I yr MPH with International health and Policy focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFUA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any suggestions. Have a BS with 3 year health - related experience.
So far, i have
gwu
jhsph
bu

2 year programs
tulane
emory
harvard
yale.

Any thoughts, i'd appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard is a 1 year program. Harvard also pretty much requires that you have a doctoral degree before you can enroll. It's very rare for them to make exceptions. They do offer a masters (non-MPH) for those with only a bachelors.

Yale has a pretty intensive program. The people I know who have completed it speak very highly of it. It involves a field experience and a thesis.

Emory's program also involves a thesis.

I'm actually interested in the same thing...

Do you know if Harvard's program accepts med students?

Also, what are some of the positive points of some of these programs? (you mentioned the thesis at Yale and Emory...what others?)

Members don't see this ad :)
So Harvard accepts students after their MS3 year, but does not award the MPH until they complete the MPH year and MS4? Even if they go to another medical school?

Also, can you give me an idea of what Harvard's admissions requirements would be for a med student? Thanks!

Minimal5 said:
So Harvard accepts students after their MS3 year, but does not award the MPH until they complete the MPH year and MS4? Even if they go to another medical school?

Also, can you give me an idea of what Harvard's admissions requirements would be for a med student? Thanks!
Check out their website: www.hsph.harvard.edu

Lots of admission questions are answered there.

You are correct that they will wait until you earn your MD (or DO) degree before awarding your MPH, even if you are attending a different medical school. About half of Harvard's MPH students who are enrolled in medical school are enrolled at medical schools other than Harvard.

Just for fun, check out www.harvardsucks.org. Man that was a great prank! Even better to have witnessed it!

Minimal5 said:
I'm actually interested in the same thing...

Do you know if Harvard's program accepts med students?

How about Johns Hopkins? Does it accept students working on their Med degree?

Thanks, Southerndoc!

Can anyone further elaborate on the positive points of some of these programs? (you mentioned the thesis at Yale and Emory...what others?)