I want to make money, and i like kids.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For PedsID I am hoping for 90-100k starting after fellowship...... though only looking at large academic places and would be starting as instructor. Would agree with above, easy decision when you like what you do.
Really. Nurses make that in their first year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh maybe in California but that’s not a typical RN salary most places (think more like 60-70k). That’s definitely NP salary range though.

Sorry. You are giving early to median experience--and there are other factors you aren't adding in as well. No where near Cali. Experienced in right specialty,$ 100000 for 40 hrs and w/ call and related OT hours, higher.

Sorry. You are giving early to median experience--and there are other factors you aren't adding in as well. No where near Cali. Experienced in right specialty,$ 100000 for 40 hrs and w/ call and related OT hours, higher.

Median is...the median.

People have argued about this in this forum before citing random nurses they know at their hospital that make 100K. The data doesn't bear this out. Median salaries in all areas of the country tend to be around 70K. You're citing a very specific set of things to get you to that number as a nurse. I didn't disagree that SOME nurses may make that much. It is not at all typical.

Also that person I was responding to said that nurse make that in their first year...again outside of California very few to no nurses are making near 100K their first year.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, we must consider if the $70,000 rangers are working 36hr/wk versus 40, and yes, other factors. Experienced nurses on a whole other coast indeed do make $100,000. Also, $100,000 isn't as much as it used to be. We must consider that there is quite a good number of nurses that do not work full time. As such, their incomes won't reflect being closer to $100,000.

Where certain physicians would make more in remote areas away from the tertiary care, inner city, teaching hospitals, in nursing, often it's the opposite. Nurses often get paid more in inner cities at high level teaching hospitals. There's rotations and shift differential as well. Consider that an RN working 36 hours per week is making $37 per hour w/o shift differential or other factors that may easily be brought in--and only 36 hours. Like in medicine and other fields, the incomes can be on media sites as lower than reality. In nursing there is that kind of income, w/ strong experience; but it comes often at a demanding, leg, back, and bladder breaking way--w/ often little respect at times from others--I won't go there--and patients laying down their stress, anger, frustration, etc on the safest target, and for them, it may often enough be the nurse. The nurse's head has to stay at a higher place to stay good at it and even stay in it. There are a ton of RNs that will only work part time.