I want to go on welfare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spare me your hypocritical wrath.

Millions of fat moms get welfare doing nothing but spending all day watching TV, so I'm damn sure going to claim some of that government money while I bust my ass off in school. The government can bill me with those ridiculous tax brackets after I make 100k per year.

So, what are the steps involved? Is all welfare run by the states, or do you have to apply to some federal agency or something?

Members don't see this ad.

devildoc2 said:
Millions of fat moms get welfare doing nothing but spending all day watching TV

I must say, it isn't just Fat mom's now a day's.....I work in three ER's and it seems like everyone and their brother can get on welfare.....It is a state by state regulated gig so you will need to contact the department of social services to file....I don't know what it takes to get on for sure, I am sure that financially you should be able to qualify, but they probably will have a rule that if your trying to better yourself then you can't get it.....you could lie and tell them that you want to sit and watch oprah....that might do it.......

Good luck, let me know how it turns out for you.

Although I don't know for sure, I have to believe there is some measure in place to prevent this from occuring. You probably have to sign some form saying that you are not a full time student.

You might be able to get away with it.... just like you might be able to get away with lying on your FAFSA. But if you did do this and then got caught, the results would not be pretty. Lying on a federal or state form might be a serious enough offense to prevent you from obtaining a medical license.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. I agree that it is ridiculous that many people are out there abusing the system and I share your frustration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do know that it is possible to get food stamps while you are a full time student. As mentioned before the policy varies from state to state, but it is allowed in TN and IN.

FAt moms? you do realize that there are limited areas that accept welfare tickets, and the food is not going to be the highest of quality (chips, fried foods, etc) walmart does accept welfare, i believe but you arent always going to find one everywhere. when you have money then you can get your fresh veggies, fruits, and food.

but the issue that everyone is getting welfare is defintely an abuse of the system.

bryan45876 said:
I do know that it is possible to get food stamps while you are a full time student. As mentioned before the policy varies from state to state, but it is allowed in TN and IN.

I knew a guy that was married with a baby and both he and his wife were students (masters/phd) and they got welfare.

**Note to would-be flamers, "you" is used in the generic sense and does not refer to any poster, past or future, associated with this or any other thread. The "you"s will know who they are.**

Welfare does not make you fat, lazy or anything else.

Food stamp eligibility is based on income. Welfare is based on the same principle. In other words - how much do you make and how much do you need to live.

Using food stamps doesn't mean you get greasy unhealthy food. Most grocery stores take food stamps. Buy a banana with cash, buy a banana with food stamps. Fresh fruits, veggies, cereal, milk, cheese. Food.

In the U.S. we've created a pretty high standard of living - even for the basics. Some people don't get by. Some by choice, others by chance.

Students can get food stamps if they qualify. They can get subsidized housing, assistance with utilities, even cash - it all depends on the local qualifications.

Of course the purpose of the programs is to get people moving forward to get on their feet. Are there abuses? Sure. Does that make everyone and anyone who uses the program bad? Absolutely not. Does it make those who assume so ignorant and arrogant? Maybe.

I believe in self-sufficiency. I work a full-time job as a full-time student to support my wife and kids. As a med student I know I'll have to max out my loans to take care of my family. They are my family - that's my job.

So what if I end up needing food stamps? Does that make me lazy? I don't think so. I'm guessing as I doctor I'll pay far more in taxes than I'll ever take from the system. I'll contribute to society more than I'll take from it.

You don't believe in having to take care of others?

Don't get to medical school or get into residency. Both rely on federal dollars. The USA Today reported only a week ago that federal money pays about $100,000 per resident per year. Not resident incomes, but the costs associated with residents working and treating in a hospital.

Don't use subsidized Stafford Loans for your education. The interest deferred during your education doesn't disappear. It is paid by federal money - everyone else taking care of you.

Don't collect Social Security or Medicare when you retire. Social Security is specifically set up to help you maintain not just an income but a standard of living.

That's what this all comes down to. We create with our national wealth a standard of living. Then we create programs when that standard is too high for some to reach.

smc927 said:
**Note to would-be flamers, "you" is used in the generic sense and does not refer to any poster, past or future, associated with this or any other thread. The "you"s will know who they are.**

Welfare does not make you fat, lazy or anything else.

Food stamp eligibility is based on income. Welfare is based on the same principle. In other words - how much do you make and how much do you need to live.

Using food stamps doesn't mean you get greasy unhealthy food. Most grocery stores take food stamps. Buy a banana with cash, buy a banana with food stamps. Fresh fruits, veggies, cereal, milk, cheese. Food.

In the U.S. we've created a pretty high standard of living - even for the basics. Some people don't get by. Some by choice, others by chance.

Students can get food stamps if they qualify. They can get subsidized housing, assistance with utilities, even cash - it all depends on the local qualifications.

Of course the purpose of the programs is to get people moving forward to get on their feet. Are there abuses? Sure. Does that make everyone and anyone who uses the program bad? Absolutely not. Does it make those who assume so ignorant and arrogant? Maybe.

I believe in self-sufficiency. I work a full-time job as a full-time student to support my wife and kids. As a med student I know I'll have to max out my loans to take care of my family. They are my family - that's my job.

So what if I end up needing food stamps? Does that make me lazy? I don't think so. I'm guessing as I doctor I'll pay far more in taxes than I'll ever take from the system. I'll contribute to society more than I'll take from it.

You don't believe in having to take care of others?

Don't get to medical school or get into residency. Both rely on federal dollars. The USA Today reported only a week ago that federal money pays about $100,000 per resident per year. Not resident incomes, but the costs associated with residents working and treating in a hospital.

Don't use subsidized Stafford Loans for your education. The interest deferred during your education doesn't disappear. It is paid by federal money - everyone else taking care of you.

Don't collect Social Security or Medicare when you retire. Social Security is specifically set up to help you maintain not just an income but a standard of living.

That's what this all comes down to. We create with our national wealth a standard of living. Then we create programs when that standard is too high for some to reach.

:thumbup:

Don't trip stepping down from your soap box.....