I need to take another math class.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school's program requires 6 credit hours of math. I've already clipped out of Calc 1 through the AP test. I could either take Trig or Calc 2. The OAT only goes up to trig anyway, right? So it might be a good review for me. I'm just scared that the interview committee would think I took the 'easy way out' if I don't take Calc 2 instead. ><

I did set up an appointment with my advisor, but she's on vacation for a week. Grr! :[

Members don't see this ad.

The school's program requires 6 credit hours of math. I've already clipped out of Calc 1 through the AP test. I could either take Trig or Calc 2. The OAT only goes up to trig anyway, right? So it might be a good review for me. I'm just scared that the interview committee would think I took the 'easy way out' if I don't take Calc 2 instead. ><

I did set up an appointment with my advisor, but she's on vacation for a week. Grr! :[
would it really matter? its not like a bio or a chemistry class, its just math. in comparison, calc 2 would be MUCH more work than trig, so really you would save a lot of time that you could devote to something else more directly related with opto...perhaps even shadowing or something!

i agree with sportsdude, calc 2 would be a complete waste of time and it is definitely useless for the OAT..i think it'd be a wise decision to take trig. you won't be hindered by not having calc 2 under your belt. I didn't take it and the interviewers didn't even care..in fact, I got a C+ in calc 1 and they didn't even bring that up..don't waste your time and effort

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! :]

I was just a tad worried because I thought challenging yourself would look better on your application.

Just another question about classes: Did your program require Organic Chem 2? Mine doesn't, and I don't know if I should go ahead and take it.

Thanks guys! :]

I was just a tad worried because I thought challenging yourself would look better on your application.

Just another question about classes: Did your program require Organic Chem 2? Mine doesn't, and I don't know if I should go ahead and take it.
mine did...
it required calc 2 as well. and 3, and stuff beyond that. thats why i recommend not taking that stuff =]
but as for organic 2, it definitely wouldnt hurt to take it, especially for the oat and such if you havent taken that.
if you dont want to take it, its one of those classes (i think) that just builds on the fundamentals of the first one, so you can just memorize the number of different mechanisms and syntheses in order to understand the material. personally, when i took the course i didnt really pay attention throughout. i was pretty much screwed going into the final, but what i did was google "organic chemistry 2 reactions" and i found a ton of websites that gave me all the general reactions for organic 2, memorized them, and came out with an A...so its all how you approach it i guess

mine did...
it required calc 2 as well. and 3, and stuff beyond that. thats why i recommend not taking that stuff =]
but as for organic 2, it definitely wouldnt hurt to take it, especially for the oat and such if you havent taken that.
if you dont want to take it, its one of those classes (i think) that just builds on the fundamentals of the first one, so you can just memorize the number of different mechanisms and syntheses in order to understand the material. personally, when i took the course i didnt really pay attention throughout. i was pretty much screwed going into the final, but what i did was google "organic chemistry 2 reactions" and i found a ton of websites that gave me all the general reactions for organic 2, memorized them, and came out with an A...so its all how you approach it i guess

I have to disagree with the bold statement. Not only did I have questions on the OAT that came straight from Organic 2 (that the specific mechanisms weren't taught in Organic 1), but some of the optometry schools require two semesters of organic.

But on the main topic, you should take trig. Having a really solid grasp of trig will help so much more on the OAT than calc 2. Just so you know though, I believe there are certain schools that don't accept AP credits for required courses. I was opted out of a general education writing course because of my SAT scores, but I still needed to fulfill the required amount of English/writing courses required by the optometry schools.