This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychedUp101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I understand that there are very few (if any) I/O guys on this board, but I have some questions concerning the job:

1) Is it possible to work in industry as a consultant and maintain a position as a professor at my local university? I have always been interested in having a role in academia as well as working somewhere outside of academia as well.

2) What is work/life balance like in this field? In other words, will I be required to work during my "days off" and what not.

3) And finally, I hate to be that guy, but what is the typical starting salary? I know this varies based on location, but I looked up the average salary in my location and it said somewhere around 110K which didn't sound right at all (Sounds more like a salary after 10 years of experience or so). Then I kept snooping around and I cam across a more accurate figure: 85K. Does this sound about right?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is for those interested in healthcare-related fields, so the "Psychology" subforum here is occupied by students and practitioners in mental health fields (mostly clinical psychology).

You're probably better off going here with your questions: Psychology

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your first question (knowing several i/o folks who do this), yes but the university may dictate the hours per week you can work as a consultant. Mine caps this at 10. This is likely to vary depending on the university.