I "see" 1200 patients a month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Candidate2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NP "sees" 1200 patients a month in urgent care :rofl:

Fair compensation for collaborating Physician | Student Doctor Network Communities

"I would keep my FNP gig but I am getting burned out. I work a busy urgent care and see 80-100 patients by myself in a 12 hour day.
I saw around 1200 patients last month."
"Most of it is Covid testing but I still lay eyes one very patient. Still see regular urgent care complaints mixed in with the bunch. Prior to Covid a really busy day in Flu season would be 50ish patients but that was manageable.
Thinking of getting an ER gig right now while I finish my Psych NP Cert. In the ER I would only see around 30-40 patients."

Members don't see this ad.

wot.jpg

Here’s to you, NP…

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like our attending in residency who would park herself near the patient restroom so she could "see" all the patients as they wandered by.

Reactions: 5 users
Like our attending in residency who would park herself near the patient restroom so she could "see" all the patients as they wandered by.
#pph hacking.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an attending that when asked if he had seen a patient we were about to discharge would crane his neck to look into the pt's room and then say, "yep".

Reactions: 2 users
I had an attending that when asked if he had seen a patient we were about to discharge would crane his neck to look into the pt's room and then say, "yep".

I do that all the time for minor stuff. I just assume someone there for suture removal, etc, isn't getting meningitis missed

I once discharged someone back in residency and the attending went to the parking lot and saw them get in their car which he said was good enough.

Reactions: 4 users
I once discharged someone back in residency and the attending went to the parking lot and saw them get in their car which he said was good enough.

For the vast majority of patients this is fine. If they can ambulate to their car, then probably no one is missing a life threatening emergency.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
For the vast majority of patients this is fine. If they can ambulate to their car, then probably no one is missing a life threatening emergency.
Had a patient come in for toe fungus. Asked to be admitted “just until this clear up”. I told him nope GTFO, you’ve been here 12 times this month, always tries to get admitted for things like “tired all the time” and “ankle pain x1 year.”

Well he walked out to his car, had I gigantic intra-parynchemal bleed, seized in the drivers seat, and got brought back to the bay where he was tubed but eventually herniated his brain waiting for an ICU bed.

It was some really bad toe fungus.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
So he was perfectly lucid with no neurological deficits in the ED while bleeding and herniating lol? Something is off there..

Members don't see this ad :)
So he was perfectly lucid with no neurological deficits in the ED while bleeding and herniating lol? Something is off there..
How many pts you ever seen whose elevator only went up to the third floor? You know, those that could suffer a hyperkalemic arrest from skipping HD, and walk out of the hospital at their normal baseline? Or those that could fall asleep on the sidewalk in Vegas or Houston, get baked by the sun to a core temp of 107, and, again, walk out of the hospital neuro intact, at their baseline? Or, the whackadoodies with the beyond bizarre affect?

It's got to be over 15 years ago, now, but someone posted on this forum about a weird pt they saw, whom the poster though was learning disabled, who was there with Mom and Dad, and Dad said "I see why you might think that, but, no, she's not". That was in "Things I Learn From My Patients", and, IIRC, it was near to a post by @mikecwru , about how grown men shouldn't be eating quarters.

Ah, found it.

Huh, 18 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
NP "sees" 1200 patients a month in urgent care :rofl:

Fair compensation for collaborating Physician | Student Doctor Network Communities

"I would keep my FNP gig but I am getting burned out. I work a busy urgent care and see 80-100 patients by myself in a 12 hour day.
I saw around 1200 patients last month."
"Most of it is Covid testing but I still lay eyes one very patient. Still see regular urgent care complaints mixed in with the bunch. Prior to Covid a really busy day in Flu season would be 50ish patients but that was manageable.
Thinking of getting an ER gig right now while I finish my Psych NP Cert. In the ER I would only see around 30-40 patients."
Hah. I’m busy and I see 450-550 a month. What a crock

How many pts you ever seen whose elevator only went up to the third floor? You know, those that could suffer a hyperkalemic arrest from skipping HD, and walk out of the hospital at their normal baseline? Or those that could fall asleep on the sidewalk in Vegas or Houston, get baked by the sun to a core temp of 107, and, again, walk out of the hospital neuro intact, at their baseline? Or, the whackadoodies with the beyond bizarre affect?

It's got to be over 15 years ago, now, but someone posted on this forum about a weird pt they saw, whom the poster though was learning disabled, who was there with Mom and Dad, and Dad said "I see why you might think that, but, no, she's not". That was in "Things I Learn From My Patients", and, IIRC, it was near to a post by @mikecwru , about how grown men shouldn't be eating quarters.

Ah, found it.

Huh, 18 years ago.
Damn. Good memory. That post predates my time on SDN by almost a decade, lol :lol:.

We’re talking about one of the patients fox likes to call “failure to adult.”

These are the people who on a good day don’t have any Neuro deficits but have the life decision making capacity of a re-warmed stouffers meal.

Unfortunately these people will eventually have real emergencies.

80-100 patients per shift is a ton of charts to do even if just Covid testing. That’s actually pretty amazing.

Amazing that the NP can do that.

Amazing how much money the urgent care owner is making off of the NP

80-100 patients per shift is a ton of charts to do even if just Covid testing. That’s actually pretty amazing.

Oh c’mon no it’s not. I can dot phrase a Covid test note and bust out 30 in an hour easy if you line them up for me.

Oh c’mon no it’s not. I can dot phrase a Covid test note and bust out 30 in an hour easy if you line them up for me.
Back when I did transcription, I found it extremely comical how a form note would evolve over the course of a day…week…month…. To where you could see the provider’s brain was on autopilot due to overstimulation with the more of the same. Not an entirely encouraging experience, but definitely humanizing.

They aren't our kind of charts. They probably have two lines

42 yo man here for first vaccine shot
56 yo woman here for second vaccine shot, no effects from first.

I mean ... it's easy. And it's not real medicine.

Ah, found it.

Huh, 18 years ago.
epic thread. nice.