I need some advise on externships:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarext

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering, is it better to do externships at places where one would like to attend/ has a better shot at getting accepted to, or is it better to do them at high profile programs like LSU and Parkland? I am currently considering doing my externships at UCLA, UIC, and USC.

Members don't see this ad.

There are certainly several programs where an externship is critical (maybe not completely required, but key) to getting an interview. I think UCLA would be one, as they interview very few applicants for their spots. I have also heard (including from faculty) that at USC, the residents have a major say in who gets interviewed/accepted.

However, since you have the time to do at least three externships, I would highly suggest doing one of your externships at a "high profile" program such as LSU or Parkland. It's been said that externships at these programs get noticed because they know the degree of involvement at those externships, and aren't just "fluff."

I've been trying to get the same type of answers on here as well. When I've asked around at the school I currently attend, I've heard it both ways really. Most have said it really doesn't matter where you do them, as long as you do them and show you are willing to take the time to show your interest. Only 1 that i've talked to said that a high profile externship is an advantage. Im' kind of thinking that maybe just doing externships anywhere is probably all you need at this point. If you think about it, the majority of the people who match every year dont extern at LSU, Parkland, or any of those places. Hell, there are quite a few who don't even do an externship. So I guess it all depends really.