I.suck.at.this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey ladies,

I was wondering if the men get the same amount of razing?

They get the same except I have this one attending who calls me "Girly Girl".

Members don't see this ad.

They get the same except I have this one attending who calls me "Girly Girl".

Yep, the aggravating attending I've been working with this week has been dishing it out to the male residents just as much. And like njbmd I've gotten the additional "shortcakes" and "woman". Look, that part doesn't phase me much, but I do notice it and chuckle inside.... And in his true bipolar nature yesterday the first thing he said was "good notes, LovelyRita". And in following suit with Kim Cox et al, it wasn't believable or else he was trying to majorly compensate. What an emotional rollercoaster. :rolleyes: But at least yesterday was better, in that I worked with the attending who knows that he's good enough a surgeon to not have to dish out insults to make himself look better.

I get the "for a girl" addendum. Oh, that was decent work...for a girl. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ladies,

I was wondering if the men get the same amount of razing?

i've noticed lots of attending give you grief in a different manner.

they play the "hey son/dude/fella" routine with the guys.
while they have a different manner with the women.

sometimes they look at me like an alien when i don't know the approriate sports reference. but i savor my differences and don't try and hide them. i may be an alien, but aliens are interesting too. and i can hang with the boys when it comes to real stuff. work. grit. hours. so i do get a litte hazing and grief now and again, and i do think the tone is different than what the guys get. not nicer, necessarily. but different.

and i sometimes i give them the "well, ya know, i'm a girl and all" thing just to be funny. cause if you get the job done and the attendings and patients are happy, they don't care how many Xs or Ys you have.

TigerLil - Do you work at MUO?

I get the "for a girl" addendum. Oh, that was decent work...for a girl. :rolleyes:

If this was said to an employee in a banking firm, all hell would break loose.

Why do many surgeons (especially male surgeons) "forget" their M.D. and professionalism at the door once they enter the O.R.?:rolleyes:

From my limited experiance in surgery, I have notied that....

.....the smarter and more skilled surgeons, are in general, more professional, friendly, and "down to earth". I think this is because they are more confident in their knowledge and abilities, and do not need to use ego defence mechanisms to reassure themselfs.

When I told my "lay-men" friends about the cursing, unprofessionalism, and childishness that I encountered during my surgical rotations (sorry, mostly in general surgery)...they did not beleive that there are DOCTORS (M.D.s) who behave in such an UNRESPECTFUL way.

Yes, I love surgery, but hate the "surgical unprofessional sub-culture" that is going on. It is behavior that is unbecoming of an M.D.

Sorry for the rant. Just my 2 cents.

If this was said to an employee in a banking firm, all hell would break loose.

Why do many surgeons (especially male surgeons) "forget" their M.D. and professionalism at the door once they enter the O.R.?:rolleyes:

From my limited experiance in surgery, I have notied that....

.....the smarter and more skilled surgeons, are in general, more professional, friendly, and "down to earth". I think this is because they are more confident in their knowledge and abilities, and do not need to use ego defence mechanisms to reassure themselfs.

When I told my "lay-men" friends about the cursing, unprofessionalism, and childishness that I encountered during my surgical rotations (sorry, mostly in general surgery)...they did not beleive that there are DOCTORS (M.D.s) who behave in such an UNRESPECTFUL way.

Yes, I love surgery, but hate the "surgical unprofessional sub-culture" that is going on. It is behavior that is unbecoming of an M.D.

Sorry for the rant. Just my 2 cents.

there is no association with the "smarter" surgeons and the amount of ranting/"unprofessional" behavior...i've seen plenty of geniuses go on tirades...and this is surgery, not banking...thank god we don't have the same rules and workplace subculture

I've noticed what Leukocyte noticed. The less skilled--or at least, less confident--surgeons have shorter tempers and seem to yell a LOT, whereas the ones that are comfortable with their skills are nice and calm even in a bad situation. This is just a couple places though, not the entire country.

scary the responsibility i have.

had a sick patient i was transporting to ICU. i was looking at the leads. wide qrs complex, missing some ventricular beats as we are taking him in the elevator. just 2 mg of epi available, one nurse, one ambu bag, and a defib that i don't know how to use.

Bump.

Four months in, and it still sucks. This month is actually the worst yet. First time rotating at the affiliate hospital where they do everything differently, and it feels like July all over again... except now it's worse because you get the "you're four months in to your internship; you really should know how to do this" line.

I was just starting to get used to the main hospital, and now they pull the rug out from under me. I. hate. this. +pissed+

It may be true that newer or less skilled surgeons seem to yell more. However, I've received plenty a tongue lashing from experienced, skilled surgeons. Some of the best are often control freaks and can't stand to see someone struggle with something. Makes you wonder why they went into academics, but I digress.

there is no association with the "smarter" surgeons and the amount of ranting/"unprofessional" behavior...i've seen plenty of geniuses go on tirades...and this is surgery, not banking...thank god we don't have the same rules and workplace subculture

:thumbup:

Absolutely, geniuses can also be a pain. It's probably cause they are anticipating a lot of problems up ahead and are just exhausted from anticipating the train wrecks. Also, the old school that are just too used to the system allowing them to abuse others are impossible now to change.

Back to the main issue though...

Had a patient go to the SICU from a step down ICU and it was like watching a train running over your car and you running at the car and trying to push it phyisically out of the way before the train comes over. Postoperative malignant small bowel obstructions suck ass.

is anyone still making really stupid mistakes jst do to shear fatigue? i sowed up a guy yesterday without local!!!!! i feel like such an ass.....i don';t do it very much since our prgram is very hands off until seoncd, third year....anybody else feeling like this?

is anyone still making really stupid mistakes jst do to shear fatigue? i sowed up a guy yesterday without local!!!!! i feel like such an ass.....i don';t do it very much since our prgram is very hands off until seoncd, third year....anybody else feeling like this?

Yeah, we don't get to do jack until we're seniors even. It really makes you feel stupid because residents from other places are talking about how they just did some cool case and you're like, "uh, I changed a dressing the other day. Bu-but it was a VAC dressing! I logged it as a procedure for minor credit!" Weak. I think programs that do this don't have enough work to go around, so they save it for the upper-years.

I think programs that do this don't have enough work to go around, so they save it for the upper-years.

Are you saying that your program doesn't have enough work for the number of residents that it's allotted? If that's the case, do you feel under-worked? Do you think that you will be sufficiently trained at the end of 5 years?

I've noticed what Leukocyte noticed. The less skilled--or at least, less confident--surgeons have shorter tempers and seem to yell a LOT, whereas the ones that are comfortable with their skills are nice and calm even in a bad situation.

Perhaps this is because of less room for error. Those surgeons who know they can fix anything may allow for a little more room, whereas those who are close to their personal "oh $$$$" zone will allow for less.

Are you saying that your program doesn't have enough work for the number of residents that it's allotted? If that's the case, do you feel under-worked? Do you think that you will be sufficiently trained at the end of 5 years?

I don't feel under-worked, I feel under-operated, lol. I don't know if I'll be sufficiently trained, I can't see the future. My assumption is that I'll at least be competent or else the ACGME would probably step in, who knows. Some of my fellow residents get more OR time by luck of the draw (like, I was on a really busy service once when most of the attendings were on vacation and I miss out on some operation-heavy services), so they have more experience than me. We'll see, I guess.

Yeah, we don't get to do jack until we're seniors even. It really makes you feel stupid because residents from other places are talking about how they just did some cool case and you're like, "uh, I changed a dressing the other day. Bu-but it was a VAC dressing! I logged it as a procedure for minor credit!" Weak. I think programs that do this don't have enough work to go around, so they save it for the upper-years.

You can get credit for vac dressing changes?!

No. Well, I mean, you can log anything you want for no credit if you want. Some people log when they close simple lacerations in the ER or removal of central lines, neither of which would get you credit. Then again, an initial repair of a non-incarcerated hernia doesn't get credited under anything, either. Point is, I sometimes talk to people here who say they've done "hundreds" of procedures in their first two years and it turns out they were just talking about line placements.

That's why you have to talk about the difference between a "procedure" and a "major case."