I passed the NAPLEX the 2nd time 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have been active on this site for 10 years it says, how many drugs have been added since you took the test? I ask because they do not remove the old drugs but just keep adding. If you were tested on HIV medication regimens as 1/6 of the exam you are saying that you would pass? Are you also saying that if you didn't that you should turn in your license? I would be interested in seeing what your score would be today if you retested. I have had multiple preceptors tell me they are not sure they could pass the test with all of the new drugs that have been discovered. Shame on you for being anything less than helpful.....isn't that what we are striving for in this profession....to help people?

Two years ago as part of the testing group for NABP, I literally took the NAPLEX without any preparation except for two hours reviewing Ansels Pharmaceutical Calculations for aliquots and mOsm since I never hand calculated in practice.

Out of active practice for 8 years, I scored 131 on the thing , only 10 points less than my tryhard score in 2004 EVEN with the increase in therapeutic agents.

I take my CE seriously, but I do think that the NAPLEX is still bare minimum competency. Without the math review , I still would have passed handily as did 96% of the calibration group.

Please do not group me with the people who cheated their way through. And yes, competence should pass you, not prayer. Leave prayer to th e realm of issues beyond your control, passing NAPLEX is entirely within your control.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I get the runs before an exam, its always been that way. I get super nervous and cant eat anything the day before or else I would be sitting on the toilet for hours the morning of the exam. This happened all 3 years before every exam during pharm school

So you can guess what happened before the Naplex. Didn't eat anything the day before besides a poptart and an apple in anticipation. Got to the testing center and blew up the bathroom 3 times before the exam (no idea where it came from). Good thing I showed up an hour early. I felt like I had to pee the entire 6 hours of the exam, super frustrating and distracting. Had to take an unscheduled break to go to the bathroom. The last 2 hours of the exam was a blur. I couldn't remember for the life of me the equation for creatinine clearance even though I've done it a hundred times. Couldn't remember much of anything to be honest. Had to rush through the last 50 questions with only 40 minutes left. I finished with 15 seconds on the clock. I ended up getting a 73.

Some people are just bad at taking tests. It doesn't mean you are incompetent

I get the runs before an exam, its always been that way. I get super nervous and cant eat anything the day before or else I would be sitting on the toilet for hours the morning of the exam. This happened all 3 years before every exam during pharm school

So you can guess what happened before the Naplex. Didn't eat anything the day before besides a poptart and an apple in anticipation. Got to the testing center and blew up the bathroom 3 times before the exam (no idea where it came from). Good thing I showed up an hour early. I felt like I had to pee the entire 6 hours of the exam, super frustrating and distracting. Had to take an unscheduled break to go to the bathroom. The last 2 hours of the exam was a blur. I couldn't remember for the life of me the equation for creatinine clearance even though I've done it a hundred times. Couldn't remember much of anything to be honest. Had to rush through the last 50 questions with only 40 minutes left. I finished with 15 seconds on the clock. I ended up getting a 73.

Some people are just bad at taking tests. It doesn't mean you are incompetent

I am one of those people. I ended up going to the ER after one of my exams in pharmacy school because I had anxiety so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack, they thought it might be as well so I had to have it ruled out. I have been on anxiety mediation ever since. I am a bad test taker, but in the pharmacy during rotations I have found duplicate therapies and causes for adverse reactions that ALL of the pharmacists working there missed. I know that there is the option to get testing accommodations on the NAPLEX but the requirements make it very difficult to pull together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two years ago as part of the testing group for NABP, I literally took the NAPLEX without any preparation except for two hours reviewing Ansels Pharmaceutical Calculations for aliquots and mOsm since I never hand calculated in practice.

Out of active practice for 8 years, I scored 131 on the thing , only 10 points less than my tryhard score in 2004 EVEN with the increase in therapeutic agents.

I take my CE seriously, but I do think that the NAPLEX is still bare minimum competency. Without the math review , I still would have passed handily as did 96% of the calibration group.

Please do not group me with the people who cheated their way through. And yes, competence should pass you, not prayer. Leave prayer to th e realm of issues beyond your control, passing NAPLEX is entirely within your control.

Wow that was helpful. I hope you were more helpful for your patients when they came to your pharmacy. Oh, and lets be honest here, year of working in the profession is a LOT of preparation for this exam. I am sure that you think that my father passing on graduation night and his father having a stroke a few weeks later has no bearing on how well I performed on the NAPLEX. Happy to hear you are out of practice.

Last edited:
Wow that was helpful. I hope you were more helpful for your patients when they came to your pharmacy. Oh, and lets be honest here, year of working in the profession is a LOT of preparation for this exam. I am sure that you think that my father passing on graduation night and his father having a stroke a few weeks later has no bearing on how well I performed on the NAPLEX. Happy to hear you are out of practice.

Actually, if you did read my other posts at the time, that's why I did well on the exam, I had somewhere between 4000 and 6000 hours of internship (the Board stop counting after 4000) and four years of tech work going into NAPLEX literally the first day possible for my ATT (the required 21 days from graduation). Work really helps much better than class for the preparation for most concepts on the exam, and I had worked much more than I went to class during that time period (I was benefits eligible all three years, and FT my last two).

As for being out of practice, it is not that I am out of health care, I just do not see patients as I've promoted out of active care with my practice choice and current job. I still teach, I still keep up, and I'm still consulted on in my area of practice (nuclear BCNP) every so often for NRC. I just have not worked either outpatient or inpatient which are more "direct" patient care activities. But if someone out of active practice can use their decaying memory to pass, someone at the end of the training cycle should be at their prime to pass. That is what worries me about a failure right out after school. The preparation is usually no better than at that period, so failing at that point bodes ill for the future when it is expected that we all regress.

I'm sorry to hear that, those sort of circumstances are out of your control, and those are things you pray for. For anyone who is human, it has to affect their performance around the time. On the same note though, you are allowed to defer taking the exam until you have had time to recover, so activating your ATT prematurely was not in your best interest. You are even allowed to defer for contingent reasons lke that, Prometric even waives the rescheduling fee every so often for those circumstances as they happen. Perhaps when there is enough time distant, circumstances will not override the performance as much.

Actually, if you did read my other posts at the time, that's why I did well on the exam, I had somewhere between 4000 and 6000 hours of internship (the Board stop counting after 4000) and four years of tech work going into NAPLEX literally the first day possible for my ATT (the required 21 days from graduation). Work really helps much better than class for the preparation for most concepts on the exam, and I had worked much more than I went to class during that time period (I was benefits eligible all three years, and FT my last two).

As for being out of practice, it is not that I am out of health care, I just do not see patients as I've promoted out of active care with my practice choice and current job. I still teach, I still keep up, and I'm still consulted on in my area of practice (nuclear BCNP) every so often for NRC. I just have not worked either outpatient or inpatient which are more "direct" patient care activities. But if someone out of active practice can use their decaying memory to pass, someone at the end of the training cycle should be at their prime to pass. That is what worries me about a failure right out after school. The preparation is usually no better than at that period, so failing at that point bodes ill for the future when it is expected that we all regress.

I'm sorry to hear that, those sort of circumstances are out of your control, and those are things you pray for. For anyone who is human, it has to affect their performance around the time. On the same note though, you are allowed to defer taking the exam until you have had time to recover, so activating your ATT prematurely was not in your best interest. You are even allowed to defer for contingent reasons lke that, Prometric even waives the rescheduling fee every so often for those circumstances as they happen. Perhaps when there is enough time distant, circumstances will not override the performance as much.

I decided to go back to school to be a pharmacist because, among other reason (none of which were money), you had to learn for the rest of your life and I really like that. I hope that the expectation is not that we regress after finishing school (that is very sad to think about). As for the rescheduling, I thought, minimum competency.....I can do this even with limited review and under a lot of stress... (not exactly thinking clearly while grieving) but unfortunately I was wrong. I am still grieving but I review material every day and will do so until I can sit again. I did pray, everyone was praying for me, but it was one thing too many apparently. I ask that you please take care when saying that people who do not pass should not practice as there may be extenuating circumstances that others are not comfortable sharing. Being a pharmacist means everything to me and your posts have made me second guess myself and that is not something I need added to my plate right now. I was just looking for study tip suggestions and ended up questioning if I am good enough to do what I love......

I'm pretty sure failing a standardized exam doesn't mean you're not going to be a great pharmacist to protect our patients. Please don't degrade other pharmacy colleagues like that. If they want to pray to do well, let them. Have a great weekend.

I'm pretty sure failing a standardized exam doesn't mean you're not going to be a great pharmacist to protect our patients. Please don't degrade other pharmacy colleagues like that. If they want to pray to do well, let them. Have a great weekend.

Thank you for that....I really needed to "hear" it.

You have been active on this site for 10 years it says, how many drugs have been added since you took the test? I ask because they do not remove the old drugs but just keep adding. If you were tested on HIV medication regimens as 1/6 of the exam you are saying that you would pass? Are you also saying that if you didn't that you should turn in your license? I would be interested in seeing what your score would be today if you retested. I have had multiple preceptors tell me they are not sure they could pass the test with all of the new drugs that have been discovered. Shame on you for being anything less than helpful.....isn't that what we are striving for in this profession....to help people?

Maybe we should all have to retest every 5 years to keep everyone sharp.

Well said!

That’s very impressive.

As a grad intern I had a very seasoned retail pharmacist tell me something along the lines of “You’ll never know more pharmacy than you know right now.” Then a couple years ago I partially transitioned into hospital. I recall specific NAPLEX questions I guessed at then that I know now just from seeing a different side of the profession.

That said, if I was going to take the NAPLEX again (and if passing actually mattered) I would definitely study again.:)

Reactions: 1 user
That’s very impressive.

As a grad intern I had a very seasoned retail pharmacist tell me something along the lines of “You’ll never know more pharmacy than you know right now.” Then a couple years ago I partially transitioned into hospital. I recall specific NAPLEX questions I guessed at then that I know now just from seeing a different side of the profession.

That said, if I was going to take the NAPLEX again (and if passing actually mattered) I would definitely study again.:)

I teach, so that's the real cheat. I overhear students grumbling about missing trick questions and such enough that I have a biased idea of what's relevant. I also deal with setting the DWE exams for pharmaceutics/pharmcokinetics and both of the pharmacologies (we separate SME from biotech) even though I don't teach or practice the subjects, so I passively keep up that way based on just the existence of the questions involved (last year's DWE takehome portion for the SME pharmacology grad students involved a question that basically asked the candidate to differentiate all the antipsychotics and discuss the different theories of psychoactive agents). The answer was really complicated, because of the recent matters with CATIE and the renewed questioning of atypical vs typical prescribing. This year's question was on the controversy regarding cholinergic and adrenergic receptor separation due to the recent work in phospholipid regulation understanding. It's those sorts of survey questions that keep me up even more than CE.

But for someone like you, I honestly think you and most on this board that actually have some reflection in practice could pass cold turkey because it's more from a working perspective. If you had a concentrated week of study if you are in practice, you should be able to proficiently pass the exam (>90 and probably >100). I think we forget how low the bar is set for passing on the scale scores and the questions are still fairly basic in the sense that if you recognize the drugs topically, you should be able to get it right. Candidates attempting for the first time really don't have a sense of scope for what an actually hard exam is, because pharmacy school exams for us were quite a bit more difficult than the boards in terms of getting trivia questions right (which loop diuretic has no B-lactam, why is methyldopa used in pregnant women). Still not terribly difficult to pass (but a pretty high work A).

But for those of us who went further, I still have PTSD nightmares involving studying for the DWE and the oral prelims. I can word for word write down each question from my DWE almost 12 years later as I still think about the implications of some of them because the examiners used them as an introduction to what does it mean to work hard at something.

But for someone like you, I honestly think you and most on this board that actually have some reflection in practice could pass cold turkey because it's more from a working perspective. If you had a concentrated week of study if you are in practice, you should be able to proficiently pass the exam (>90 and probably >100). I think we forget how low the bar is set for passing on the scale scores and the questions are still fairly basic in the sense that if you recognize the drugs topically, you should be able to get it right. Candidates attempting for the first time really don't have a sense of scope for what an actually hard exam is, because pharmacy school exams for us were quite a bit more difficult than the boards in terms of getting trivia questions right (which loop diuretic has no B-lactam, why is methyldopa used in pregnant women). Still not terribly difficult to pass (but a pretty high work A).

This is probably one of the biggest underlying reasons why some students will often do very well on their school exams and strangely struggle on a "minimum competency" exam. Simply put, mindlessly memorizing random, isolated, and useless facts for 4 consecutive years will have you in a state of impasse when it comes time to study for a "minimum competency" exam.

In other words, they can't flip the switch right away and will often struggle in adapting to a different type of exam where the approach to studying will be completely different to how they studied in school. The words "minimum competency" is but a foreign language to these students because they can't discern and differentiate the bare basic facts (e.g. "Should I memorize the half-life for these drugs as well? I mean, there's no way they'll ask me a simple question like it's MoA or common side effects.").

Reactions: 1 user
This is probably one of the biggest underlying reasons why some students will often do very well on their school exams and strangely struggle on a "minimum competency" exam. Simply put, mindlessly memorizing random, isolated, and useless facts for 4 consecutive years will have you in a state of impasse when it comes time to study for a "minimum competency" exam.

In other words, they can't flip the switch right away and will often struggle in adapting to a different type of exam where the approach to studying will be completely different to how they studied in school. The words "minimum competency" is but a foreign language to these students because they can't discern and differentiate the bare basic facts (e.g. "Should I memorize the half-life for these drugs as well? I mean, there's no way they'll ask me a simple question like it's MoA or common side effects.").

That's a fair point with the modern NCLB-style curriculum that teaches this idealistic (fictional) practice of pharmacy and not how to be a pharmacist. I really impress upon my classes the unwritten requirement to get internship experience on the ground level to understand what you really have to know. If you cannot autodidact yourself, that is an unwritten condition for failure on any more practical board (the NAPLEX though falls far short of what I would consider a practice exam, but it is much closer than the ivory tower exams). That's how I passed mine then and used to pass recently, those hours under stress rather than anything I picked up in class (I would go so far as to say that pharmacy school beyond a couple of classes was worthless in my case).

That inability to meet the bar is still a failure, and though they are multiple parties that are at fault at differing levels, it is a minimum competency bar to practice. We can argue the point that there are people who could practice pharmacy relatively competently and fail the exam consistently, but the cost of that is higher than I think society would want to bear. At some level, there is no social pass and while I personally argue that the bar is too low, I feel that there are groups out there that want to remove this low bar (like they are doing with experiential hours and preceptor training), and that would be a disservice to the public more than the profession.