I need your advice~!

Skyline192

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacists in New York City, I'd really love your advice, because you know what it's like in New York schools and BOEd! Any Pharmacists' advice is appreciated as well.

Alright, I'm a junior in high school (New York City) at the moment, and I'm doing really bad in all my classes, meaning Cs, to Fs. I procrastinate A LOT, and usually I won't do the assignments which is why I'm failing. I get most of the material though, it's the work for me, I just can't focus myself into doing the work. A lot of my teachers tell me I'm a very bright kid (which is cliche) but I think I'm a bright kid as well if I can put in an effort. I really want to become a pharmacist, I like the science enough, and I think it would be a good job for me.

Here is what my science-math transcript would look like:
9th grade
Math A C-
Living Enviornment C+

10th grade
Earth science F (I passed the NYS Regents Exam though, with a score of 80/100, I just never did any of the work, literally.)
Algebra 2 / Trig B-

11th grade (Current year)
Earth Science (Trimester 1 C+, Trimester 2 B, Trimester 3 Not Known Yet)
Geometry (Trimester 1 C+, Trimester 2 F, Trimester 3 Not Known Yet)

I'm really worried about my future, I'm not considering dropping out just yet, I defiently want to at least graduate high school.

Here are my goals that I can hopefully achieve:

-Graduate High School with a GPA of at least 3.0
-Due well on my SATs, at least 1600+
-After graduating High School, get into Queensboro Community College, take a two year pre-req, do extremely well in the classes I will take (trying to go for Chemistry, Biology, Calculus, Physics, Organic Chemistry, or any other Pre-Pharm class).
-After doing well in my 2 year pre-req classes, hopefully get into a good pharmacy school, my first choice Albany College of Pharmacy.

Here is where I need advice, and help solving my problems:
-Focusing on High School, doing well for the rest of my high school life. I need tips on how to develop good study habits. I get way to distracted with friends, sports, and video games. I am way too laid back for my own good. I know I can do it if I can try, I'm just so unmotivated, I really need help. Everytime I produce work, I usually get As, I just rarely do the work. And my High School is new, I'm in the first graduating class of the school, so they don't offer that many classes, I'm supposed to be in Chemistry but I'm retaking Earth Science because of my lazy ass. My school is pretty small as well, only about 80 students in my grade in total.
-What do most pharmacy colleges look for in the SATs, a minimum score, and what sections I should do well in?
-What steps should I take to prepare myself becoming a Pharmacist? Jobs as a teenager I can try and get into for experience? As a college student?
-Do you believe that I can achieve my goals? Graduating High School after messing up badly? THen going to Queensboro Community College for 2 years or whatever you would recommend for pre-req classes to get into a Pharmacy School, perferably Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences?

Thanks in Advance.

-I really messed up in High School, and I really want to try and change, but it's difficult for me. I'm sure many kids are like me and changed, but I don't know how they did it.

Members don't see this ad.

hey Skyline
It seems to me that you don't take education seriously. If you want to be a pharmacist, you have to be really serious. I'm not saying study, study, study. I also hang out with my friends and play games and such. But I also dedicate to my education. If you want to hang out with your friends and play games and almost everything else. You have to ORGANIZE, stay up late to do your work. Pharmacy schools don't even care about your HS grades/SAT/ACT. They care about your college grades and PCAT. If you want experience, you can shadow a pharmacist (go to local pharmacy and ask if you can shadow there) or do some hospital work. Yes many people have changed from HS to college. All you have to do is make a goal you can do it.

Hope you succeed!

Like almost everything you life, you have to learn to PRIOIRTIZE. Just like the above poster said, you have to organize your life. I agree!

It sounds like you knwo your problems. That's half of the way to solving your problems. The other half is having the discipline to do it. Sometimes, you just have to sit down and not get up and do your work, man.

Also, you can't do anything about the past, but you can do something about the present. Dont' look back with regrets. Just learn from your mistakes and move forward. Only you can do it. Pharmacy schools don't care about HS, but when you get to college, don't mess up, otherwise it will take you a long time to get into pharmacy school.