I need some serious help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celtics1215

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry & Psychology
Overall GPA: 2.62
Prereq GPA: 3.61 without including my chem physics and bio labs because they were separate from the actual lecture (lecture 3 credits lab 1 credit) so I'm not sure if the labs are included in the prereq GPA, but I receives A's in all 6 of those classes
GRE: 4.0 writing and combined 298 I don't really remember what I got on both portions but I know combined it was 298

I was the President of Operation Smile at my school as well and I played intramural sports not sure if that really counts as an extracurricular or not

I have over 100 just volunteer hours but both the physical therapy places where I volunteered hired me as a Physical Therapy Tech and I know some schools (University of St Augustine) accepts hours working under a PT as well, and I work at least 30 hours a week combined at both places so I have an abundance of hours. I also assume if they liked me enough to hire me they would be able to write a pretty good reference letter. As well as these outpatient hours I've had hours doing co-treatments with occupational therapist and physical therapist when I was initially volunteering with an OT in a hospital, nursing home, and children's setting.

I was basically just wondering if I really stand a chance at all with my low overall GPA. As you can tell I had a ton of fun in college and really didn't study much at all, which is why my overall GPA is so low. I really want to apply to the University of St. Augustine (preferably the St. Augustine campus but I would go to any of them) and I know they only look at the prerequisite GPA if I've read everything correctly. I just want to know if I actually stand a chance at getting in and if anyone knew of any other schools for me to look into. I'm really trying to go to school anywhere in 2013 I just want to start school ASAP.

PS the other day Drexel University sent me an application that had all my information already filled out and waived the application fee, but I wasn't sure what was up with that because I saw they required a minimum 3.0 GPA, which I do not have.

Members don't see this ad.

well your pre-req GPA is good, and it sounds like you have an abundance of observation hours. Idk how the new GRE works, i tested on the old version. All these threads that have people asking "am I good enough" or "what are my chances" are very common. Some are looking for legitimate responses bc they are borderline, and some are just asking to have ppl tell them what they already know- that they have more than enough to get in to PT school. But they all end up telling everyone that if PT school is what they want to do, then they need to fight for it and not give up (which is true). But sometimes ppl on here give people false hope. I think ultimately your GPA will do you in. Unless you can raise it to a 2.9, then you might have to ask some ppl on here about what schools admit ppl with 2.9's, maybe a 2.8. But if you GPA continues to hover around a 2.6, then its a no- especially when most programs have a 3.0 minimum (and sometimes its the first thing they look at, and if you dont meet it, then your application goes in the reject pile and they dont even bother looking at the rest of it). I know this isnt what you want to hear, but you are obviously posting on here to receive some sort of response/feedback. And with the stats you have shared, Im going to assume you have prepared yourself for negative feedback. Some ppl may disagree with what I'm saying, but if you were sitting on an admissions board and you came across a application with a 2.6 GPA tend to think you would lean towards not admitting them either. But i will leave you with a positive note-all the rest of your packet would prob look good (esp. if you got A's in your remaining classes) and all you need is one interview to prove yourself and explain why you had such a low GPA. Interviewers can be forgiving, and can look past things if they think they see the potential there.

wow, DPThopeful, that is negative! Personally I don't agree with all of what this person is saying, especially as you've shown a dramatic improvement since you've become serious about becoming a PT. It's definitely going to be harder with your low overall GPA, but it looks like you've already done some research in regards to schools that overlook this and from the sounds of it you're willing to go anywhere as long as it means you're in school. If what you say about St. Augustine not looking at your overall GPA is true, then that's probably your best bet and I would think you have a good chance. I believe that St Augustine takes applicants three times a year and I've heard there are very few applicants for their winter and summer starts so that might be something to think about in terms of bettering your chances. I would talk to different schools that you are interested in versus posting on this forum as they're going to be able to give you a much better idea of your chances and what you can do to improve them. In regards to schools that might be good to look into - Samuel Merritt I know has a 2.8 overall GPA requirement. Touro in Nevada, ATStill, Western U in California, and Marymount are a few. There are also non-accredited schools - you are taking a risk here, but it's another possibility. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that I just already graduated so there's no way of actually changing your undergraduate GPA after you've already graduated. I know it's completely my fault but when I was in school I didn't think it would matter if I got C's in classes like philosophy, art history, etc (I went to a liberal arts college) when I got A's in Anatomy&Phys, Chem, Physics, and other science/math classes. So does anyone else know of any schools besides University of St. Augustine that look at the prereq GPA and not the overall. I was looking at Western University in California and my prereq GPA there is a 3.81 but they're overall required is 2.8 I believe.

your overall GPA includes the courses you took outside of those taken during your time at the liberal arts college - it includes everything.....meaning A&P, physics, chem should be included in that calculation. Did you include those? Maybe you actually do have a 3.0 and that's why Drexel sent you the application.

Your overall GPA will definitely hurt you, but it will not deep six your application. If your pre-req GPA is good, say 3.6 or 3.7, you have a chance. I've met students who had a 3.0 overall GPA at other schools, but a great pre-req GPA. Your pre-req GPA might be the most important factor that schools consider. Saint Augustine is forgiving about a low overall GPA, and puts much more emphasis on the interview and your personal essay. If you have plenty of experience, extra-curriculars, and good references, you have a real chance. If the school, however, demands a minimum 3.0 overall GPA, don't apply.

Kevin

The 2.62 includes all the work I've done besides 2 As in A&P, which I took right after I graduated. Yeah I understand what you're saying it's just pretty hard to find schools that don't require a 3.0. I couldn't believe I let my GPA actually get that low after the first 2 years I had a 3.4 overall then I turned 21 and it all went downhill.

greenwoodwa- i know it is a negative post, but Im not going to lie to celtics. Celtics obviously is looking for some honest feedback and advice, and I gave it to them. I never said that they couldnt or wont get into PT school, BUT what i was getting at was that if they didnt get in to PT school it would most likely be because of the low GPA. Btw, Drexel does that for anyone that shows interest in their program, b/c i looked into them last year, and they sent me an application and waived my fee. We are all adults (or I would think we are) and most of us are either graduated or graduating college and looking to apply to PT school, or are in the process of doing it, so I'm not going to sugar coat anything for anybody. Sorry if you think I should, but like i said, we're adults. Do you think a PT prgm is going to sugar coat things and spoon feed you when you get in to a prgm? big negative....

Univ. of Las Vegas GPA min. 2.75. ((and Touro NV is 2.8)) but they didn't even invite me for an interview, and most likely take more instate apps. Touro NV 2.7 might be your best chance, call, apply early...... no interviews, they start filling seats in October. Good luck.......BTW my GPA at app time was 2.8 I raised it to 3.1 after acceptance. I've not seen any below 2.7. I was able to get an interview at NAU.......whose min. is 3.0 and waitlisted #7.!! and at ATStill AZ. So go figure. Don't give up........be your best advocate, make those contacts early. Also if you did any community college classes......that figures in your overall PTCAS GPA- should count as undergrad too since its not grad level # classes......but not sure on that last statement-you can call PTCAS and ask how it figures in.......then take some CC classes to pull up the GPA. GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Univ. of Las Vegas GPA min. 2.75. ((and Touro NY is 2.8)) but they didn't even invite me for an interview, and most likely take more instate apps. Touro NV 2.7 might be your best chance, call, apply early...... no interviews, they start filling seats in October. Good luck.......BTW my GPA at app time was 2.8 I raised it to 3.1 after acceptance. I've not seen any below 2.7. I was able to get an interview at NAU.......whose min. is 3.0 and waitlisted #7.!! and at ATStill AZ. So go figure. Don't give up........be your best advocate, make those contacts early. Also if you did any community college classes......that figures in your overall PTCAS GPA- should count as undergrad too since its not grad level # classes......but not sure on that last statement-you can call PTCAS and ask how it figures in.......then take some CC classes to pull up the GPA. GOOD LUCK

touro ny is 2.8?? where do you see that??
i thought they were 3

thanks

I would say don't freak out . Your best bet is st aug. or other private schools. State schools may be very hard to get into with your overall.

Some schools will count your last 60/90. I also recommend looking into those specific programs.

I think your best bet would be retaking whatever your worst classes were while you sit the year out working. Take them online and in the second summer session if possible. If they're anything like my private liberal arts college courses, they should be pretty easy if you just study. Taking a C or D off of your report card and replacing it with an A could do wonders. Try recaluclating your GPA, replacing your 3 worst classes with As to see where that gets you. Definitely apply to St. Augustine, but remember that all you're guaranteed is that they'll LOOK at your application, which is more than most universities would do. Retaking courses could be a huge insurance policy.

I think your best bet would be retaking whatever your worst classes were while you sit the year out working. Take them online and in the second summer session if possible. If they're anything like my private liberal arts college courses, they should be pretty easy if you just study. Taking a C or D off of your report card and replacing it with an A could do wonders. Try recaluclating your GPA, replacing your 3 worst classes with As to see where that gets you. Definitely apply to St. Augustine, but remember that all you're guaranteed is that they'll LOOK at your application, which is more than most universities would do. Retaking courses could be a huge insurance policy.

Be aware that PTCAS does not drop any classes they are ALL averaged in......and many undergrad programs don't ... know your school policy regarding retakes. But retaking is a good idea to show your committment and improvement to an adm. com.

I had a 2.83 cumulative and a 3.85 pre req and got into a school with a 3.0 minimum. I think what helped me is that my last 2 years (I went back to school after graduation to do pre reqs for PT school) were really good. It's possible.

Yeah I still have to take the 2nd part of anatomy&phys in the fall and I'm taking abnormal psychology online so I'm expecting to get As in those classes as well. I actually combined my GPA from my 4 year university and the community college where I took a couple classes in high school and it brought it up to a 2.71 so maybe after getting 2 more As I can get it to at least a 2.8.