I Started Writing For Forbes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been in here as much as I should lately. Thanks to all those who are helping your fellow students, residents, and practitioners so much with their financial questions. Forbes invited me to start writing for them recently. I don't know that this will be a long term thing for me, but I thought it would be worth doing a few columns to see if I could get the WCI message out to more of you. Here are the first seven I wrote. What other subjects do you think I should hit there?

How to Overcome The 5 Barriers to Financial Success for High Income Professionals

Although society in general believes that "doctors and lawyers are rich," I have found that a significant percentage of them are nowhere near rich despite their high incomes and that even those who do become wealthy generally do not do so until mid to late career. While I fully acknowledge that it is far easier to become wealthy on a high income than a low income, there are five significant impediments to building wealth as a high income professional, and each must be overcome for financial success to be realized.​

7 Reasons Why You Should Fund a Health Savings Account

In many respects, Health Savings Accounts are the best investment accounts available to an investor and perhaps the first place to invest each year. HSAs have superior tax protection features compared to any other investing account including their "triple-tax-free" nature, the ability to withdraw the money after 65 for any purpose penalty-free, and the ability to delay withdrawals while saving receipts. If you are using a HDHP, be sure to take advantage of investing in a HSA.​

Doctors Should Not Give Up On Public Service Loan Forgiveness

It is fully understandable for a borrower planning on PSLF to be concerned, but it is not yet time to give up on the program. Instead, learn the rules, keep careful records and start saving up a PSLF side fund, just in case.
How To Become Wealthy On A High Income

It should be relatively easy for a high income professional to build wealth, but it isn't automatic. These five rules of thumb will help any physician, dentist or attorney rapidly turn their high income into wealth.​

Five Reasons to Avoid Focusing on Dividend Stocks

Dividend stocks need not be avoided completely. In fact, I essentially own all of the dividend paying stocks in the world via total market index funds. However, these five arguments demonstrate well why building a portfolio composed entirely of a handful or two of high-yield stocks is a mistake that will be regretted by many investors.
Boost Your Investment Returns By Lowering Your Investment Costs

Lowering your investment related expenses are a sure-fire way to boost your returns, hasten your retirement and allow for a more comfortable retirement without taking on additional risk. Do all you can to reduce your advisory fees, mutual fund expenses, commissions, turnover-related costs and taxes.
Celebrating Ten Years With The Backdoor Roth IRA

Funding a Roth IRA indirectly has helped high income investors meet their financial goals and achieve tax diversification now for a decade. It's time for Congress to simplify the process.​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users