through the EXACT same problem that you're having. Its a tough call. I also liked boston more as a city, but chicago's clinical opportunities were also very alluring. Not to say that you wouldnt get a great education at NECO, but i think there is a lot to be said for ICO's curriculum and especially its clinical education. I went with ICO in the end b/c i would regret much more a decision based on location than on the education i was getting.. after all, thats what we're going to school for, right? good luck with your decision, both are great schools!!
~L