I think I made a mistake......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going for an interview at St Louis next week. I emailed and introduced myself to my student host. He emailed me back telling me about himself, he also said he has a LARGE DOG. I can honestly say I hate dogs...not to mention a large one, almost scares me. when i emailed him back i mentioned I've never been around dogs, but that it won't be a big problem. My host seems so nice, he offered me rides to and from airports, etc. and was very welcoming in his email. I seem like I may have been rude ...he might be expecting me to say something like "I love dogs" or something. It was stupid of me to say that in email; I don't know how to make it up. Any suggestions? I am thinking of buying his 2 yr old son a christmas gift to come off nice when we actually meet.

chintu

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by chintu
I seem like I may have been rude ...he might be expecting me to say something like "I love dogs" or something. It was stupid of me to say that in email; I don't know how to make it up. Any suggestions? I am thinking of buying his 2 yr old son a christmas gift to come off nice when we actually meet.

It doesn't seem rude to me. In fact, you probably should have been more upfront. I don't think it would be a big deal for him to keep the dog in a different room while you're there.

A gift is always nice, though.

I have a 2-year-old daughter. If you were to bring a gift I know my kid would be excited and it would warm me up to you pretty quickly. . . unless I were Jewish or Muslim. Then it might be an uncomfortable situation.

As for the dog - destress! Be honest, and then don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've really never ever been around dogs, especially big scary ones... (I'm a guy and not really scared of dogs in general but I've seen some pretty tough dogs that could lay the hurt on just about anyone.)

Don't stare them down by making direct eye contact for extended periods of time.

Don't smile at them, showing your teeth for extended periods of time. Some dogs see any teeth display as "snarling".

Don't tease the dog, poke it with sticks, or otherwise instigate it. My parents big golden retriever gets ticked off when people laugh at him! He is also known to try to bite my friend's crotchs when they tease him with a toy against my advise. :laugh:

I'm sure this dog will be under control though by your host, so you really shouldn't have any worries. You probably won't spend alot of time at his place either.

Originally posted by smc927
I have a 2-year-old daughter. If you were to bring a gift I know my kid would be excited and it would warm me up to you pretty quickly. . . unless I were Jewish or Muslim. Then it might be an uncomfortable situation.

As for the dog - destress! Be honest, and then don't worry about it.

Just make it a holiday gift. Can't go wrong with that.

I don't think you made a mistake -- some people don't like dogs. In fact, that's probably why he told you about it.