I think what we have here is a failure to communicate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"If its so wonderful there, then what the hell are you doing in the US, huh?"

Right. I didn't say "go back to Africa." She/he claimed Africa was some great place to live, yet she/he moves to America... Puhleez. Someone has to pull the BS flag when it is needed. Further, do you recall her/his post awhile back. "YOU CAN GO BACK TO EUROPE." I find it incredibly funny that she/he said such. And I bet you conveniently forgot it. You really didn't have any problem with her when she said it. Wow. A whole paragraph about nothing. I hate those.

"I don't see what you have to gain by opposing AA. I certainly don't have anything to gain or lose, namely nothing that I can attribute to the existence or nonexistance of AA. Abolishing it is not going to get you into med school. Odds are, you won't be displaced by a minority, rather, by one of Cohan's grandchildre"

It's a moral issue for me. I will have no troubles with admission. Well, maybe with a big 10 admission, but that's about it.

Oh, and Cohen's dirty little parasitic progeny can eat my dust in med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Ernham
"If its so wonderful there, then what the hell are you doing in the US, huh?"

Right. I didn't say "go back to Africa." She/he claimed Africa was some great place to live, yet she/he moves to America... Puhleez. Someone has to pull the BS flag when it is needed. Further, do you recall her/his post awhile back. "YOU CAN GO BACK TO EUROPE." I find it incredibly funny that she/he said such. And I bet you conveniently forgot it. You really didn't have any problem with her when she said it.

I don't thrive off of AA post like some (ahem), so my apologies if i happened to overlook that particular post. I don't see the point in reading every single AA thread, because its basically the same thing repeated on both sides... its been that way for years. Had I seen it, I probably would've commented on how ridiculous it was. We're all americans, so none of us should question why we're here now. The fact is we're here. Now we need to learn to live together.

It's a moral issue for me. I will have no troubles with admission. Well, maybe with a big 10 admission, but that's about it.

In that case, you're kidding yourself. Regardless of your stats and race, med school admissions isn't a cakewalk for ANYONE.

What are your moral reasons for opposing AA? Wait, let me list them for you (I kind of like this new method of communication):

1) You believe that federal support for a seemingly racist system further perpectuates racism within our society.

2)You feel that giving "handouts" to certain historically oppresed minorities will somehow diminish their livelihood or self-worthiness, as they will encounter prejudice among their peers who will assume that they got a "free ticket." Any minority who supports AA has no self-respect.

3) You feel that merit-based admissions are the first step that our nation needs to take towards a color-blind society.

4) Minorities, namely blacks, have been given opportunities in the past, and still are not reaching the same levels of achievement as their poor white/asian counterpars. Racism isn't, of course, a factor of this; they're just lazy and are becoming more and more dependent on freebies and handouts.

5) You can't sleep at night thinking that some poor patient will someday be treated by a licensed physician who got into med school with a MCAT score and undergraduate GPA that doesn't measure up to a certain level.

Originally posted by Ernham
Got a problem with that, muh homey vanilla ice?

Obviously our friend Ernham has as much of a problem with white people listening to hip-hop as he does black people going to medical school.

And about you having "balls," you wouldn't dare say the **** you say to anyone's face on the forum, that's for sure. Also, a person who hasn't played MTG for 6-7 years like you claim doesn't put a magic card pic as his avatar and make some lame ass reference to your non-trade binder in your profile. Please dude, you're some morbidly obese, smelly gamer holed up in his apartment in David Duke Hall at Nazi University. Deutchland uber alles, homey!

I find this a lot of fun, an electronic version of the dozens (oops another reference to black culture, can't do that now can I! I'm White!)

Members don't see this ad :)
We will just pretend neither of us exist, ok snoopymysnizzlyfizzledawg-T?

You completely dismiss everything he has to say because he has a "wigger" screename? Unbe-friggin-lievable.

You'd be right at home at stormfront.

Pretty soon, he'll be blaming it all on the Jews.

Originally posted by vixenell
So much for opening the lines of communication.

I can now officially state that Ernham is racist.

Now, moving on...

I agree completley... maybe he should be thrown in the middle of the Congo with his 'philosophical views and ponderances' about africans, african americans or any other person of color..and see what they do to him..... and yes this is coming from an AFRICAN! :D

"I don't see color.. i see content....." ~ My blind great great aunt...

Originally posted by vixenell
You completely dismiss everything he has to say because he has a "wigger" screename? Unbe-friggin-lievable.

You'd be right at home at stormfront.

Pretty soon, he'll be blaming it all on the Jews.

I dismiss everything he has to say because he is a spineless stone-tosser. He's probably sulking in his bedroom listening to vanilla ice right now, wishing he was black or something. You, too, are soon approaching the same level. The racist/jew/whatever crap is a great one to toss when you've been owned left, right and center, and you have no other recourse. I'm sorry your ridiculously racist gravy train is soon to be derailed. With hope, you can get into a decent med school without it. If not, I hear historically black colleges only require a paper bag test and a heartbeat.

Why did you even start this thread in the first place?

I call you racist because of some specific things that you have said. That has nothing to do with affirmative action. That is not my last resort.

If, however, you, or anyone, actually wants to have an intelligent debate on the issue, then I'm all ears.

Somehow, I'm convinced that you started this thread just to make yourself feel better. That's truly sad. Go study for the MCAT, or who knows, you might end up in your dreaded HBCU.

I, for one, have more important things to do, than toss insults back and forth.

"Why did you even start this thread in the first place?"

I posted this thread to show that AA is merely a pretty box covering a not-so-pretty pile of bull****.

"I call you racist because of some specific things that you have said. That has nothing to do with affirmative action. That is not my last resort."

Technically, You can't even consider someone racist unless you can actually read their minds.

"If, however, you, or anyone, actually wants to have an intelligent debate on the issue, then I'm all ears."

What debate? There is only one side to this issue. No one has even factually refuted my original points.

"Somehow, I'm convinced that you started this thread just to make yourself feel better. That's truly sad. Go study for the MCAT, or who knows, you might end up in your dreaded HBCU."

I've got well over a year to worry about it.

"I, for one, have more important things to do, than toss insults back and forth."

You are the only one tossing ATM.

Hi, newcomer crashing...

Personally, I have a lot of issues with affirmative action. In the end, I think it as a temporary and insufficient fix for a problem that will likely take generations to address. Also, I think that aa is not a good stopping point for dealing with the issue of "levelling the playing field", as it were - we do need to come up with better solutions. However, in the interim, I feel like doing nothing is worse.

One such example of what I think is a "better solution" is a program in New York City, which some of you may have heard of, called Prep for Prep. The point of this program is to take economically underpriveleged minority kids and run them through an academic gauntlet (summer schools and saturday classes during the school year), and then help successful graduates in applying to elite private schools and obtain scholarships for these students that will pay for these private educations.

I think this is an excellent approach - the program exists for minorities, and while being a graduate of the program does make it easier to get in to schools, it also means that you are able to survive an academically rigorous environment. Further, the program provides counselling and support to its students to help them through, and really backs their graduates throughout high school and college, and constantly provides resources. Prep for Prep is also committed to bringing these same individuals back into underprivileged communities, and providing positive, successful role models who can show kids growing up in similar situations how to be successful. The end goal, on a social scale, is to provide communities with leaders and to promote positive social action that can stimulate these communities and the people in them to better themselves, and to equip them with the tools necessary to do so.

If anybody is curious, a book about Prep is about to be published - it's called "Be the Dream".

peece

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
I never understood these "life is unfair, you can't do anything about it, so f*** off" arguments. Is AA unfair? Yes. Can AA be eliminated? Yes. I guess it is a convenient argument to make when you can not justify your arguments or refute others' arguments.

I completely agree with this post. Two points:

1) I don't believe AA levels the playing field properly
2) Even if it did, it screws people over who don't have a racist/prejudiced bone in their body. Why should I be de facto penalized (and potentially not get into medical school) when I've never, ever mistreated a black person?!

Black people in the past have grossly been mistreated by whites. There's no doubt about it. However, AA doesn't help solve the racial divide. Color blindness goes BOTH ways.

Originally posted by dakotaman
I completely agree with this post. Two points:

1) I don't believe AA levels the playing field properly
2) Even if it did, it screws people over who don't have a racist/prejudiced bone in their body. Why should I be de facto penalized (and potentially not get into medical school) when I've never, ever mistreated a black person?!

for point 2:

:laugh: so you're at the bottom of the barrel? or are you using reverse psychology to make the anti-AA look like whiners who can't make the competitive cut? i say you're very effective:clap:

PS
the above comment goes to the OP as well.:D

*blows some dust off the thread*

I believe AA is not only effective but necessary. Thanks to AA I haven't had a single drop of alcohol in ten years. God bless you AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: