I officially hate Physics

hopefuloptom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just need to vent. I started with Physics about a month ago, I thought I was getting the hang of it but apparently, according to the problems I solved, I am getting nowhere.:mad: This pisses me off so much! When I read the chapter, I understand what's happening (although not all the time :D) but when I get to doing the problems its like I didn't read anything at all!

Right now I'm studying Kaplan Physics and just recently began to look at the NOVA book...I don't think it helps...I was wondering Chad's videos for Physics? :confused:

I'm scared I won't tackle this beast! My exam is in a month!

What have you guys done to study for physics?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm

This man is incredible... check it out! GL!

Okay, I just need to vent. I started with Physics about a month ago, I thought I was getting the hang of it but apparently, according to the problems I solved, I am getting nowhere.:mad: This pisses me off so much! When I read the chapter, I understand what's happening (although not all the time :D) but when I get to doing the problems its like I didn't read anything at all!

Right now I'm studying Kaplan Physics and just recently began to look at the NOVA book...I don't think it helps...I was wondering Chad's videos for Physics? :confused:

Awesome! Thanks for that link! Never thought that I would say this, but I can't wait to start learning Physics already! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey...do you mind going in detail perhaps? Like can you give some examples?

I might be the same!

Hello,

I took the oat like 2 weeks ago and score a 380 on physics. I suggest you buy a college physics text book and read it like a few times and try to understand it. I read it like 4 or 5 times?. Also, Check out a book SAT II: Physics at your local library. Grind it day and night. Remember to relax and try to understand/ENJOY the concepts. Good Luck.

Physics can be a monster to tackle, but I thought that the OAT asked some very straightforward questions that hardly required any calculations and formula memorization (and I ended up memorizing a ton of kinematics, gravitation, and spring formulas and constants needlessly). It seems to focus a lot on force (F=ma), conceptual problems, a couple of magnetism and circuit problems, some optics (like reflection, Snell's law, and lenses), and I think I remember a vector problem or two. Don't go too crazy memorizing constants, but truly understand the basics. For example, on the concept of momentum, I recall a basic question that tested the knowledge of conservation of momentum, p initial = p final. Lots of the questions are testing the fundamental rules. At least, that was my experience, and I scored a 360 on the physics section.

If you took physics in school already, definitely go back to your notes. Your notes should provide you with good examples and explanations for the physics concepts in a way that you will comprehend them.

Hello,

I took the oat like 2 weeks ago and score a 380 on physics. I suggest you buy a college physics text book and read it like a few times and try to understand it. I read it like 4 or 5 times?. Also, Check out a book SAT II: Physics at your local library. Grind it day and night. Remember to relax and try to understand/ENJOY the concepts. Good Luck.

you read a physics textbook 4 or 5 times? Me= in awe. Great work and love the effort!!

Kaplan physics is EXTREMELY difficult. The destroyer is a great tool- I opt for the destroyer over kaplan.. chad's video's are great and/or the SAT II books-

Everyone seems to say Kaplan physics is over the top difficult, I agree- so don't let kaplan discourage you!

I'm also taking kaplan. Their physics section out of the review book seems daunting but very insightful. There are "holes" in the material. For example, I thought that kirchoff's laws and dc circuits are not explained well enough. Thermodynamics had some things missing too.

When I took the diagnostics the first time, my baseline score for physics was around 260, which was the lowest of all. Now its definitely better. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged! Make a note of all the questions/concepts that caught you off guard and practice solving 10 others like it.

Hey Guys!

We take student feedback very seriously! If you guys wouldn't mind PMing me specifically where you might think we have "hole's" or why you think the Kaplan Physics is too hard we would really appreciate it!

We get VERY positive feedback on our Physics approach. Many people think that some questions were a little bit more difficult than questions they saw on test day however, people tell me that this is fantastic because they were VERY confident on test day.

Let me know if I can help out at all!

Patrick

Thanks for the support guys. I will definitely check out the SAT II physics book (is there a certain publisher or something?)...I took the advice at looking at Barron's AP Biology and that's doing wonders...

For those that have received 350 and above on physics in the OAT...I applaud you, I hope I can do that when its my turn.

Hey Guys!

We take student feedback very seriously! If you guys wouldn't mind PMing me specifically where you might think we have "hole's" or why you think the Kaplan Physics is too hard we would really appreciate it!

We get VERY positive feedback on our Physics approach. Many people think that some questions were a little bit more difficult than questions they saw on test day however, people tell me that this is fantastic because they were VERY confident on test day.

Let me know if I can help out at all!

Patrick

The Kaplan course is useless and way too expensive to be taken seriously. As an Elite Kaplan Instructor, I am sure you can change it for the better.

Good luck.

Please disregard everything socal says. As the forum troll he feels impressed to stick his head into every discussion and give his opinion that lacks any weight.

I used Chad's Videos...he was golden.

Remember the KISS rule. Keep It Simple Stupid

The OAT is a beast and you will never be able to learn everything. For physics especially you're going to blown away with how much you memorized and how little you needed to use.

Keep in mind that you don't have a calculator so you aren't going to be doing full-blown calculations, but really simple ones that you can do in your head. That means that the test will be heavily conceptual...if you didn't know.

Memorize formulas, but remember that a lot are analogous such as rotational motion kinematic equations and translational motion are the exact same equations, just different symbols.

Please disregard everything socal says. As the forum troll he feels impressed to stick his head into every discussion and give his opinion that lacks any weight.

The OAT is a beast and you will never be able to learn everything. For physics especially you're going to blown away with how much you memorized and how little you needed to use.

Keep in mind that you don't have a calculator so you aren't going to be doing full-blown calculations, but really simple ones that you can do in your head. That means that the test will be heavily conceptual...if you didn't know.

Memorize formulas, but remember that a lot are analogous such as rotational motion kinematic equations and translational motion are the exact same equations, just different symbols.

Point proven.

Students considering Optometry school would rather consider amateur educational videos than a program mandated by Kaplan themselves.

Please, get to work Kaplan!

No worries, the troll is ignored. Trolls should stay under the bridge where they belong and not participate in adult conversations.

I have witnessed Kaplan staff go above and beyond to clarify difficult topics. The online materials will challenge you and give you the practice you need. My classmates who put in hard work with the Kaplan program achieve high scores and get into schools like SCCO and berkeley. You definitely get what you put in and more.

thecgrblue- you are absolutely right about the concept aspect of the OAT's. They test your ability to solve, rather than memorize. The exam writers will purposely put in time-consuming problems to trap you. It really helps to mark, guess and move on with these.

Point proven.

Students considering Optometry school would rather consider amateur educational videos than a program mandated by Kaplan themselves.

Please, get to work Kaplan!

maybe you should "keep it simple stupid" with your 2.8 GPA. :thumbup:

Hello,

Hey which publisher did you use?? Unfortunately, we don't have an SAT Physics book at our local library and I've been looking online for one but there are several publishers (i.e. Kaplan, Princeton Review, Sparknotes). I'd rather purchase one anyway so I can use it as I please and how I please :D

Hey which publisher did you use?? Unfortunately, we don't have an SAT Physics book at our local library and I've been looking online for one but there are several publishers (i.e. Kaplan, Princeton Review, Sparknotes). I'd rather purchase one anyway so I can use it as I please and how I please :D

I used the Kaplan SAT II: Physics. MCAT physics. I will chew on physics problems:)