I really need some advice.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluealiendoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely horrible at these Step exams. I don't feel anxious while taking them, not sweating, tachy or anything like that. I took about 3 weeks total for studying for Step 3. At first it was rather sporadic reading Master the Boards and doing questions with UW. However, I spent 8 days straight busting out random 48q blocks with UW. I averaged 58% in the end. I actually felt pretty decent going into the exam. I walked out thinking I did quite well. I finished all the blocks in time and was always able to eliminate my choices down to 2 on questions I absolutely didn't know. My cases were rough but got through them with only 2 total disasters. The Bam! Fail. I just don't get it. Needless to say I'm devastated. I have to go through the preparation all over again and don't know what to use. I fear UW will be repetitive but really haven't heard to many good reviews on Kaplan (for Step 3 at least). More disappointing, I'm in family medicine so I've had consistent exposure with peds, OB, cardio etc. Any advice out there? Need an attack plan. Help please. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm absolutely horrible at these Step exams. I don't feel anxious while taking them, not sweating, tachy or anything like that. I took about 3 weeks total for studying for Step 3. At first it was rather sporadic reading Master the Boards and doing questions with UW. However, I spent 8 days straight busting out random 48q blocks with UW. I averaged 58% in the end. I actually felt pretty decent going into the exam. I walked out thinking I did quite well. I finished all the blocks in time and was always able to eliminate my choices down to 2 on questions I absolutely didn't know. My cases were rough but got through them with only 2 total disasters. The Bam! Fail. I just don't get it. Needless to say I'm devastated. I have to go through the preparation all over again and don't know what to use. I fear UW will be repetitive but really haven't heard to many good reviews on Kaplan (for Step 3 at least). More disappointing, I'm in family medicine so I've had consistent exposure with peds, OB, cardio etc. Any advice out there? Need an attack plan. Help please. Thank you.
You probably aren't getting much advice because:
1. This board is slower than the other step-related boards.
2. Some of the people who view this thread are possibly people who have never taken Step III, but are looking ahead towards taking it.
3. There's only so much information in your thread to really work off of.

Addressing the second point, I haven't taken the Step III yet, nor have I really started any studying for it yet. I'm probably not the best person to be giving you advice, but I'll at least offer you some general advice that should hopefully work out to your advantage.

Addressing the third point, I think you need to assess where you feel you may have gone wrong in order to create a more focused plan to try again. There are lots of ways to fail an exam, and it's not all that helpful to go "I don't know what I did wrong. I felt like I did everything right, but failed." Maybe three weeks of sporadic reading MTB was not good enough. Maybe you should study to the point where you are a little nervous about the outcome of the exam. Maybe you should spend more than 8 days on UWorld, and in particular understand why you were missing the questions you were. Maybe you need to focus more on making the CCS more comfortable than "rough, with only 2 disasters" (what to study for on those, I'm uncertain at the moment -- Dr. Red's seems to be popular, as is UWorld's CCS practices).

I think you'll be surprised with how much you don't remember when you do UWorld again. By all means you should try it again.

And when you eventually do take the exam again, you should try to have an idea of where about you might land. Aim well above the just passing. I notice that people tend to fall just short of their goals. So if the goal is just passing, the result is just failing. Aim higher for like 10 points above the average. You might not get it, but you'll be more likely to do the bare minimum of passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend doing the PREMIER REVIEW HOME STUDY KIT for Step 3
Step 3 is different than Step 2 in that you have to know what to do beyond the initial management of a disease, which can be tough if it's in specialties that you're not regularly engaged in on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Does Step 3 impact on Fellowship chances(especially in the competitive field)?

Good question! I was wondering the same thing, although I thought that Step 3 was just a means to obtaining a medical license. and program directors weren't particularily interested in Step 3 scores. Does anyone have an answer or opinion regarding this issue?

I think for the Step 3, they just wanted to make sure you passed it, but it probably looks great if you did well in it, since it's probably the most applicable test that demonstrates to ability to independently practice medicine without supervision.

But probably the specialty-specific in-service scores were more closely looked at, IMO, as well as your research experience and LOR's.

Last edited:
One thing that was key to me passing was the cases on the 2nd day. Without doing well on that part, I could have easily failed. I used USMLE world and went through all the cases several time in First Aid. I knew the cases pretty well before coming into the exam and had some of the exact cases I reviewed.

I think this is the one part of the test that you can know what to expect and have some control over before coming into the exam.

Good luck!!!

cmon', give us a lil more feedback...
what were the mcqs' like...your prep...ur thoughts on the exam....when did you take it...
is it necessary to do uw and fa...or can one do well with just uw:scared:
:thumbup:

cmon', give us a lil more feedback...
what were the mcqs' like...your prep...ur thoughts on the exam....when did you take it...
is it necessary to do uw and fa...or can one do well with just uw:scared:
:thumbup:

Ok. Well...From what I found there is, unfortunately, no "perfect" book for Step3, unlike Step's 1 and 2. I ended up using the Kaplan Medical USMLE Master the Boards book. I remember that there are a couple of minor errors, but otherwise found it be the best book between Crush and First Aid for my style of learning. However, I know others who used either Crush and/or First Aid and they did just fine the on the test. I think it is best just to pick one of those 3 books, stick to it, know the information very well and do a lot of questions from some type of qBank.

I'm sure you've heard this, but there is such a broad range of information that is tested that it is impossible to be fully "prepared" like you might be in Step's 1 and 2. They can ask just about anything. With the said, my advice is to pick one of those books and make sure you know the basic diseases very well and focus on treatment. If you know the basics diseases in those books well, you should, at a minimum, know enough to pass, which was my only goal. Also, as I said in the other post, the one part of the test you can be sure of the types of questions are the cases. I made sure I knew the USMLE World cases very well and went through the First Aid cases (just the back of the book, not the entire book) several times. It was the one part of the test where I could say, "Yes, I actually studied for this!" I'm not sure I can say that for a lot of the other questions. I would also highly advise going through as many questions as you can. I used USMLE World and can't comment on the other resources.

For myself, it was a hard test and I thought I failed it walking out the first day. The second day was better, but I was still fully ready to see I failed. I did just fine, though. I'm in psychiatry, though, and I'm sure my experience would be different. My wife is in medicine and for her it wasn't that difficult at all.